Crazy idea involving car import from Europe (Roadtrip related)

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
OK, so I have been quite pre-occupied in the last few days planning for a trip back to Canada this summer from an extended study stint abroad.

This time my German girlfriend is joining me and we're planning on spending up to 4 weeks between visiting family and friends around Ontario, and also making a trip out to Maritime Canada and the U.S. Eastern Seaboard.

I was kept awake last night with a wacky idea: instead of the requisite rental vehicle for the time of our trip, I thought of actually shipping a vehicle from Europe before we leave, ETA to coincide before our arrival; a friend could help with receiving the car, and when we arrive we would have the car cleared customs, registered, plated, insured and ready to drive.

We use the vehicle for the period of our visit, and make arrangements to sell the car and have it picked up by the new owner just before we leave again (I have experience with this LOL).

Please talk me out of this idea, it's driving me insane! :p My GF has already shot it down. Sort of...

What models should I consider? I thought the perfect thing would be a Diesel VW Transporter (aka Eurovan) camper.

Failing that, a BMW 524td, or a Diesel Mercedes, or an Audi 100 TDI. Import rules limit vehicles at least exactly 15 years from the date of manufacture.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
How will you document the car was exported within the 12 month time frame?

PeeWee

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon, 97 Passat Sedan
The transporter would probably work because they are alredy imported. Sounds like you are looking for a buyer!

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
The camper would really be nice as it would mean no need to stay in hotels when we hit the road. We want to visit PEI, NB and NS and then returning to Ontario via Boston and New York City.

VW T4 Transporters in 1992, of which the campers were based, were "topped" with the asthmatic 80-something HP 2.4L non-turbo IDI engines (the same ones that powered very rare Canadian-spec Eurovans also) as far as Diesel options are concerned. Meaning there are EVEN lower power engines available. :eek:

On the other hand BMW 525tds (143 PS, previous to current body style) are relatively plentiful here... any interest? ;)

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
dieseldorf said:
How will you document the car was exported within the 12 month time frame?
What do you mean? I thought of importing the car into Canada and LEAVING IT THERE permanently. I would have a delivery waybill as the car is put into a container at the departing port and it will arrive and be inspected by Canada Customs and Excise right at the port of entry AFAIK. Canadian rules allow the importation of vehicles over 15 years old from date of manufacture (with some specific models excepted) without much trouble of federalizing.

DIESEL DAZZLER

Veteran Member
TDI
81VW TDI PU,94 GOLF TDI,97 PASSAT TDI,03 ,06 JETTA TDI's,KABOTA DIESEL LAWNMOWER
Importing

Bring over a diesel camper so it can be converted to TDI power.Sounds like you and the GF will be covering a lot of territory.;)

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
Oh maybe a synchro camper if you can find one, that would make it great for finding off the beaten path locations to set up camp in the evening.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
TDIMeister said:
What do you mean? I thought of importing the car into Canada and LEAVING IT THERE permanently. I would have a delivery waybill as the car is put into a container at the departing port and it will arrive and be inspected by Canada Customs and Excise right at the port of entry AFAIK. Canadian rules allow the importation of vehicles over 15 years old from date of manufacture (with some specific models excepted) without much trouble of federalizing.
Too bad this rule doesn't apply in the US. I'd love to get my hands on a transporter, although I don't want a camper. And BTW, I think you'll find camping a challenge in NYC. If you come to Boston you've got to stop by!

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
Nah, we won't camp directly in NYC obviously, but I did have a very nice stopover in a previous trip to the Big Apple around Stroudsburg, PA. Otherwise we'll find something on the outskirts of NYC, upstate or further on in the Poconos. I'll definitely make it a point to visit club members along our route. :)

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
S420 CDI (I think its the 4.2), Audi A8 TDI (350hp should cut it)

If your gonna dream, DREAM BIG!

Skype me, killing some time in FRA on Tuesday.

DB

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
And Pete, you seem to have the idea that I'm loaded with cash. Or that I am well funded somehow. Are you volunteering to help? ;)

Is air-freighting a car from Germany to North America expensive? I have been quoted round 3000 Euros from Hamburg to Montreal for a full-size ocean container, room for 2 small cars or one with tons of extra room... drive-in is much cheaper.

I'll look for you on Skype. In the meantime, let me know when you'll be in the area over a weekend, particularly in Spring. Best chance we can get together then.

Dave, I say go with the 100q 2.5 TDI. Find one in black with all the options and you might just have a buyer in Waterloo waiting at the end of your trip. Driving this VRSick is killing me milage wise ;) I'm averaging 13.5 liter per 100km! Eee gads!

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
Well, a decision on whether this is a go or not would have to occur far sooner than our arrival date in Canada (aiming for around June 23nd). I would have to secure the funds; find and buy a car; and get the ball rolling on shipping/import details by early April. NOT a lot of time.

Well email me. I always have my BlackBerry with me. I also have GTalk on it so I can chat where ever I am. In fact, I'm posting this from my Blackberry! :D

I need more details and have some questions to ask before committing.

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
Sorry, Action,

Been insanely busy at work and with studies. Hardly at home and online even less.

We'll discuss more online.

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
Importing an E34 BMW 525tds is looking like an increasingly attractive and viable proposition......

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
I was just asking Drivbiwire to satiate my curiosity since he's in the business.

TOBarber

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf SportWagon, 2012, dark gray
Why not ship from Bremerhaven to Halifax with the other VW's? I recall talking to a Eurovan owner at Don Valley who was preparing to ship from Halifax over to Bremerhaven and spend time over there. Flights to Halifax are very inexpensive as well. When I shipped my Eurovan over I flew down with my son and we had a great time driving back to Ontario.

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
I'm looking into that, and am asking for the advice of a TDIClub member who has imported several vehicles from Germany to Canada. Unfortunately, going to Halifax personally to pick the car up and go through the approval process is not in the cards because this visit I'm making in the summer is only 3 weeks long and a vacation with my GF. The last thing I would want is to waste time from our holiday plans with unexpected delays tied up between running around dockyards, MoTs, warehouses, garages and unpleasant AgCan/Customs agents. :)

I would arrange for the car to arrive before us, a broker dealing with the paperwork and someone there helping to receive the car on my behalf, and we can have the car insured, plated and ready to drive within days of our arrival in Montreal.

Last edited:

TOBarber

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf SportWagon, 2012, dark gray
TDIMeister said:
I'm looking into that, and am asking for the advice of a TDIClub member who has imported several vehicles from Germany to Canada. Unfortunately, going to Halifax personally to pick the car up and go through the approval process is not in the cards because this visit I'm making in the summer is only 3 weeks long and a vacation with my GF. The last thing I would want is to waste time from our holiday plans with unexpected delays tied up between running around dockyards, MoTs, warehouses, garages and unpleasant AgCan/Customs agents. :)

I would arrange for the car to arrive before us, a broker dealing with the paperwork and someone there helping to receive the car on my behalf, and we can have the car insured, plated and ready to drive within days of our arrival in Montreal.
In 1994, when I did my new van, it took about one hour; just so long as you can pay the taxes and duties! I think they want to have things move along quickly.

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
Thanks for chiming in with your experience! I am a little more comfortable about it now. After reviewing shipping quotations, it appears it will still be cheaper for me to send a car via RoRo freight to Halifax and have it sent to Montreal/Ottawa by rail or truck. Meeting the car in Halifax is out of the question for me.