www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old July 10th, 2019, 09:30   #466
wally_world_jb

Looks great @ZygoteBros ! -- and visually similar to my results as well. I look forward to hearing updates down the road to see how it's working out, and I'll do the same!
wally_world_jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2019, 23:03   #467
Zygote Bros

TDI(s): 2014 JSW TDI

Thanks! It's hard to tell from the pictures, but the car was raised evenly front and rear. Perhaps a 1/4" more in the rear. Does not have as much rake front to rear compared with the Jetta Towing springs.

Last edited by Zygote Bros; July 11th, 2019 at 23:06.
Zygote Bros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2019, 17:41   #468
D-Cup
Veteran Member

Wondering if anyone has run BF Goodrich AT-KO2 in size 215/65-16 on their lifted Sportwagen or Jetta?
I just finished a camping road trip across TX, NM, & AZ in my “new” 2012 JSW and employed my Panzer Plate a little more than I wanted. So I’m wondering if these would actually fit?
I mounted 225/50-18 on my 2010 Jetta which required spacers for the rear tire as to clear the wheel-well liner - wondering if spacers would be required to fit the BFG-ATs.
D-Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2019, 09:17   #469
Zygote Bros

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally_world_jb View Post
Looks great @ZygoteBros ! -- and visually similar to my results as well. I look forward to hearing updates down the road to see how it's working out, and I'll do the same!
Just got back from a 1500+ mile trip. Here's the verdict:

1. Car sits perfectly for me. Raised pretty evenly all around, perhaps slightly more in the rear, but not like the Jetta towing springs.

2. Still think the rear needs stiffer rear struts. The back end wallows a bit. May consider either Koni Special Active for a Tiguan or Bilstein HD for a Jetta. Koni Special Active for the front seems to be pretty good.

3. Tires are perfect! 225x50x17 Continentals on OEM 17x7 Vision V wheels. Seems to be a pretty small effect on gas mileage over the stock setup, I averaged a "corrected" 35-38 mpg on the trip so I was pleasantly surprised.

4. Car needs an upgraded rear sway bar. Too much understeer.

That's my story, here's a pic!

Last edited by Zygote Bros; July 27th, 2019 at 21:52.
Old July 25th, 2019, 16:51   #470
AllieJetta

Firstly, please please resize your photo, it's way too big and causes the formatting all out for the page.

Second, whats your measured height from road to bottom lips of fenders F / R? I just installed the Tiguan front springs and Euro Tow Springs rear with 225/50R17 tires on my car as well, with the Koni shocks front and rear and it seems to sit differently from yours.
AllieJetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2019, 22:32   #471
Zygote Bros

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieJetta View Post
Firstly, please please resize your photo, it's way too big and causes the formatting all out for the page.

Second, whats your measured height from road to bottom lips of fenders F / R? I just installed the Tiguan front springs and Euro Tow Springs rear with 225/50R17 tires on my car as well, with the Koni shocks front and rear and it seems to sit differently from yours.
Where on the bottom lips of the fenders do you want me to measure? At the rocker panel? I did measure previously at the top of the fender arch (see my post on 7/9/19, before I installed the larger tires/wheels).

I have Tiguan rear springs, part number 3C0511115AG (see post on 5/28/19). This spring sits at least a 1/2 inch or so lower than the towing springs.

Last edited by Zygote Bros; July 26th, 2019 at 00:51.
Old July 29th, 2019, 11:21   #472
AllieJetta

Zygote - So your final measurements to the top of the fender lip was approx 27.75 FR / 28 RR? Interesting.

Wally World - Looking at your final measurements you're sitting at approximately the same? Seems unusual since you're both using different springs.

Obviously tires play a large part in this measurement, but I just installed the Tiguan fronts and Towing rear with the Koni Actives, and I am sitting at around 29" overall, with 205/55/17 Tires. I found the ride better now than with stock struts and springs. I'll be installing 205/65/16 snow tires for the winter as well.

Last edited by AllieJetta; July 29th, 2019 at 11:24.
AllieJetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2019, 14:51   #473
Zygote Bros

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieJetta View Post
Zygote - So your final measurements to the top of the fender lip was approx 27.75 FR / 28 RR? Interesting.

Wally World - Looking at your final measurements you're sitting at approximately the same? Seems unusual since you're both using different springs.

Obviously tires play a large part in this measurement, but I just installed the Tiguan fronts and Towing rear with the Koni Actives, and I am sitting at around 29" overall, with 205/55/17 Tires. I found the ride better now than with stock struts and springs. I'll be installing 205/65/16 snow tires for the winter as well.
Just went to the garage to measure again. The previous measurements were with the stock tires. With the 225x50x17 tires, the measurements are now 28" and 28 1/4" with a nearly full tank of fuel.

The towing springs I had on the previous wagen were a 1/2" higher in the rear. The rake was noticeably different. I had Koni Yellows on that car (shouldn't make a difference, though).

Based on the Suplex specs I had listed for the various Tiguan springs, the "AG" springs did exactly what I expected compared to the towing springs. You really need to have cars side by side to compare.

Last edited by Zygote Bros; July 29th, 2019 at 15:02.
Old September 8th, 2019, 17:28   #474
disastrogirl

Hi, lifted people!

I'm wondering if your lift has affected your fuel mileage.
Old September 8th, 2019, 18:08   #475
wally_world_jb

Quote:
Originally Posted by disastrogirl View Post
Hi, lifted people!

Haven't seen any change...I'm consistently averaging 35-36 around town and 40-42 highway, depending on how loaded up I am. DSG. Riding on LLR touring tires, not super-sticky performance tires.

3 months, two road trips, and several thousand miles since lifting and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk
wally_world_jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2019, 10:48   #476
Drclaw

Just ordered koni ASD struts. Planning on pairing with the idparts spring kit. Any good tutorial on doing the work?
Drclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2019, 13:17   #477
Zygote Bros

Quote:
Originally Posted by disastrogirl View Post
Hi, lifted people!

I don't think the lift itself affects fuel mileage much, it will depend more on what wheel/tire combination you put on after the lift. I'm guessing I lost 1 mpg with my wheel/tire combination (36-37 highway currently).
Old October 1st, 2019, 09:56   #478
Drclaw

Could use a little help. I installed the koni reds and vw towing springs on the rear this past weekend. I have the hardware for the front but haven't done them yet. Install went fine, no real issues. I've been driving the car the last two days, 30 miles each day, and today I noticed a very faint speed depdnednt knock on the rear tire. Sounds like it's coming from the driver side rear. Very faint but there. I haven't gotten an alignment yet because I'm going to so the fronts this coming weekend.

Thoughts on what this could be? I pulled off the tire wheel well liners to clean and reinstalled on both sides. I did a quick visual check and didn't see anything obvious but haven't gotten under the car yet.

I should also mention that I had trouble with the strut top but when installing. The koni instructions were difficult to follow as they showed multiple configurations. My struts came with two top nuts per strut. They were both nylock nuts. I was able to get the first one started and put an Allen key in the middle of the strut then co your torquing with a ratcheting wrench. I snugged that down (didn't torque to spec) since I couldn't get a torque wrench on it, and then put the other bolt ontop and tightened that down. I'm guessing this is my issue. Does everyone use that vw strut socket tool when installing atruts? Anyone have experience with using the double nut setup?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Drclaw; October 1st, 2019 at 12:32.
Old October 3rd, 2019, 21:23   #479
Zygote Bros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drclaw View Post
Could use a little help. I installed the koni reds and vw towing springs on the rear this past weekend. I have the hardware for the front but haven't done them yet. Install went fine, no real issues. I've been driving the car the last two days, 30 miles each day, and today I noticed a very faint speed depdnednt knock on the rear tire. Sounds like it's coming from the driver side rear. Very faint but there. I haven't gotten an alignment yet because I'm going to so the fronts this coming weekend.

Thoughts on what this could be? I pulled off the tire wheel well liners to clean and reinstalled on both sides. I did a quick visual check and didn't see anything obvious but haven't gotten under the car yet.

I should also mention that I had trouble with the strut top but when installing. The koni instructions were difficult to follow as they showed multiple configurations. My struts came with two top nuts per strut. They were both nylock nuts. I was able to get the first one started and put an Allen key in the middle of the strut then co your torquing with a ratcheting wrench. I snugged that down (didn't torque to spec) since I couldn't get a torque wrench on it, and then put the other bolt ontop and tightened that down. I'm guessing this is my issue. Does everyone use that vw strut socket tool when installing atruts? Anyone have experience with using the double nut setup?
Thanks in advance!
I'd guess I'd be rechecking the installation of the strut mounts. Often they are the source of noise.

On another note, I replaced the Jetta Koni Special Active rear struts with Tiguan Koni SA struts. I also replaced the stock rear sway bar with a GTI rear sway bar.

The rear end is now very tight and well controlled. Reduced understeer. Not harsh. Before, the rear wallowed, not uncontrollably, but it was soft. The Jetta Konis were underdamped for the springs. Not now. Some may actually make the case it's too firm but not for me. I'll see how it reacts with a heavy load. The other plus is the rear no longer "clunks" when aggressively driven over large speed bumps. I think the Jetta rear shocks hit their extension limit.

Overall, I am very happy with the changes. IMHO Tiguan struts for the rear only is much better for a Sportwagen than Jetta struts. I can see using the Tiguan rear struts in OEM or Bilstein Comfort (B4) stiffness if one is sensitive to ride. Definitely no stiffer than the Koni Special actives. The GTI sway bar (available used for well under $100) is a no brainer, along with new bushings ($22 for the pair).

Last edited by Zygote Bros; October 3rd, 2019 at 21:37.
Old October 4th, 2019, 06:57   #480
Drclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zygote Bros View Post
I'd guess I'd be rechecking the installation of the strut mounts. Often they are the source of noise.

On another note, I replaced the Jetta Koni Special Active rear struts with Tiguan Koni SA struts. I also replaced the stock rear sway bar with a GTI rear sway bar.

The rear end is now very tight and well controlled. Reduced understeer. Not harsh. Before, the rear wallowed, not uncontrollably, but it was soft. The Jetta Konis were underdamped for the springs. Not now. Some may actually make the case it's too firm but not for me. I'll see how it reacts with a heavy load. The other plus is the rear no longer "clunks" when aggressively driven over large speed bumps. I think the Jetta rear shocks hit their extension limit.

Overall, I am very happy with the changes. IMHO Tiguan struts for the rear only is much better for a Sportwagen than Jetta struts. I can see using the Tiguan rear struts in OEM or Bilstein Comfort (B4) stiffness if one is sensitive to ride. Definitely no stiffer than the Koni Special actives. The GTI sway bar (available used for well under $100) is a no brainer, along with new bushings ($22 for the pair).
Your using Tiguan rear springs correct? How do you think the Tiguan konis would pair with the jsw towing springs? The tow springs are even taller than the Tiguan springs, correct?

Where did you source your sway bar?