2013 JSW Rear hatch

dlhovland

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 golf Tdi manual transmission. Wife's car a 2014 toured v6 Tdi
It could be coincidence I took my wagon in for a oil change at the dealer. Now I can’t open the hatch! The dash light randomly toggles rear hatch open and close.
I have tried the inside release it doesn’t do any thing.almost as if something got caught in the latch release. Looking for ideas

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Theres a manual release in the hatch cover. Go thru the back seat and there will be little hatch cover in the middle and pop it open. Pull the small lever, it should pop open. Then do wd40 on the latch itself. It should help. If it still do that, get a new one, online vendor has it. Im not sure which company, i believe ecs tuning has it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlhovland

Veteran Member
TDI
Rear inside handle doesn’t do anything! It acts like the the latch is male and female are jammed. I think if am going to have to find a way to disassemble rear hatch with out opening it. With the air conditioner on running down the road rear hatch shop open. Open window at 70 mph hatch show closed.

Last edited:

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Geez. Is it your first owner car or CPO car?

dlhovland

Veteran Member
TDI

Don’t understand what you asking? I have owned it for 6 months. None of the releases will open hatch and it isn’t fully latched ether

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Not fully latched means its stuck. Could be dry or defective. CPO means certified pre owned from
Bw or you bought her from non-vw stealership?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
If yours is CPO then stealership will fix it under warranty no question asked. Its under 2 year bumper to bumper unlimited miles.

dlhovland

Veteran Member
TDI
I bought it used from a locale VW dealer in town. I May have to take it back to them and have them fix it. As I am at lose how to fix it

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
There you go. It should have warranty already.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Although bought at a VW dealership, dlhovland seemed uncertain of the CPO meaning. It quite possibly is a non CPO JSW. If it was multiple owner, over 75k or the VW dealer felt the additional cost didnt justify it, they sold as any other used car. Without the bumper to bumper it would be customer pay.

My 04 Passat had the latch break around 150k and had intermitant not very positive release quality. I replaced acuator but was always "kind of" an issue

Im not familiar with any of the sensors involved with the JSW hatch but it was mentioned (kind of unclearly) with windows open @ 70 shows closed. I wouuld wonder if a senser was out of adjustment/failing or even a weak acuator may be the issue. It may be possible to push or pull on the hatch to manipulate the senser to allow release.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
I had one going bad in my old 2011 JSW with almost 300k and replaced and works beautifully then got wrecked few weeks later. Buyback took her in.

So it was a simple fix. I felt bad that he is struggling with it.

Gotcha on the CPO, sorry I wasn’t clear on that. I wasn’t aware that some of the vw aren’t CPO. My bad. Thanks for correcting me.

dlhovland

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks to everybody for the feedback

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
You are always welcome. Please do keep us posted on the verdict. So we can help others better in the future.

dlhovland

Veteran Member
TDI
Damn thing started to work. I need to remove rear cover from hatchback to inspect it

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow thats strange. Yes please do check it asap.

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW DSG and '11 JSW DSG
VW like other German automakers like putting the closed/open switches within the latch itself instead of the simple and more reliable plunger style and my experience with my '06 Jetta sedan (same platform as JSW) I had to replace two of the door latches and the trunk latch before 80k miles due to failing micro switches. The first one went bad ~68k miles - year 4.

Prob good to replace the latch as preventative maintenance since you were able to get it open.

dlhovland

Veteran Member
TDI
I need to order parts. Would you recommend a vendoor