alternator workshop

krober

Had a dash flash alternator workshop and the battery light was blinking. What is up? I have a 05 passat tdi with 115,000 miles and chainless. About 2 months ago I had tne belt and tightner replaced. Thanks for any imput. kr

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Did you have the alternator pulley replaced? There is an updated version. You may want to seek out a guru or a trusted place to inspect the charging system. Is it the original battery?

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
Check the voltage at the battery with the car running, if it doesn't get up to around 13.5-14 volts + it's likely the alternator or alternator pulley.

At 115 K miles it could be the alternator or the pulley. My alternator went at about 100K miles.

Here is MOGOLF's alternator pulley check:

First Use a 19 (edited)mm wrench to rotate the tensioner CCW to remove tension on the belt.

Use a popcicle stick (or other non-metal object) to lightly hold the alternator insides from turning. Grasp the pulley, and turn it clockwise (as you face it). If it engages the alternator and turns it, the pulley is good. If it fails to engage and turns but nothing happens on the inside, then it is bad. It should not engage if turned in the opposite direction.

Last edited: