Hole in oil pan

Jetta SS

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
I'd have to guess their shop gave a very high estimate. Maybe worst case scenario - long block? Since that pan, pump, and oil change couldn't have been near the value of the car.

I'm sure these laws vary state by state. What I ran into was the state of Louisiana will not issue a salvage title to a non-resident. I had a friend who is a resident who was willing to help, but if not an owner retain only a licensed dealer of some sort can get a salvage title issued.

My home state of Alabama said they cannot issue a Salvage title unless the accident occurred in Alabama. Hopefully it isn't like this around the country, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I'd have to guess their shop gave a very high estimate. Maybe worst case scenario - long block? Since that pan, pump, and oil change couldn't have been near the value of the car.

I'm sure these laws vary state by state. What I ran into was the state of Louisiana will not issue a salvage title to a non-resident. I had a friend who is a resident who was willing to help, but if not an owner retain only a licensed dealer of some sort can get a salvage title issued.

My home state of Alabama said they cannot issue a Salvage title unless the accident occurred in Alabama. Hopefully it isn't like this around the country, but it wouldn't surprise me.
I heard back from Iowa Insurance Division and you're right, they said that's not something that Iowa restricts but that it would be a state level law that would vary from state to state.

Kind of makes you worry about what happens when you travel then again in your case it seems funny that a punctured oil pan would have caused a total loss, then again insurance people can be odd folks and tough to deal with.

Steve A