turbo underboost

corzy

Veteran Member
TDI
99 jetta
hey guys, got an engine alarm P00299 turbo-underboost
we have only owned this car for a month or so, the prior owner safetied the car 20 k before we got it, but it sat for over a year outside. not sure if this could have caused the turbo to corrode or something like that?
any suggestions.
the car is sluggish ( im used to it owning a 99 tdi with a non operational turbo, top speed is 130k, downhill, with wind :) )
so im not too worried, i know it will drive fine, just no get up and go, but soon i might tackle it...maybe.
i found online that you can only get this turbo with the exhaust mani, 850 from Germanautoparts...or just the vane itself for 100ish.
not sure how i could tell what the actual issue is.

thanks guys

corzy

Veteran Member
TDI
99 jetta
sorry, forgot to say that the car is a 2003, with 220000 km. TDI obviously, and is loaded, power,leather,moonroof etc (if all that matters)(
thanks again

corzy

Veteran Member
TDI
99 jetta
how can i tell if it is rusted out or ceased, can you watch it while the cars running? do you do this from under the car?
thanks

Ridelife

TDI
02 Jetta tdi auto, 01 Jetta tdi auto 1016 DLC-kerma tune, 2014 Passat TDI 6 speed manual
the vacuum line that goes to the turbo. you take a mitivac and pull vacuum on the actuator which looks like a waste-gate (google if nessessary). there is a rod mounted to a move-able shaft. when you pull vacuum like 20 psi it should start to move (the rode that is) and go back into the actuator. i would say it moves about a inch and a half with full suction or to the stopper which you probably cant see. if it doesn't move then actuator is probably frozen.

Monster1926

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 1.9 jetta
Or in my case my mighty vac just kept pumping because it was rusted out. My car spent most of its life in Seattle so I'm sure snowy areas are worse