2012 TDI SEL Premium Features.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
So I went to edmunds.com and did a comparison list of the features/specs between my 2005's and the new 2012.

One thing I noted was the auto up and auto down feature was not listed on the specs. This was the feature where using the key and holding it in the lock position put up or holding it in the unlock position lowered all the windows.

I thought VW had skimped on this. But they did NOT!

It is there you only need to touch the indented surface on the door handle with your index finger without grasping the handle. As well you can just hold the driver side window button up or down and it does the same.

On a bad note, you can no longer disable the ESP with the button. This is sad since on ice and snow getting started up a hill is IMPOSSIBLE with the ESP, it kills all the power while trying to get started and just never gets you going. In this case you need to be able to override the dang thing and just spin the wheels till you get some moment going. I see using the Jeep in my future winters more than the 2012 Passat.

TDICT

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW...SOLD..2012 Passat TDI SEL Black on Black...Now Here
Do the other 2012 VW models still have the ESP switch? I understand the the Feds have made ESP standard on 2012 vehicles and maybe it has to be on all the time. I have never had to turn off my ESP and I have driven in lots of snow. I did not think the ESP would engage at slow speed with no yawl.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
You can light up the tires until the speedo hit 10mph. So depending on the snow and road conditions the ESP/TCS might limit the snow handling. Even the cheapest snow tires will make it a moot point either way.

BTW hardwiring in an ESP switch shouldn't be that horrible (similar to a TPMS button).

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
Actual this issue is on ice. Exiting my driveway requires going up a slight incline. After the snow starts to melt and then refreeze into the iced over surface the Blizzak Revo's cannot get traction and the ESP keeps applying the breaks on the spinning tire and/or cutting power. I just can't get anywhere. Yet when I disable the ESP, I can get going.

So what is involved in the bypass switch? Even though I despise modification for personal preferences, I might need this in an emergency situation.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I imagine if you tack down the wiring of the ESP switch of older generations all you'd need to do is wire one up the same then code it with VCDS (that is assuming the ABS controler is the same as previous generations)

2500hd2

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 passat se
I would also like to enable an esp switch.
Hope someone can figure it out.
Thanks

WFL

TDI
2012 TDI Passat DSG Grey Comfortline
If you live in the frozen north like I do, it is a major problem. I have encountered many situations where being able to disable the traction control makes the difference between going and not going.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
As a follow up the 2012 CC and Jetta and Golf still have the disable switch. Looks like it was another cost savings on the new Passat. One less switch. Guess they figure their new target demographics won't even understand this feature.

wolfsburg_de

Ross-Tech AssociateVendor , w/Business number
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
As a follow up the 2012 CC and Jetta and Golf still have the disable switch. Looks like it was another cost savings on the new Passat. One less switch. Guess they figure their new target demographics won't even understand this feature.
The 2012 GLI also has no ESP defeat button. Got another explanation? :)

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently. MK4/5/6 Jetta's in the past.
No 2011 or 2012 Jetta Sedan's have a ESP Disable button either.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
The 2012 GLI also has no ESP defeat button. Got another explanation? :)
Yeah they got cheap all on the NON Germany manufactured vehicles?

Wonder who they sell the Mexico made Jetta to and now the Chattanooga Passat? :)

German drivers would probably revolt over losing control of their cars handling to some automated computer function.

TDICT

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW...SOLD..2012 Passat TDI SEL Black on Black...Now Here
Not sure but I think it may be the government making the choice. I think I read somewhere it was a requirement or soon to be a requirement that all cars produced after a certain date must have ESP and it may be a requirement that it can not be defeated. May be worth looking into before condemning VW. I know my 2009 JSW had the cut off switch.