Adblue access

vwtom

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE
Can adblue be added without special tools? I have an M-class that is simple to fill- just like adding to the windshield fluids. I have heard that a special adaptor is needed in some of the VW/Audi TDI's. I would want to be able to add myself. Will the Passat have easy access?

Trooper81

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle, 2011 Touareg TDI
IF the passat is anything like the touareg u can buy the small bottle from the dealer and cut off the base of the bottle, then u can use that as a funnel to fill with the larger cheaper bottles. All you do is screw this into the tank and push down and it starts to drain, once it's full it will stop and u unscrew and there is no mess. It's the most simple solution to filling your adblue tank.

Ozzmosis86

TDI
2012 Passat TDI
If you look under the cover for the DEF (AdBlue) fill there is a description of how to fill. You are correct, you need to use the VW bottles or the adapter. I think the suggestion of buying one bottle from VW and then cut the end off of it and use it as a funnel is the best idea.

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW, 2012 Passat TDI SE
I think the suggestion of buying one bottle from VW and then cut the end off of it and use it as a funnel is the best idea.
We are talking about filling this only every 15K miles. Not a big deal either way is it?

Ozzmosis86

TDI
2012 Passat TDI
Not a huge deal, but I am sure that there is a significant cost difference between buying it at a VW Dealership vs. a truck service station. Also it isn't a big deal for the first 36k miles as they refill it as a part of the covered maintenance package.

Capt. Common Rail

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI. DSG turned in ,2014 Passat Tdi se,2015 golf sel dsg
Add H2O

Sorry if this has been asked before. I was wondering if you could water down the urea , say a 50 50 mix. Would the emisions system have a sensor that would know. Also is their a urea gauge that reads the amount in the tank. Thanks for any replys.

06 jetta tdi sold
09 jetta tdi dsg 75k
10 jetta tdi dsg 28 k

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
There is a level sensor. Why water it down and break the emissions system? It's not expensive. Last I saw the cost was just a tad more than washer fluid.

-J

andy7079

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan, 2014 Touareg
Sorry if this has been asked before. I was wondering if you could water down the urea , say a 50 50 mix. Would the emisions system have a sensor that would know. Also is their a urea gauge that reads the amount in the tank. Thanks for any replys.
I don't think there is a sensor to detect the purity of the solution, but watering it down will affect the level sensor, as it uses the conductivity of the solution to determine the level in the tank (i.e. there's no float to determine the level). The urea solution is optimized at 32.5% urea. It will freeze at 12F, but the water and urea thaw at the same rate. Diluting the solution will affect the points at which the urea and water thaw/freeze.

EDIT: The system does have NOx sensors in the exhaust, so it can monitor the effectiveness of the solution. Diluted solution won't be as effective and the system will know it. Then it will only give you a certain range to fix it. Once the range runs out you won't be able to start the car.

Last edited:

gumaku1

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagen TDI - DSG
does the urea tank have heating element in it to keep the urea from freezing solid?

wolfsburg_de

Ross-Tech AssociateVendor , w/Business number
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
I checked out some of the Adv Meas Values in 01-Engine while idling, warmed up:

4999 hPa Pressure sensor for reducing agent; measured pressure 068
77.12 % Sensor for reducing agent fill level; fill level 098
12.8 degC Sensor for reducing agent tank temperature; temperature 101
14.89 % Reducing agent pump; activation 231
0 Reducing agent purge valve; activation 253
99.88 % Reducing agent fill level 524
100.02 % Reducing agent tank fill level indicator; raw value 605

My car has about 850 miles on it so the tank should be mostly full. I'll check those again later to see what has changed.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Nope. It is designed to freeze up in cold temperatures if the vehicle is not operating.
it's reported the tank has a heating element to thaw everything out once the cars up and runnning, as well as "heat tape" on the line for quick heating. So while it's parked it will freeze solid, shortly after you fire it up, everything will be thawed and able to spit pee into the exhaust stream keeping compliance with the EPA.

DFE systems have been used for years all over the world in all conditions.

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
Ad Blue is sprayed in the exhaust stream to lower NOX, thereby meeting the CA emission requirements.