I think I totalled my 2000 TDI NB

HowardZ

Top Post Dawg
I drove 25 miles to pick up GF at her work, and when leaving, the Oil Pressure light went on and audible alarm. The car was leaking oil.

GF said we are just 2 miles from a walmart, so I tried to drive to the walmart to buy oil, but engine died before getting there. *** Big mistake***

Paid $96 to be towed home. Approaching home, I could see the trail of oil in the street from two blocks away from home - all the way into my driveway and into my garage. The car had been leaking oil for the entire 25 mile trip.

Two days later, jacked car up. The Amsoil BE-90 bypass oil filter was loose with beads of oil clinging to it. I replaced the BE-90. Added a gallon of oil. Car won't start.

Charged battery. Checked for engine codes - only had an air bag error code. Cleared engine and airbag codes a few times.

Engine turns over nicely, but will not start.

I think there was engine damage, and the engine can't get the 20:1 compression ratio needed to ignite the diesel fuel.

Unless anyone has any ideas.....I'm not going to pay a mechanic thousands of dollars to rebuild the engine of a 19 year old car. I'll sell it for someone who wants the parts - or sell it to a junk yard.

A little sad.
Howard

Last edited:

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
If you are using synthetic oil, you might be okay with bearings, races and rings. The turbo could have seen the worst if it ran dry. Also, if the engine was leaking oil and leaving a trail, you probably weren't completely out of oil.

You mentioned that it turns over nicely but wont start. Did you check to see if fuel is getting to the injectors? Did you do a compression test as well?

I am not too sure but could the low oil warning system prevent the car from starting as a safeguard? My buddy had a GLI and the warning system kept coming on even if the oil level was good. I think it gave him some running issues but that was a while ago so I am not completely sure.

HowardZ

Top Post Dawg
I had been using 5w40 synthetic diesel oil.

Yesterday, Walmart didn't have any one gallon jugs of it, only 2.5 gallon for almost $50.

So, I purchased 15w40 diesel oil, and put it in this morning after replacing the BE90 bypass filter.

It was really a stupid thing to try to drive a few miles on Friday with the oil pressure light on.

I don't know how to do a compression check on a diesel engine. It's not like on a gasoline engine - remove the spark plug cables, and then remove one spark plug at a time.

I thought about the possibility of the Engine Computer shutting off the engine as a safety precaution. That's why I checked for error codes - but only found one concerning the air bag. I wonder if there is something else to check with the VAGCOM?

A_Shifter

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
Oh oh...Sorry to hear that.
Compression test on these is that easy: Except you use the glow plug bores.

I have one of these $30 Hazard Fraught jobs and it threads right up & works fine.
Be sure to blast the glow plug holes out with brake cleaner first, then try to get any grit out before you pull the glow plugs. Some people modify a funnel for a shop vac to suck out the grit.

Also be careful with those threads!