Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDI Wagon '13 JSW TDI '14 Touareg TDI
I'm ready to do timing belt w/water pump and extra more things,
but after receiving my order from idparts.com I'm a little disappointed
I ordered water pump by GRAF w/extra metal water gasket and received
-water pump by GEBA and paper gasket which looks like impregnated
black paper? Also timing belt by CONTITECH but belt itself made
in Romania? Water pump's impeller looks like is made from cast iron.
My question is can I install them and don't worry or should I return
the parts and get what I ordered? which will set me back
a minimum of 2-3 weeks!!!

This one ordered.

This one I received.

All is good now or even better:cool:.
Thanks guys.

Tom

Last edited:

Rattler05.5

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta 5m; For sale
I'd run the water pump. It looks much beefier than the picture of the Graf one, but looks don't equal performance.
I don't know anything about the gasket or timing belt. I'd call and discuss it with Peter (who owns idparts) and see what his thoughts are on it. It might be a quality part. I don't think he tends to sell cheap crap.

Lastly, it wouldn't take 2-3 more weeks to get the parts. Is that just when your schedule is open again?

BolaB4V

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 passat tdi wagon, 97 F-150 XLT 4x4, 99.5 Mk4 Jetta VR6/5M
The pump looks better than the one I got from autohausaz. I dont think graf are all that quality wise. I used graf once and just barely snugged the power steeing belt up and it was toast in 25k, had to do a complete water pump from the top so I wouldnt have to replace the timing belt. Have them rush you a metal gasket though.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
We've had trouble sourcing water pumps with metal impellers. Graf has stopped supplying them, although we don't know if it's temporary or not. We should change the site, however. And I think the Graf gaskets are paper composite, too, maybe not. I don't have one to look at right now.

The Continental timing belts are from Europe, and are the same spec and quality as the US packaged ones. I've quizzed my supplier hard on this as I wanted to be certain that there are no issues with this belt. If you're uncomfortable with it I'd be happy to swap it out for a Dayco belt. But I'd use it in my own car, absolutely.

Give me a call today if you want to talk about this. I'm here until about 10:30 today and back after 2:00 PM. Corey will be here all day and you can talk to him as well. 781-333-8343

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I have dealt with Peter and Corey on several issues and they have always gone above and beyond what they had to do.

I have complete confidence in them and their parts, and will continue to source them for my needs.

I had one of the Graf water pumps fail at 8-9K, necessitating a 170 mile tow home and replacement, so I bought the TB tools and learned to change them myself. The one you posted looks much beefier. I also mentioned the metal gasket to Peter, and he not only sourced one, he started carrying them for us. If one wasn't included, then he may not have been able to get it. He is very above board and honest.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
As Peter mentioned above the extra water pump gasket is a composite material - we've been told that its preferable over the metal gasket and we made the switch recently. The website and photo should have reflected this change but I haven't had an opportunity to update the product. My apologies for the confusion - we're happy to send a metal one to you if you'd prefer.

EDIT: I thought we had one metal gasket left as an extra but they are all composite, so I don't have one to ship immediately.

Last edited:

Biczek

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDI Wagon '13 JSW TDI '14 Touareg TDI
I just got off the phone with Corey and he assure me that all the
parts I received are the same quality or even better:).
That what I need to know so I can sleep better:D .
The guys in idparts are great and I will do business with them
again for sure. No need to exchange parts and downtime;).
Thanks again Corey.

Tom

ChippedNotBroken

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta A4 1999.5 Green
I like to buy my stuff from guys that are putting what they sell in their own cars. Peter is one of those guys. You can be sure that anything he sells has most likely been or will be in one of his personal vehicles.