www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Ontario

Ontario Local discussions for those in the Ontario, Canada area.

Old January 11th, 2019, 10:21   #16
03tdiwagon
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 1mpg

I understand sorry
03tdiwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 11:16   #17
amit9
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03tdiwagon View Post
I dont use a laptop but ok so no static ip to trace ???
Im Not hiding , i just dont need more issues. Just got questions that need answers most people answer them, some give opinions not answers. Sorry for using caps. I dont need to be told i need meds because my friggen daily driver is down and i need help FAST. So i used caps to get attention
Just a suggestion, if you want to get attention for an issue and need help fast, when posting a thread, choose the ! triangle icon. That will mark it as important. See the "2013 Tdi Passat - P0299 loss of power - Turbocharger" thread in the forums as an example.
Old January 11th, 2019, 18:03   #18
03tdiwagon
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGuillicuddy View Post
You are coming across like a teenager in a room full of men. I don't say that to insult you but to give you an honest assessment to reflect on. 2.2 was doing you a favour by giving you good advice. If you act like the sky is falling on every post then people will start to tune you out.
I am also 20. Not an excuse but maybe itll give some enlightenment to my method of communicating
Old January 11th, 2019, 18:04   #19
03tdiwagon
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit9 View Post
Just a suggestion, if you want to get attention for an issue and need help fast, when posting a thread, choose the ! triangle icon. That will mark it as important. See the "2013 Tdi Passat - P0299 loss of power - Turbocharger" thread in the forums as an example.
Thanks i totally overlooked that
Old January 14th, 2019, 07:15   #20
imo000
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Good enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03tdiwagon View Post
I am also 20. Not an excuse but maybe itll give some enlightenment to my tone of communicating
FIXED it for ya!
imo000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2019, 08:52   #21
Silver02TDI
Veteran Member

Sheesh, men

Now is everybody calm again?
2002 Jetta TDI (Traded)
Silver02TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2019, 11:23   #22
03tdiwagon
Veteran Member

My "tone" has been adjusted
All is well
Old January 14th, 2019, 11:33   #23
03tdiwagon
Veteran Member

So i replaced the entire turbocharger/vacuum system. Every single option to change i changed it so im starting fresh as a new owner of the car..... Intercooler,n75,n18,solenoid for egr, egr valve, egr cooler, MAF, new lines, the turbo, new actuator, glow plugs, harness, vacuum pump/reservoir....
...I have 200km on the unit and all is well . Sounds like a mini semi as there is just the factory downpipe to the start of the flexpipe then its cut so, quiet loud compared to factory. ....

my only question is when im idle for several minutes the turbo spools faster as if its building 1 or 2 more psi and holds until i tap the throttle and it goes away, ive heard this is normal i just dont get why or what its doing.
Old January 15th, 2019, 05:19   #24
Growler
Got Soot Vendor

it is normal. it sounds like you have a factory tune and EGR system and everything that controls it is new. The EGR valve opens at idle for the first couple of minutes then it will close and with such an open exhaust I am quite sure that you will be able to hear it in the exhaust note.

are you planning on getting a Tune and EGR delete or just running it stock?

Schmutz 2015 GSW S DSG
Schnurren 2001 Golf 2 door.
Growler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2019, 19:01   #25
03tdiwagon
Veteran Member

yes completely stock system, i thought that when the egr closes it kills the engine, wasn't that the whole point of the shut off valve that's hooked up the the vacuum system. it chokes it out???

my friend does tunes, hes going to be giving me a 30hp increase and 70ft/lbs,

ive read about the egr delete but haven't looked into it enough to understand much about the whole whys/ reasons to do it
Old Yesterday, 06:45   #26
Wingnut
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.5L/100km

EGR delete is to prevent the intake from getting clogged. The combination of soot from the recirculated exhaust and the oil from the crank case vent, combine to cause this. Oil vapors coat the inside of the intake tract. When the EGR opens and sooty exhaust flows through it, some of the soot sticks to the oily residue. Then, more oil is deposited, and more soot and so on and so on. After several years, the accumulation can get bad:

To answer your other point, the EGR and anti shudder valve are two separate functions built into the same mechanism. The butterfly valve inside the EGR is there or choke off the air when the engine is shut down. It has nothing to do with the EGR. That is controlled by a plunger that opens via a vacuum operated diaphragm. The EGR opens and closes all the time when the engine is running. Under load, when the turbo is providing boost, you want that plunger closed so the pressurised air goes into the intake and not out back into the exhaust. When idling or low load, the plunger opens to allow the exhaust gasses to recirculate back into the intake. You can hear a difference in the sound of the engine when the EGR valve opens and closes at idle.

Here is a picture of a clean EGR valve showing the butterfly valve and the plunger.

By doing an EGR delete, you can also modify your EGR to reduce the restriction in the intake by removing the plunger all together:

Be advised, that altering the emission controls is not legal. Do so at your own risk.

Old Ride (2000 Black Sedan): Gone

New Ride: (2003 Silver Wagon): Malone Tuned, T4 injectors, 11mm pump, 2.5" Magnaflow cat back, PD150 intake, OMI, Wingnut SS, ERF 6 speed, Bilstein TC Sport susp. w/GTI springs, Neuspeed RSB, Santa Monica's, Autometer Cobalt Boost & EGT, MFA Sport cluster, GLI Leather seats, SS vacuum lines, AVIC Z3 Nav and I still get 4.5L/100km (I got 3.9L/100k on a tank once)
Some handy 'How to's'

Last edited by Wingnut; Yesterday at 06:57.
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 19:51   #27
03tdiwagon
Veteran Member

Hey wingnut thanks for the in depth explanation. I read some of your ccv mods . Are they worth doing ? Do you still use the 3rd updated version oil filter to catch the oil mist before it enters the crank case ? If so i want to proceed using the 20 micron filters (hydraulic filters)and set something up. They dont have the 150 micron filter you used at princess 20 is the highest now i could find.

Does eliminating the oil mist risk not lubricating anything that should lubed due to the design of the ccv... or should there techniclly not be any oil mist in the system and with time and engine wear/ high km they develop these issues?

Lastly does doing the filter mod to "catch" the oil mist create pressure to the head at all / ccv or actually eliminate pressure when it should be there ?
I would imagine just either eliminating the oil mist or eliminating the egr system (one or the other) would eliminate the soot buildup. As 1 compliments the ither with the issue . No oil..... nothing for dirty exhaust to stick to ???