40,000 Mile Service

Oilman

TDI
2003 Jetta GLSI TDI Wagon
I contacted my local dealer regarding the upcoming 40,000 Mile service on my 2003 Jetta. The quoted price and list of services is at the end of the post, but a few questions for the collective mind:

Most of this appears to be simple look and see stuff, that 1) I can do and 2) Many techs would likely skip over.

Can anyone give me a ballpark on the material cost of the replacement items listed in the service recommendation Filters, Oil, etc.?

I'm capable of attempting this myself, but my biggest drawback is time. I have two youngsters so my weekends are pretty full.

Long story short: Is it worth having the dealer do it?

General thoughts?

They run about $510.95+tax and this is what all they do. If you need an appointment or anything else just email back.
thanks.
40,000 80,000 120,000 MILE SERVICE

Engine: Change oil and oil filter
Engine: Check for leaks
Exhaust system: Check for damage and leaks
Fuel filter: replace
Battery: check electrolyte level
Battery: check
Door check straps: Lubricate
V-belt: Check tension and condition; adjust if necessary
Windshield washer: Check oil level; add if necessary; check for leaks
Automatic transmission: check for leaks
Automatic transmission final drive oil: Check level and for leaks; add if necessary
Wheels: rotate from front to rear
Headlights: adjust
Tires/spare wheel: check condition and pressure
Brake system: Check condition and pressure
Brake system: Check for damage/leaks, brake pad thickness, brake fluid level, flush.
Spark plugs: replace
Interior and exterior lights: check function
Air suspension: check for damage/leaks
Underbody: check for damage.
Air cleaner: replace filter element
Cooling system: check coolant level; add if necessary
Dust and pollen filter
Ribbed belt: check condition
Power steering: check fluid level
Drive shafts: Check Boots
Front axle: Check dust seals on ball joints, tie rod ends; check tie rods
Engine: change oil and oil filter
Engine: check for leaks
Exhaust system: Check for damage and leaks
Water separator: Drain water (TDI engine only)
Battery: check electrolyte level
Battery: Check
Door check straps: Lubricate
Dust and pollen filter (where applicable): Replace.
Cooling system: check coolant level; add if necessary
Windshield washer: check fluid level; add if necessary
Automatic shift lock: Check operation including park/neutral/safety switch
Automatic transmission: check for leaks
Manual transmission: Check oil level; add if necessary; check for leaks
Wheels: rotate from front to rear
Tires/spare wheel: check condition and pressure
Brake system: fluid flush, Check for damage/leaks, brake pad thickness and fluid level
Drive shafts: check boots
On-Board diagnostic system: check fault memory: purge if necessary
Roof frame: Clean and lubricate
Front axle: check dust seals on ball joints and tie rod ends; check tie rods.
Headlights: Adjust
Rear spoiler: Lubricate (New Beetle only)
12V starter and auxiliary battery: check
Airbag system: visual check every 12 months regardless of mileage
Road test: check kick down, braking, steering, heating and ventilation, air conditioning, power accessories and electrical systems
Tires: check tread depth, adjust tire pressures if necessary
Tire pressure monitoring system sensors: check battery charge, replace wheel electronics and aluminum valve if necessary (where applicable)
Convertible top: Check function and check roll-over protection with convertible top open.

4 CYL. $475.95 + TAX 6 CYL. $495.95 + TAX W8 $519.95 + TAX

With synthetic oil

4 CYL. $ 505.95 + TAX 6 CYL. $525.95 + TAX W8 $549.95 + TAX
5 CYL. $ 525.95+TAX
TOUAREG ALL WITH SYNTHETIC OIL

$ 659.95 + TAX

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Will they give you a credit for not having to do this one? :)
Spark plugs: replace
That is way too much $$ for this service.

You can do it for less than $100 in parts in a weekend afternoon. The money saved can more than pay for a babysitter.

Oilman

TDI
I noticed that too. They also list alot of things twice. Do any of the online parts stores (e.g. TDI Parts) offer a prepackaged parts (Filters, etc.) deal for the 40,000 Mile service?

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
yeah, both tdiparts.com and impex offer filter kits.

chromeBuddha

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual
Nice, too, that they offer the service with non-synthetic oil. Maybe a service technique to assure that you will see them many more times...

You can get a 20K mile filter kit from dieselgeek.com for ~$70. Contains 2 oil, 1 fuel, one air and one cabin filter. There are some videos on the fuel filter and airfilter replacement.

Most, if not all of that can be done on ramps (other than the tire changess) if that uncomplicates it a bit...

Let me know if you want a hand (or even 2). My garage is torn up ATM, but I can certainly provide any tools you are short if you want to do it at your place.

Oilman

TDI
Thanks for the offer. If I get stuck I may give you a shout. I'm excited to give this a try. I'll be replacing that faulty temp sensor at the same time.

Oilman

TDI
chromeBuddha said:
Nice, too, that they offer the service with non-synthetic oil. Maybe a service technique to assure that you will see them many more times...

What is the group consensus on which Oil to use? Synthetic, I know, but which one?

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oilman said:
What is the group consensus on which Oil to use? Synthetic, I know, but which one?
A quick search on the subject will reveal that there IS no consensus. Use an oil that meets the specs in your owners manual, is easily available and reasonably priced.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
A lot of that "Check XXXXXX" can be done in a minute or so by a look in the engine compartment and under the vehicle. Whenever I rotate my tires, I ALWAYS look at the drive axle and steering rack boots, and run my finger around them at the same time to make sure I'm not missing any splits, or the start of a split. I look at the ball joint boot at the same time. I also check both the inner and outer brake pad thickness at this time.

As for the transaxle, if you have no leaks, or gear oil coatiing the exterior (other than a slight weepage), there is no way the transaxle can be low on lubricant, unless the factory did not fill it all the way, which is highly unlikely.

You get good at all this stuff after you do it a couple of times.

I lube the door hinges and check rods and the latches (trunk and hood too) and the sunroof tracks every time I change the oil.

--Nate

chromeBuddha

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual
Mobil Delvac 1 if you can find it. I use Shell Rotella T Synthetic. ~$16/gallon at Walmart. The change is supposed to take 4.5L, so you will need 2 (not sure if they sell it in quarts) gallons and the left over will sit for 10K miles until your next change...

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
It will probably make you feel a bit better to have an experienced TDI-Club member "hold your hand" the first time, and since ChromeBuddha offered, I think taking him up on it would be your best option !!!

Just an addition to his post: the Shell "Rotella-T" he mentioned is the 5W-40 weight one in the Blue jug at WalMart...

All the best,

Yuri.

PS: my usual links for New-Bies:

Parts Suppliers:
www.metalmanparts.com
www.tdiparts.com
www.dieselgeek.com
www.worldimpex.com
Bleached Bora’s reference list: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=97080

How-To's:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=569892 (Wingnut's "how-to" message thread)
T
iming Belt replacement procedure (download the file... just for your info, although it doesn't include the water pump replacement - considered essential!!!)
http://pics.tdiclub.com/pdf/a4timingbelt.pdf
http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=18588&si=5254timing_belt_check list.pdf (Oldpoopie’s checkoff list)

Quick-Time Videos:
http://pics2.tdiclub.com/video/cincitdi/oilextraction.html
http://pics2.tdiclub.com/video/cincitdi/snowscreen.html
http://pics2.tdiclub.com/video/cincitdi/fuelfilter.html
http://pics2.tdiclub.com/video/cincitdi/coolantmigration.html

Oilman

TDI
Thanks for all of the input. I'll likely tackle it over one of the next few Saturdays. I bought the filter kit from TDIParts.com and will get the oil shortly. It looks like the "Major" Items: Oil Filter, Fuel Filter, are well covered in the How To Videos so I'm going to give it a run on my own. My B-I-L has a full set of Metric tools so we'll see how well we can do.

Thanks again,

Jay

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Oilman said:
It looks like the "Major" Items: Oil Filter, Fuel Filter, are well covered in the How To Videos so I'm going to give it a run on my own.
Good for you !!! Just keep in mind that on the 2003's (2002's as well), the cabin filter replacement can be VERY tricky... there's some sort of baffle in the way of getting it pushed back into the housing...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=968305

(I would still take ChromeBuddha up on his offer...)

Yuri.

Last edited:

dmwogan

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GL TDI, 5A
Diesel Geek has a good kit for 20k miles worth of filters. Used it on my 60k service a few weeks ago. Just bought some plain old Castrol TXT at the dealer. Figure I saved myself at least $100 easily.

Oilman

TDI
Thanks for the link YMZ, that was helpful. I realize hooking up with ChromeBuddha would be the smart way to go, but I'm one of those people that absolutely hates to impose on others, and I've got an independent streak a mile wide. He's a really good and helpful guy so I may touch base with him if I get stuck, but am still pretty confident I can tackle it myself. The advice on this forum is great.

Wish me luck.

Cheers!

Oilman