Please post if you get a new Passat TDI 6 sp

wolfsburg_de

Ross-Tech AssociateVendor , w/Business number
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
Thanks Wolfburg....when I was reading one of your earlier posts... I thought that may have been the case. Below is a photo of what the car can do in 6th gear a little under 2,800 rpms.
Nice! Did you check the instantaneous mpg at that theoretical speed? ;)

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Impressive... That's definitely a taller 6th gear than my 2010 Jetta's DSG has. I wasn't a huge fan of the new Passat when it was first revealed, but after seeing it in person and hearing about what it can do fuel-economy wise compared to the Jetta, I'm very impressed. the car's profile is very....German. I like it a lot.

04Wagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2004.5 Jetta Wagon 5spd Tip, Black Leather on Spice Red.
I did some logging on my commute this morning (got exactly double the mpg of the gasser 2005 A6 3.2q I had been driving :)) and got 30.8 mpg. The A6 averaged about 15.4 mpg of premium gasoline. It looks like 6th at 70mph would be about 1925 rpm in the 6MT Passat TDI.

I didn't see anyone with a DSG chime in, can some let us know what 70 mph turns on the DSG?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
is that a pic of it on its way back to the dealer cause of a HPFP issue?

hehehe

I'd be real impressed if you guys can get the passat up to 130+ that it's surely limited to. The pic-up must fall off pretty good as that turbo isn't that big and it's only 140hp. Remember in the gain for more speed, HP is king.

BTW I had my Cr up to tripple digits this past weekend (sorry no pics). The gearing must very very close to the 2010 6MT, the tire size must take into account the difference.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
how long did it take to get there?

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
It was not a timed event. I was on my favorite 2 lane usually empty backroad cruising about 70 with one vehicle in view. All was clear and visible ahead of him, so I went for it by first passing the SUV. As I gained speed I noticed the SUV did also and then funny colored lights in the grill started flashing. At that point I was past 120, so I let off and slowed thinking 'oh crap'.
Turns out it must have been local tribal cop on his way to work because he just passed me and wagged his index finger at me as he drove by. Whew!
To answer your question; I would guess I took more than a few seconds and less than tens of seconds, it didn't seem that long.

chris@revotechnik

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
12 JSW, 98 TJ cummins, bunch of gassers
Hey just wanted to give anyone waiting for a car a heads up that Gunther VW in Buford GA just got a platinum gray on gray manual in this morning that they were not expecting to so it isn't a sold order and is available. Don't have any other details on it but there are not too many options on the manuals anyway right?

I'm friends with a few of the sales people over there and recently bought my JSW through Mike Martucci. I told him I wouldn't take any type of referral money so my motives in posting are purely to get one of you guys waiting in a car.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
too bad you dont get loaded highlines like in canada....you guys getting these early cars from a new plant and a new car all around are ballsy for sure. Hope they are good cars....has the DPF been eliminated in the 12 Passat or is it still there as a potential expensive maintenance item once car gets higher mileage?

TDICT

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW...SOLD..2012 Passat TDI SEL Black on Black...Now Here
Its a brave new world....Americans are assembling Passat TDIs! To answer your question, the DPF is part of the assembly line.
And so far , at least for the first 2,000 miles I put on mine, doing a great job. The DPF is located between the firewall and the engine toward the passenger side. Much easier to access if needed. The life expectancy is still unknown except for Internet speculation.

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
I found a 6 speed manual TDI Passat, test drove it and loved the car, bought it tonight. I also loved the manual gear box, very easy to drive, I was expecting some difficulties after reading about others experiences here, boy I really like it. Great driving car, I didn't notice excessive noise either, driving home at 70mph was a pleasure.....

Last edited:

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
After driving to work this morning I must say the manual transmission is the way to go, so much better than the DSG(to me), I haven't had any issues at all with stalling this thing, easy as pie to drive, silky smooth shifting, lovely. Oh yeah, and I wasn't driving for fuel mileage and it still bettered my typical mpg in the Golf tdi dsg(not hand calculated, though the Golf fuelly was dead on) by around 5%, and I can see where there is room for even more mpg in this car. It is also much more comfy than the Golf(wider seats for thick thighs), and a heck of a lot easier getting in and out.....nice car!

wolfsburg_de

TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
Congrats and welcome to the club. :) My previous car was a MINI Cooper S with a short shift kit so this Passat shifts buttery smooth.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Sure, plenty of torque to do that. My dad had a 1980 Dasher diesel that he could get up into 4th (top gear) without touching the accelerator. :D
What's the point of this? Really, I saw a dealer do this one time as some kind of sales pitch but never understand why people go gooogooo over this. It is simple engineering.

It works because the ECM provides MORE FUEL as the engine speed drops due to the clutch putting resistance on the engine and it keeps the rpm at 800 (or whatever it is these days).

It is not like you can do this with the same fuel injection volumes as truly sitting at idle and simply maintaining rpms, so again don't get the significance.

wolfsburg_de

TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
I hear ya, not sure why my dad did it other than he tried the same in my mom's gasser with inferior fuel injection and it stalled. No point really, just a CSB.

jaxkxx

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5 TDI
I found a 6 speed manual TDI Passat, test drove it and loved the car, bought it tonight. I also loved the manual gear box, very easy to drive, I was expecting some difficulties after reading about others experiences here, boy I really like it. Great driving car, I didn't notice excessive noise either, driving home at 70mph was a pleasure.....
What color did you buy?

CNGracing

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE MT6
Finally!!! My endangered species has arrived after 3 months and 2 days of waiting. Passat TDI SE 6MT - Night Blue on black interior!!! Love the look. I will post pictures after I have car tinted and wheels changed. Wife said she is taking it for the week.......:D:D:D

k.mojo

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE Manual
Finally!!! My endangered species has arrived after 3 months and 2 days of waiting. Passat TDI SE 6MT - Night Blue on black interior!!! Love the look. I will post pictures after I have car tinted and wheels changed. Wife said she is taking it for the week.......:D:D:D
Congrats!! Seems like this is the week of 6 speeds. Mine just hit the dealership yesterday!

chris@revotechnik

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
12 JSW, 98 TJ cummins, bunch of gassers
Platinum Gray....wasn't sure I would like it based on photos, but it is gorgeous in person, love it!

Did you get the one from Gunther? My friend sent me a message yesterday saying someone came in monday night and bought the one the had on the spot.

If you are local and interested in software let me know I can work out a great deal (free :) ) in exchange for some feedback we need on the Passats.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
a tune already on the passats! about time!