Which choice to make?

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
So I have now gotten an updated date for the arrival of my 9/19 ordered 2012 Passat TDI SEL. Delivery has slipped now to 1/24/2012 an extra 2 weeks.

I have started looking at alternatives because I need a car NOW and cannot keep waiting. I wish Audi would have brought the A6 TDI to market this year because that would have solved the dilemma, now that I know it is coming, I want only an interim car for a year or two.

With that in mind, if I don't go with the Passat I was looking at the lowest price alternative TDI. That would be the Jetta (Mexico assembled), then the Golf then the Jetta Sportswagen.

Now the question is on the Jetta, do I get the Nav, fog lights and keyless entry? Or save the $1000 and get the Premium? I did not like the Nav on the Passat. I could not figure out how to silence the music while using the Nav and vice versa. Granted I was driving and really did not focus on it, but it was not a simple and obvious function.

Or do I pay another $2-3000 and get the Sportswagen? I can't see getting the Golf with cloth interior for the same price as the Sportswagen.

tdiot

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI 350000mi, Mercedes E320 CDI, 96 Dodge 2500 Cummins, 96 Serro Scotty Cummins RV, 93 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 TD.
Rent a car for the extra two weeks......the wait for the Passat is worth it. Just picked mine up and it is better than my high expectations.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I agree here. I'm very impressed with the SEL version. I know it's the first year, etc., so we're all taking a big chance with QC, etc., but I have to say that fit and finish is superb, and I have no complaints about interior textures feeling cheap. The carpet floor mats are a joke, but hey, it's December, we can trash them w/o too much guilt.

TDICT

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW...SOLD..2012 Passat TDI SEL Black on Black...Now Here
I agree with all above. Well worth the wait. Rent for two weeks. I had a TDI JSW and as great as it was there is no comparison to the Passat TDI SEL.
The 510 GPS is also great. Just need to know how to work it. I think you will regret not waiting it out.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
Ugghhh. You guys don't make it easy!

It is actually 7 weeks until then, so I would need to rent for quite a while.

Yeah, it is a different class for sure. I was hoping for the 0% financing, that went away. Now it is .9% and that expires 12/31. I just wonder what the rate will be when they finally deliver the vehicle. Knowing the way this whole thing has gone they will probably up the rates.

Daily Diesel

TDI
2012 Passat TDI MT-6spd
Talk to your dealer about locking in the finance rate. I insisted on it at the time of order and they worked with me.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Just find a ~$3000 cheap car to drive for a few weeks, then sell it. I'm so glad I own a half-dozen cars, LOL... :D

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
The Passat is worth the wait. I didn't want to wait for pay the premium for SEL so I went with a base SE. The amount of standard features on the TDI SE is great and I love the 6-speed manual trans.

Stimulacra

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
This might have been said before but it might be worth calling or visiting a few local dealers and seeing what they have in stock currently. When I got mine, they had a fair amount moving in and out of the dealership.

I was in the same boat as you, actually I custom ordered a 2012 Impreza wagon that got delayed 4 different times by the dealer (I'm still trying to get my deposit back from them) I started researching the Passat TDI, and had a color and option package in mind but was flexible enough to pick out a few backup colors because I wasn't really able to wait till the new year.

My first choice was the Night Blue Metallic but really any of the other colors except Glacier Blue would have worked for me. Ended up getting the Reflex Silver. I lucked out in that mine had just gotten off of the delivery truck and hadn't gotten any tags or registrations yet.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
This might have been said before but it might be worth calling or visiting a few local dealers and seeing what they have in stock currently. When I got mine, they had a fair amount moving in and out of the dealership.

I was in the same boat as you, actually I custom ordered a 2012 Impreza wagon that got delayed 4 different times by the dealer (I'm still trying to get my deposit back from them) I started researching the Passat TDI, and had a color and option package in mind but was flexible enough to pick out a few backup colors because I wasn't really able to wait till the new year.

My first choice was the Night Blue Metallic but really any of the other colors except Glacier Blue would have worked for me. Ended up getting the Reflex Silver. I lucked out in that mine had just gotten off of the delivery truck and hadn't gotten any tags or registrations yet.
I have bugged them continually. The Opera Red in the TDI SEL is just not being produced.

eatpasta

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
damm you guys! I was going to say inspirational things like "hold out for the passat!!" or "dont settle!!" and "You'll LOVE the passat!!"

but you guys beat me to it. and TRUST ME if you settle for the Jetta you will be very VERY sorry.....

:cool:

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
I agree. I had a Jetta which I loved immensely, but I was looking for more room. I lucked up on finding my Passat actually as it was the only TDI on the lot and have been extremely happy. Wouldn't go back...

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok decided to wait. Will keep using the Jeep and wasting fuel and putting miles on it until I get the Passat. Looking at the car and all the features again today at the dealer helped me wait.

While at VW, went over to the Audi showroom. The A6 TDI is the next car. 18 months and waiting. LOL!!!!! They said you could probably order in 14 months..... And I think the 4 month wait for the Passat is too much.

jumpinjoe

TDI
2012 passat tdi
Ok decided to wait. Will keep using the Jeep and wasting fuel and putting miles on it until I get the Passat. Looking at the car and all the features again today at the dealer helped me wait.

While at VW, went over to the Audi showroom. The A6 TDI is the next car. 18 months and waiting. LOL!!!!! They said you could probably order in 14 months..... And I think the 4 month wait for the Passat is too much.
Keep checking the availability of the tdi sel at neighboring dealers. Something may turn up before then. My original dealer kept putting back my delivery date. I searched online and found a handsome platinum gray/black at another dealer and picked it up the next day. Like you I was driving a rental. The first dealer even lied and showed me a commission number for a vehicle not allocated to them, with projected date of delivery. Well, the dealer I bought my car from said that car was sold weeks ago, and is being driven by someone else a few hundred miles away! I was waiting over 2 months. There was a red/beige car, my original order, allocated to the first dealer, but it was not even in production yet. Sorry to rant but watch out for your self, just saying.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmmm...A6 TDI...entry level price? I'll bet it's $40k +...
$3k additional to the current A6 line. Probably no entry level, only Premium Plus or Prestige so actually $54 or $58 starting prices.

Yep. Lots of money. Considering the Jeep Diesel was $45K and the Mercedes E-Class is $63 to start, Audi is at a good price point for what you get.

These are a totally different class than the VW's. They actually have TWO 12 volt power outlets in the back seat with 4 zone climate control, so the people in the back can control there temperature. Seat heaters in the back to. Aluminum construction. Quattro All wheel drive.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
Keep checking the availability of the tdi sel at neighboring dealers. Something may turn up before then. My original dealer kept putting back my delivery date. I searched online and found a handsome platinum gray/black at another dealer and picked it up the next day. Like you I was driving a rental. The first dealer even lied and showed me a commission number for a vehicle not allocated to them, with projected date of delivery. Well, the dealer I bought my car from said that car was sold weeks ago, and is being driven by someone else a few hundred miles away! I was waiting over 2 months. There was a red/beige car, my original order, allocated to the first dealer, but it was not even in production yet. Sorry to rant but watch out for your self, just saying.
The dealer showed me the production list for Opera Red cars in the TDI SEL Premium. Three pages of production schedule to be manufactured.

EVERYONE IS SOLD already. NONE are available. None is designated for dealer lot sales. All pre-orders, so the chances of finding one are NILL.

Oh and VW is trying. A big issue is the parts suppliers. They cannot keep up.

jumpinjoe

TDI
2012 passat tdi
The dealer showed me the production list for Opera Red cars in the TDI SEL Premium. Three pages of production schedule to be manufactured.

EVERYONE IS SOLD already. NONE are available. None is designated for dealer lot sales. All pre-orders, so the chances of finding one are NILL.

Oh and VW is trying. A big issue is the parts suppliers. They cannot keep up.
I know. I live in Nassau county and in a 50 mile radius of my home the only tdi sel models are black or candy white. Most of the black ones are probably the test drive cars. You will be very happy you waited for the passat. :)