Gas liftpump vs PD liftpump

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi TTqTDI, B4V, B5.5V, '12 NMS SEL
I swapped a BEW into my Audi TT, and I currently still have the gas lift pump running diesel, feeding the fuel filter and tandem pump. This is for a number of reasons related to AWD tank setup (twin tank ports) and the whole level gauge setup. I do have a PD lift pump on the shelf, but am reluctant to go through the pain of swapping it in and trying to make it work (only get fuel from half the tank, gauge works backwards, etc)

The gas lift pump seems to run fine (at least for a few weeks thus far !). It outputs ~ 4.5 l/min at no load (same as PD), and dead heads at around 70 psi.
When the engine is running it seems to hold about 50psi at idle, and slightly less under load.

My questions :
1. Has anyone else done this ? and achieved decent pump life ? I don't think I am loading it any differently to a gas motor with a 3 or 4 bar fuel regulator ?
2. What is the standard diesel fuel filter pressure rated to ?? I am guessing 70 psi is lot, but it seems to be ok for now ?!

Thanks !

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I've had two conversions leaving the gasoline pump in as a lift pump. Both failed a few hundred to a few thousand miles into B99 use.

Now, these were well used (100k+ mile) pumps when I did the swaps and I was running thicker yet biodiesel through them but I suspect the fuel hastened their demise.
The second one had a bypass at the fuel filter to limit the pressure load, but that wasn't any more successful. The bypass was to keep the pressure down. The 1Z/AHU filters in the swaps I did normally operate at less than atmospheric (suction) pressures with no lift pump assist.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
been running the factory FI gasser lift pump in tacoma swap for just under 3k miles now....I'm not sure what the PD's require for pressure to the injectors but I have my VE setup regulated down with a holley bypass FPR to just under 20psi

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi TTqTDI, B4V, B5.5V, '12 NMS SEL
Yes, I have been considering that, putting it local to the tank. My only concern would be heating up the diesel by dropping pressure over a restriction continuously ? Maybe I will just try it and see.

The interesting part for me is this seems a quick and simple way to get a lot more fuel pressure for those of us with higher performance. I think I read somewhere DanG was looking at fuel pressures and was thinking that the tandem pump overcomes the PD liftpump at around 2500rpm ?
thx