axle replacement B5.5

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Before I get started, are there any tricks to R&R these guys? I've done B4s so I'm going in assuming a big 3/4" drive socket and breaker bar and my trusty slide hammer to free it from the bearing/knuckle. Until I get a Bentley CD, I need the torque value of the nut. BTW, where's a good source to get a CD? The last one I got for my B4 left out the TDI engine.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Thx Oilhammer. Splines do look shorter than B4 so I won't have to detach the ball joints. Is it necessary to torque the nut or just give it a good snug with the cheater? I sure wish you were closer so I could get you to do some jobs for me. I don't know any trusty VW mechanics here and I'm working all week in Pittsburgh so I need to back off some. Are there any good sites like Angies blessed by TDIclub members for us to use?

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Thx Oilhammer. Splines do look shorter than B4 so I won't have to detach the ball joints. Is it necessary to torque the nut or just give it a good snug with the cheater? I sure wish you were closer so I could get you to do some jobs for me. I don't know any trusty VW mechanics here and I'm working all week in Pittsburgh so I need to back off some. Are there any good sites like Angies blessed by TDIclub members for us to use?
If you are refering to the hub side of the axle on the B5 it is a bolt. And, depending on the bolt that came with it, (one of two types...6 point and 12 point) the torque setting is vastly different. I don't have the values in front of me but just so you know.
Either is a one-time-use stretch bolt. I will post them when I get to the info if someone else does not.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The dealer told me those bolts are M10x14 on the TDI and recommends replacing them. The "how to" is probably for a VR6 car so the bolts are much larger or the author inadvertantly called out M14 for the small one but probably meant M10x14. 114N-M= 84 ft-lbs +1/2 turn-sounds right for a 10mm stretch bolt. Agree?

Last edited:

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Plan to replace and already have the axles. That bolt in your metalman site sure is longer than 14 mm. Billco Motors in Wexford,PA who does hundreds of cv replacements told me not to replace the bolt and they never do unless they're damaged. Maybe they've been lucky? Maybe they'd like to see me mess up for not bringing it in. Got a source for the bolt only?

Last edited:

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi TTqTDI, B4V, B5.5V, '12 NMS SEL
The dealer told me those bolts are M10x14 on the TDI and recommends replacing them. The "how to" is probably for a VR6 car so the bolts are much larger or the author inadvertantly called out M14 for the small one but probably meant M10x14. 114N-M= 84 ft-lbs +1/2 turn-sounds right for a 10mm stretch bolt. Agree?
1. Beware, your dealer is wrong. I am 99% sure they are M16 bolts on the end of the TDI axles. And as such they require 190Nm + 1/2 turn.

2. They are certainly not M10, and 84 ft-lbs + 1/2 turn will snap an M10, so there is more proof it is wrong.

3. I suspect your dealer has confused the 6 bolts that attach the inner CV joint flange to the transmission output flange. They are M10 x 14mm and should be torqued to 55 ft-lbs if I recall correctly.

Last edited:

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1. Beware, your dealer is wrong. I am 99% sure they are M16 bolts on the end of the TDI axles. And as such they require 190Nm + 1/2 turn.

2. They are certainly not M10, and 84 ft-lbs + 1/2 turn will snap an M10, so there is more proof it is wrong.

3. I suspect your dealer has confused the 6 bolts that attach the inner CV joint flange to the transmission output flange. They are M10 x 14mm and should be torqued to 55 ft-lbs if I recall correctly.
I'm inclined to agree with you. Unless one talks to an honest mechanic at the dealership, he shouldn't take anything they say as truth. Surely there's a source for bolts only. What does everyone on the forum do if they have to replace a transaxle or anything else that requires the axle bolt removal?

Last edited:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Plan to replace and already have the axles. That bolt in your metalman site sure is longer than 14 mm. Billco Motors in Wexford,PA who does hundreds of cv replacements told me not to replace the bolt and they never do unless they're damaged. Maybe they've been lucky? Maybe they'd like to see me mess up for not bringing it in. Got a source for the bolt only?

1. The bolt is 14mm in diameter, 72 mm long.
2. Run, do not walk away from Billco Motors. That is a single use stretch bolt
and it must be replaced. Unless, of course, you are willing to risk major
damage to your front suspension.
3. The part number is 4B0407643A. $10.00 at www.worldimpex.com.

Good luck!

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Good luck!
Lots of opinions here and elsewhere. Does VW stipulate it to be a one timer somewhere? Or are you making that assumption based on torque to value+ 1/2 turn? I can't fathom a dealer telling me they don't replace it as it would surely open them up to lawsuits in a catastophic failure. Maybe they've been lucky.

Last edited:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Please see the attached suspension servicing section from the Bentley manual. Item 17 is the bolt in question and the manual specifically states "Replace each time". Show that "opinion" to your dealer!;) The diagram is on P.2 and the description is on P.4.

Last edited:

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Please see the attached suspension servicing section from the Bentley manual. Item 17 is the bolt in question and the manual specifically states "Replace each time". Show that "opinion" to your dealer!;) The diagram is on P.2 and the description is on P.4.

I'm convinced-bolts ordered-dealer sucks. BTW,is Bentley used by dealers ie VW approved?

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Bentley is the "official" VW manual publisher.

The job isn't actually that difficult. I just replaced one with a Raxle rebuilt unit a couple of months ago and it took me a little over an hour. Use the procedure in post #5 above; it is easy to follow.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
No dealers use Bentley stuff. That is for the DIYr.

erWin would be the closest thing you could get to ELSAweb.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
Since you didn't specifically mention it: You are replacing the axles with OEM new or rebuilt units, correct? Most of the Chinese aftermarket axles cause annoying vibrations in gear at idle.

If you have aftermarket axles, think twice and then bring them back.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Since you didn't specifically mention it: You are replacing the axles with OEM new or rebuilt units, correct? Most of the Chinese aftermarket axles cause annoying vibrations in gear at idle.

If you have aftermarket axles, think twice and then bring them back.
I 've had really good luck with Autozone's stuff. We need to support Autozone or they'll end up with Advance garbage. The store I went to get these items was dead. Autozone is really trying hard to give us good products. The starter I just bought from them was remand in the US. I installed the right cv axle yesterday and no vibrations. The box said they were remand in Mexico. I don't buy any aftermarket Chineese products.

Last edited:

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
if its an autozone axle, it won't be A Vw oem axle.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
how would one know-see if I can find the VW logo stamped into it?
I don't think that there is anything stamped into the axle tube. VW axles have a white label on them with the barcode and part number. If it was remanufactured, that will be gone, so there's no way to tell until/unless it starts vibrating. Good luck!

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
It could be a Chinese axle reman in Mexico. Often the vibration shows up after 5000 miles if not right away with the non oem replacement stuff.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'll post up again in 5k and we'll see. Until I get junk from Autozone, I'll continue using them. I'm at 40k on their B4 starter.

jables

TDI
B5.5 Passat
I just got axles from firestone. I needed them last minute for a road trip and they put them on the same day.
I haven't noticed excessive vibration at idle and the price was fair. Lifetime warranty on the axles and 1 year on the labor.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I just got axles from firestone. I needed them last minute for a road trip and they put them on the same day.
I haven't noticed excessive vibration at idle and the price was fair. Lifetime warranty on the axles and 1 year on the labor.

Which on Chinese axles means a lifetime of replacing them. :(

You'd better get your old axles back if you can.

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi TTqTDI, B4V, B5.5V, '12 NMS SEL

Good luck!
Just to avoid future confusion, the part number is correct, but the Bolt is definitely M16 x 1.5 x 72mm long. Not 14mm as shown above.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Just to avoid future confusion, the part number is correct, but the Bolt is definitely M16 x 1.5 x 72mm long. Not 14mm as shown above.
Some are 14mm, some are 16mm. 190 ft-lbs + 1/2 turn for the 16mm, 115 ft-lbs + 1/2 turn for the 14mm.