Fuel economy differences in differing countries?

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Those of us who live close to an international border - I'm wondering about fuel economy due to fuel in differing countries. I returned from a trip from Anchorage to Skagway. A lot of the trip is in the Yukon Territory and a bit in British Columbia. I can't pin the difference to the fuel I bought in Whitehorse, but there certainly was about a 10% boost in economy on that tank. Yes it was warm that day, but I'm sure that wasn't due to only that amount of increase. I've been driving Alaska fuel on warm days and it does increase, but not so dramatically as I just noticed.

Have any of the rest of you noted fuel economy changes in, say, Canada versus the US?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I've found diesel fuel quality in Canada is significantly better than in the US. Cetane ratings are higher, and my cars typically run quieter and make more power. Many of my trips to Canada were for track days, so FE was terrible. But the cars ran great.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
I noted it was running really strong. Within a few miles on the Alaska Highway, the MFD reading was over 55 MPG. I knew that to be optimistic [I haven't had a chance to change with VAG COM yet] but still it remained high even when climbing steep sections of the road. Now how do I import some of this fuel to use all of the time? I'm sure their anti-gel properties are stringent enough to use in the banana belt of Anchorage.

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
iirc canada uses bigger imperial gallons, so at the pump the 12 gallons you got might have been like 13?

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
iirc canada uses bigger imperial gallons, so at the pump the 12 gallons you got might have been like 13?
Canada has been metric for years. Liters only now. How I wish the United States would go metric, but we continue to hold onto the "English" system despite declaring independence about 242 years ago. :rolleyes: