Hoodliner New OEM or Aftermarket???

navyboy65

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI Silver
Hi. some mice have been eating my hoodliner for some time on my 2003 Jetta sedan TDI and now I am ready to repalce it. I asked at the dealer how much for one and he said about $70. Does anyone have the part # for the head liner, I lost it and the part # for the clips incase I need some???
I was also thinking about aftermaket options?? Does anyone know if someone out there makes them, like in that metalic foil stuff???
Thanks, Seth

cbass94

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, 2011 JSW
I think the metallic foil stuff you're referring to is some sort of dynamat. But I don't know how well it handles the heat of an engine compartment, I'm not that familiar with it unfortunately. I'm curious to know about any aftermarket options too, if there are any.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
1J0 863 835 G sound absorber
1H5 863 849 A 01C retaining clip

RichS

Veteran Member
TDI
05 VW Jetta Wagon 5sp
navyboy65 said:
Hi. some mice have been eating my hoodliner for some time on my 2003 Jetta sedan TDI and now I am ready to repalce it. I asked at the dealer how much for one and he said about $70. Does anyone have the part # for the head liner, I lost it and the part # for the clips incase I need some???
I was also thinking about aftermaket options?? Does anyone know if someone out there makes them, like in that metalic foil stuff???
Thanks, Seth
That seems high. I have the same problem that you do and need to correct the situation before getting a new hoodliner. The dealer went ahead and ordered one for me (which I didn't ask them to do), but it was only $45.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Dynamat will handle the heat fine, but will cost twice as much as the original part. I have Dynamat directly on my PD's plastic valve cover to help quiet some of the PD's clatter...works great. I also pulled down the factory hood liner and installed Dynamat in all the low areas inbetween the hood support "frame".

cbass94

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, 2011 JSW
Good to know oilhammer, thanks. I thought it might be pricey though.

Did you really notice a difference in the noise?

Thanks for the post.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
cbass94 said:
Good to know oilhammer, thanks. I thought it might be pricey though.

Did you really notice a difference in the noise?

Thanks for the post.
Little improvement, yes. I also have a DS under pan on the car, lined with a foam sound deadener, and this winter I will be removing both front splash shields in the fender wells and lining the insides of those.

The PDs are kinda noisy with their higher injection pressures. Not inside the car, but outside. Seems like the BRM engine (A5 Jetta) is a little quieter for some reason.

gulfbear

TDI
2001 Jetta 5sp. TDI
Dynamat hoodliner through Amazon will only run you about $47 IIRC... shipping is free. Supposedly 3/4 thick with foil heat/oil shield... adhesive on the back.
It is supposed to kill 50-87 % of the engine noise... depending upon whom you believe. ;)

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I'm in the process of installing Dynamat hood liner, but I can't figure out how to stencil the low areas of the underside of the hood. Can anybody explain the procedure to me. Thanx in advance.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
oilhammer said:
Dynamat will handle the heat fine, but will cost twice as much as the original part. I have Dynamat directly on my PD's plastic valve cover to help quiet some of the PD's clatter...works great. I also pulled down the factory hood liner and installed Dynamat in all the low areas inbetween the hood support "frame".
I use a product that is like Dynamat and I really think is better but can't find the name of it. Bought a 100 ft roll for under 100$, use that first then the OEM mat and it makes the car a hit quieter. I also use it on the skid plate and all the the places I can get it into. Look around and you can find as good and cheaper stuff then Dynamat, IMO If I can find my receipt I will post where I got it.

Keven

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Anymore suggestions? I would like to put some under my headliner since its noisy up there with the roof racks and stuff on top.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE

navyboy65

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI Silver
Hey guys, Been a while since I started this thread and I kinda wated to let you all know what I did. I did get a new OEM hood liner and the Dynamat 11905 (off amazon for $40-50), I used the OEM to trace and then cut out the Dynamat.(make sure you trace it just like it's going to be installed!). I also markedand cut for the oem hood clips and installed both(Dynamat over the oem). Been on there for over a year with no problems!!

I can't really say if there was/is a noise difference, but the Dynamat is holding up just fine. My reason for needing a new hood liner in the first place was where I work up in the sticks, the dang wildlife loved to tear apart hoodliners and any other materials in peoples cars to make bedding!!! I had replaced the hoodliner once already and they had proceeded to tear that one apart too. But with the Dynamat they haven't bothered!

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
When I installed my Dynamat, I decided to use the whole piece that covered the entire underside to the hood, and it seems to be holding out very well. I could not figure out how to carve it without ruining or wasting some of the headliner. The engine, a BEW, seems to be better insulated as a result.