50k service for 2014 JSW TDI

bmc1980

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI DSG (bought 5.29.2019)...2002 VW Jetta wagon GLS 2.0L (gas) RIP 5.19.2019 due to accident
Any recommendations on whether to take my 2014 JSW TDI to a dealer or trusted TDI mechanic for it's 50k service? I already had the oil changed at 44k, shortly after I bought the car, so I won't be doing that part of the service. I just moved to Colorado, so I'm not sure about the VW dealers here. Anyone in Colorado (or Denver) that can chime in? And yes, I have looked at the trusted TDI mechanic list for Colorado. Also, how much should I expect to pay for this service?

ewdysar

TDI
2014 JSW TDi 6m
The 50k service is not extensive, here’s the schedule in case you don’t already have it...

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/2014_JSW.pdf

Rotate your tires and check your windows, wipers, washers, lights, and brake pads. The only other thing is changing the brake fluid. Do you have complete service records? Was the brake fluid done in 2017? Or more importantly, has it been 2 years since last done? If no records available, you should do it now. And thanks for the reminder, 2019 means that it’s time to change the fluid for the second time in my 2014.

Changing your oil off schedule is a minor inconvenience, I get that you don’t want to change it early around 6k, but you shouldn’t wait until 16k (your next scheduled maintenance). If not now, then maybe in another 2000 miles, then again with your 60k maintenance to get all your service back in sync. Or just do it now so that you don’t have to think about it again.

One of the things that I really like about my JSW is the 10k intervals for all maintenance. I don’t need a reminder, or a sticker, it’s easy to see coming when I refuel. I even got my 5k tire rotation in sync to keep my mental effort down.

Last edited:

ewdysar

TDI
2014 JSW TDi 6m
And I took my car to the dealer for each service through 70k. The odd numbered services, like the 50k and 70k, were pretty cheap, I think around $100, and most of that was the oil change.

At 80k, I started doing it myself. The dealer quoted the 80k above $600, parts and tools came to around $400 from idParts, including a VCDS and I get to keep the tools. Future service is going to be that much cheaper.

bmc1980

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI DSG (bought 5.29.2019)...2002 VW Jetta wagon GLS 2.0L (gas) RIP 5.19.2019 due to accident