www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You




Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 28th, 2017, 08:20   #316
740GLE
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NH
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
The PT Cruiser alone is a rolling violation if that were the case.

the PT Cruiser was a rolling violation when the first one rolled off the assembly line!
__________________
Hers: 2015 Passat SEL (NOS) w/ VW fix and Malone Stage 2.
His: 2017 Alltrack SE, waiting for TSI to TDI conversion kits to be released.
Bought back 2010 Sedan, cog swapper, build date 07/09, BB 6/7/16. 2012 Passat, Roof+Nav, build date 05/12, BB 7/11
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2018, 09:14   #317
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member
 
turbovan+tdi's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 251 View Post
My understanding is that the manufacturers have to make parts available for 10 years (per law or an agreement) so for a 2003 VW or Ford 2013 is last year they are required to have parts available. This is one reason why the A4 platform VW's (1999.5-2004) are now slowly fading away - OEM parts are NLA and aftermarket parts are sometimes not up to OEM quality levels. Also means if one can still find OEM parts it may be cheap as suppliers do not want to keep stock on parts that there is a limited / shrinking market for.
Tell that to GM. I can't buy some parts for my 2002 Sierra, NLA. I've noticed other makers too where I can't buy parts for a 10 year old vehicle, also NLA. Have to resort to chinesium,
__________________
1984 6.2 Diesel Get A Way van, remote turbo setup designed/installed by me, burning anything that burns.
2003 GSW, 2.0L ALH, Stage 2 Colt Cam, 1756 turbo, auto, silver, 380k-Wife's.
2004 GSW TDI, blue, 5 speed-DD-Malone stage 2, no kitty, aeroturbine muffler, PD150's.
2003 JSW 1.8T, silver-parting out. 2006 JSW, TDI 5 speed, blue.
turbovan+tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 11:04   #318
efeballi
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_D View Post
I saw this article today and thought it might be relevant for this thread. If not, please moderate as appropriate:

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/10/...-u-s-army.html
This idea was used in Junkers Jumo 204, a 1930s aircraft engine. Supercharged diesel.

In WW2 a concept with the idea similar to Jumo 204 appeared, with four crankshafts instead of two in the 204, arranged in a skewed rectangle, appeared. It was called Jumo 223, with only one prototype built.

The British improved upon this idea and made a three-crank opposed piston engine, the Deltic. Originally intended to power fast torpedo boats, the most popular task the Deltic did was to power the Class 55 locomotive. Yup, it's also supercharged.

I find both engines extremely cool, especially the way they start.
efeballi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 12:43   #319
Dannyboy
Veteran Member
 
Dannyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Winnipeg,MB
Fuel Economy: 2014- 1168km per tank
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by efeballi View Post
This idea was used in Junkers Jumo 204, a 1930s aircraft engine. Supercharged diesel.
In WW2 a concept with the idea similar to Jumo 204 appeared, with four crankshafts instead of two in the 204, arranged in a skewed rectangle, appeared. It was called Jumo 223, with only one prototype built.
The British improved upon this idea and made a three-crank opposed piston engine, the Deltic. Originally intended to power fast torpedo boats, the most popular task the Deltic did was to power the Class 55 locomotive. Yup, it's also supercharged.
I find both engines extremely cool, especially the way they start.
I used to work on dual opposed two stroke diesel rolls Royce engines. Multi-fuel engines that could run on almost anything that burned-gas, diesel, kero, jp8, hydraulic oil etc
No torque- just a 2 stroke screamer
Dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2018, 18:35   #320
goahead
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: USA
TDI(s): Golf
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy View Post
I used to work on dual opposed two stroke diesel rolls Royce engines. Multi-fuel engines that could run on almost anything that burned-gas, diesel, kero, jp8, hydraulic oil etc
No torque- just a 2 stroke screamer
Was it hard to maintain such engine?
goahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2018, 16:03   #321
tikal
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Southeast Texas
Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)
Default

By the way if the age of downsizing is over how come Honda is offering their CRV with a 1.5L turbo (gas) or VW with their 1.4 turbo (also gas) among other examples?
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2018, 17:56   #322
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor
 
bhtooefr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Newark, OH
TDI(s): None
Default

Note that the original article was talking about European extreme downsizing, where a 1.4-1.5 is now considered a huge engine.

That said, VW is upsizing now - in many cases, they're replacing the 1.8T with an early intake valve closing 2.0T.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2018, 18:24   #323
GoFaster
Moderator at Large
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikal View Post
By the way if the age of downsizing is over how come Honda is offering their CRV with a 1.5L turbo (gas) or VW with their 1.4 turbo (also gas) among other examples?
Well, in the case of Honda, they don't have a history of using turbo downsized engines, so their "age of downsizing" only began with that engine.

VW has been doing it for quite a while, and the 1.4 in a Golf/Jetta-sized car is likely as far as they will go.

The current Prius went from a 1.5 litre to 1.8 litre engine, and became even more efficient in the process.
__________________
Brian P.
formerly ... 2006 Jetta TDI 5-sp, Spice Red, Unitronics stage 1, 0.681 5th gear.
and before that ... 1996 Passat TDI, Silk Blue
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2018, 04:52   #324
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor
 
bhtooefr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Newark, OH
TDI(s): None
Default

Well, there is a 1.0 TSI as a base Golf engine in Europe (which replaced a 1.2 TSI), but that'll never come here.

The 1.4 TSI has been replaced by the 1.5 TSI Evo in Europe, already, as another example of upsizing.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2018, 07:16   #325
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member
 
20IndigoBlue02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North NJ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
Well, in the case of Honda, they don't have a history of using turbo downsized engines, so their "age of downsizing" only began with that engine.
VW has been doing it for quite a while, and the 1.4 in a Golf/Jetta-sized car is likely as far as they will go.
The current Prius went from a 1.5 litre to 1.8 litre engine, and became even more efficient in the process.
Actually the previous generation Prius went from 1.5L to 1.8L.
__________________
2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
20IndigoBlue02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2018, 11:14   #326
nokivasara
Veteran Member
 
nokivasara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sweden @ Lat 61N
Fuel Economy: 44-49 mpg
Default

VW downsizing is still happening, I read an article about the new Touareq TDI, the 5.0 V10 is replaced by a tiny 4.2 litre V8

421hp/900Nm V8 diesel. Sounds like a sensible option these days
nokivasara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2018, 12:30   #327
flee
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chatsworth, CA
Fuel Economy: 40-ish
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokivasara View Post
VW downsizing is still happening, I read an article about the new Touareq TDI, the 5.0 V10 is replaced by a tiny 4.2 litre V8
421hp/900Nm V8 diesel. Sounds like a sensible option these days
We of North America really shouldn't be told about such things.
__________________
2002 Jetta GLS TDI wagon, 2012 Audi A3 TDI S-Line
flee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2018, 20:29   #328
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member
 
20IndigoBlue02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North NJ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokivasara View Post
VW downsizing is still happening, I read an article about the new Touareq TDI, the 5.0 V10 is replaced by a tiny 4.2 litre V8
421hp/900Nm V8 diesel. Sounds like a sensible option these days
The 5.0L V10 got replaced by the 4.2 on the 2nd gen Touareg.

Currently, on the new generation, the allowable configuration is with the 3.0L V6 TDI, with 286PS with the SCR system

https://www.volkswagen.de/app/konfig...1705?page=trim
__________________
2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
20IndigoBlue02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2018, 04:48   #329
nokivasara
Veteran Member
 
nokivasara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sweden @ Lat 61N
Fuel Economy: 44-49 mpg
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20IndigoBlue02 View Post
The 5.0L V10 got replaced by the 4.2 on the 2nd gen Touareg.
Currently, on the new generation, the allowable configuration is with the 3.0L V6 TDI, with 286PS with the SCR system
https://www.volkswagen.de/app/konfig...1705?page=trim
Oh, sorry about that.
Anyway, here's some more info about it, turns out it's a 4.0 with 421hp, released later this year:
https://www.cars.co.za/motoring_news...evealed/44418/
https://ruvid.net/video/%D0%B2%D0%B8...PCuW5mpqM.html

Downsizing is the melody

Last edited by nokivasara; May 30th, 2018 at 04:50.
nokivasara is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Race520 7H nozzles.For sale Downsizing. ItAintRodKnock Private TDI Items for Sale/Wanted 3 June 9th, 2013 19:05
Downsizing sislianli TDI Power Enhancements 0 March 28th, 2011 04:10
Power Service is Downsizing its Bottles PDJetta Fuels & Lubricants 60 January 15th, 2010 18:34
Downsizing nozzles Gearhead51 TDI Power Enhancements 12 December 11th, 2009 14:39
Diesel Downsizing in Villa Park, IL. All of Us Mid-west USA 1 June 27th, 2007 06:01


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright - TDIClub Online LTD - 2017
Contact Us | Privacy Statement | Forum Rules | Disclaimer
TDIClub Online Ltd (TDIClub.com) is not affiliated with the VWoA or VWAG and is supported by contributions from viewers like you.
1996 - 2017, All Rights Reserved
Page generated in 0.16996 seconds with 13 queries
[Output: 132.10 Kb. compressed to 111.51 Kb. by saving 20.59 Kb. (15.59%)]