www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old July 10th, 2019, 20:54   #16
beechfront

TDI(s): mk7 golf

I just realized my last reply to this thread did not actually post.

--

So anyway I did the trip and am back. Was about 7,300 miles round trip, 13 days. The Dempster portion ended up being 1,122 miles round trip after driving to Tuktoyaktuk.

--

The car performed great. Would I have rather had a truck on that 1,100 miles of rock/mud/gravel? yeah. But I would not have wanted to pay the fuel bill getting up there. At 50mpg average I spent less than $450 on fuel which to me is just amazing considering how I drove. The 600+ mile range was extremely comforting as well. Only issue with the car was intermittent TPMS errors only on the Dempster which I assume was due to massive amounts of dust / mud. More of an annoyance than anything. Once back on hard top did not have another error.
--
As I had said in my previous missing post... I had decided against the extra fuel and 3rd tire as did not have room for them after I got all my camping gear, photography gear, clothes, cooler, etc. in the car. No flats though was very comforting knowing I had the full size spare in there. I brought along some power service diesel kleen + cetane boost which I added as I got further north and the fuel sources were somewhat questionable. Probably didn't make a bit of difference but same with the full-size spare.... made me feel better.
--
I also want to say that the extra power thanks to the tune (malone) was very welcome through the mountains and for extra passing power on the highway.
--
Since this was originally intended to be more of a thread about mechanical aspects of taking a long road trip with a TDI... I'm not going to discuss the actual trip too much. I have another thread specific to the trip itself where I will post some more details/pictures of my travels if anyone is interested.
beechfront is offline   Reply With Quote