Chicago 2009 TDI Owners: Non-Biodiesel Support Group

TDI
None
Has anyone else had questionable results with Mobil? I've been filling up at the Mobil on Thorndale and WoodDale Rd for the past couple of months...no stickers on the pump just ULSD. Had Franko6 take a look at my injectors a couple weeks ago and two nozzles (that were replaced 5 months ago) were clogged. I'm using a CAT 2u as well, getting some slight shuddering at idle.

Started filling up at the Speedway at North Ave and Swift Rd. right off I-355 and the guy inside said they're using B-11, so did my receipt. However the pump said a mix of 5-20% biomass...:confused:. Past couple days the shuddering has gone waaaay down and I'm tempted to use some diesel purge for my own sanity. The majority of BP stations around here also have a sticker with B-20 on it...

Does anyone know where a guy can get some non-bio D2 around the west burbs? (I'm in Bloomingdale).

lorloff

TDI
Ausgezeichnet TDi said:
Does anyone know where a guy can get some non-bio D2 around the west burbs? (I'm in Bloomingdale).
The Meijer on Gary Ave just north of Army Trail. That shouldn't be too far from you. They have D2 for sure. I think the BP just south of there on Gary also is D2, you can check the map linked in the first few posts.

TDI
None
lorloff said:
The Meijer on Gary Ave just north of Army Trail. That shouldn't be too far from you. They have D2 for sure. I think the BP just south of there on Gary also is D2, you can check the map linked in the first few posts.
I go to the Meijer to get my Mobil TDT, but I've always thought of buying your D2 at a grocery store like ordering a hot dog at a Chinese restaurant....tastes similar but its just not right... Down in So. IL, a lot of people buy their gas at Kroger, WalMart, Hucks, Caseys, and other smaller stores. Lots of cars were coming in to our school with clogged/burned out fuel injectors and clogged filters, which most of the customers said their fuel was from one of these suppliers. Little to no complaints from other major suppliers.

The BP at Gary is WAAAY overpriced and I'm pretty sure they're using Bio, but need to check for sure. The Speedway right across the way is on average 10 cents cheaper/gallon.

lorloff

TDI
I've filled up at both multiple times. Never had an issue with either. In fact if you search the thread, there are a few positive quotes for the Meijer with their D2.

N8116B

TDI
2009 Jetta
ppcjbj said:
I stopped at the 1204 N. Mattis station today. I could not locate any sort of Diesel pump at all.

The 1406 N. Prospect is just a few blocks east of the Mattis St. station. That one did have Diesel. The pumps were on the north side of the building. Still no sticker indicating a change to bio.

NorthernPlus

TDI
09 Jetta Sedan
That station presently listed on the map in Des Plaines at Dee and Golf has the blue <5-20% biodiesel sticker on the pump as of last week.

The Mobil that is at 2000 South Mannheim Rd in Des Plaines ( Mannheim Rd and Howard St) has non-bio from what I was able to learn. Stopped last week. Only the green ultra-low sticker on the tanks. Asked inside, was told no bio-diesel. Very clean station both pump islands have diesel two sided pumps as their middle pumps in each island so you can pull in any lane after lining up the fuel filling side of your car with the pump lane you want to use. Still have to pay inside for the diesel. A lot of livery vehicles from O'Hare use this station for fuel and car washes.

Norbert (NorthernPlus)
Stopped today at this station, and now they have the blue >5% stickers added to the pumps. So that one is gone too.

Norbert

NorthernPlus

TDI
09 Jetta Sedan
The Lake Forest Mobil at the Oasis at least south bound hasn't had any stickers at all on the pump for several weeks now as of last Saturday.

Norbert
We just posted concerning the South Mannheim Rd Mobil in Des Plaines now having the blue bio diesel stickers added to there pumps. With the proximity of this station to I-294, I am concerned that the Toll road oasis Mobils may be going to bio mix also. Anyone been to any of the oasis for diesel on I-294 within the last few days?

Norbert

BTL

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 PGM Jetta TDI Premium DSG
Most of the bio in IL is B11, which I try to mix with a half tank of D2. I truly feel that a quality B11 WILL provide some benefit in the long run. I wouldn't sweat some B11 here and there...I sure don't. I actually look for it! :) Car runs noticeable better on it, same MPG, no ill effects in 30k of driving.

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
Delta Sonic

Another source of non bio premium diesel are some of the Delta Sonic car wash locations. Here is what I got from the rep about which ones have it, and what the supplier spec sheet says about the fuel itself. They get it from Citgo, so those of you that make the trek to that place in Westmont (Johnny's?) may not have to drive so far. Note that not all carry premium.
----
Delta Sonic Chicago land sites with Premium Diesel are: Elmhurst,
Downers Grove, Glenwood, Tinley Park, and Joliet.
Regards,
Dale Wittlief
----

From their supplier:
CITGO Premium Diesel Fuel contains a specially formulated additive package designed to improve performance characteristics of standard number two diesel fuel, thus improving operability, vehicle performance, fuel economy and engine reliability.

CITGO Premium Diesel has been proven, over a 10 million mile fleet test, to provide a fuel economy improvement of 3.5% when compared to similar vehicles operating on the same fuel without CITGO’s Premium Diesel additive package.

CITGO Premium Diesel has been designed to provide the following additional benefits:

Superior Detergency Package
Exceeds the requirements for the industry “Superior” rating as measured by the
Cummins L-10 detergency test. CITGO Premium Diesel not only keeps injectors clean, our package contains a “clean-up” level of detergent that will result in increased power, improved fuel economy and reduced maintenance and operating costs.

Improved Power Performance
Improve power performance by 15% when compared to other Cummins L-10 engines operating on the same fuel without CITGO’s additive package.

Corrosion Inhibitor
Enhance corrosion inhibition which raises the NACE corrosion rating from a corrosive rating of E to a stabile rating of A.

Lubricity Enhancer
Increase the fuel lubricity from 2600 gms to 3700 gms, , as measured by the Scuffing BOCLE test, thus exceeding the Engine Manufacturer’s Association (EMA) recommended minimum of 3100gms

Fuel Stabilizer
Improve fuel stability by 25%

Exhaust Smoke
Reduce exhaust smoke by as much as 26%

Demulsification Protection
CITGO Premium Diesel contains a demulsifier which reduces the tendency of diesel fuel to retain water.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Another source of non bio premium diesel are some of the Delta Sonic car wash locations. Here is what I got from the rep about which ones have it, and what the supplier spec sheet says about the fuel itself. They get it from Citgo, so those of you that make the trek to that place in Westmont (Johnny's?) may not have to drive so far. Note that not all carry premium.
Good to know about the Delta Sonics. I live in Joliet and I only fill at the two BPs by my house or the Delta Sonic which advertises Premium Diesel on their pumps. I was always in question about the Delta Sonic as they sell more car washes than anything, but I've always had good results with their fuels.

scottschoen

TDI
2009 JSW; 2011 BMW X5-35d
I'll have to check out the Delta Sonic in Glenwood as I live in Flossmoor.

On a seperate note, a new Mobile opened on the corner of 183rd and Harwood in Homewood. I talked to the owner and he tells me his D2 is less than 11% bio, he wasn't sure on the exact percent but was going to look into it for me. I'll post back once I find out.

Jetta09Chicago

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Master List Updated

I have updated the master list (Post #2) with some additions and deletions contributed over the past several weeks.

Thanks for your ongoing support of this resource for Illinois 2009-2010 TDI owners!

Kirk

tlak77

TDI
"335d"
Thanks for list update Jetta09Chicago.
I had a chance to fill up few times on my trip to Quebec with Shell V-Power Diesel; I did not see difference in power but I can say for sure that my car was virtually silent at idle.
I wish we had some good diesel here....:D

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Don...which BP's do you use?
Sorry for the late replies, I don't check in here that often..

I use the BP stations at Jefferson and I-55 (Northwest corner) and the BP at Houbalt/Empress Rd and I-80. Both seem to have the same fuel and I don't notice much difference between the two fuels in MPGs. Both are not labeled bio in any way.

tlak77

TDI
"335d"
Carpentersville
BP
695 Barrington Ave., Carpentersville, IL 60110
847-426-1120
Submitted by: Jetta09Chicago on 12/8/09

I just stopped at BP am/pm at above location and the diesel pump has big black label with white letters stating Biodiesel, also there is standard blue label 5-20 bio content :( this particular station needs to be removed from the master list. I thought this station would be my alternative BP to BP am/pm at Wauconda location, which doesn't have any bio indication and receipt states D2.

Jetta09Chicago

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Thanks, tlak77! I have deleted the Carpentersville BP station from the master list.

Apparently it is no longer true that all corporate-owned BP stations are reliable sources of petrodiesel. As with most other chains, each individual station must be investigated.

It is sad to see our list dwindling.

StoBro2

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
There are no BP corporate owned stations anymore. They sold all of them off in the past few years. I used to buy my fuel at the BP at US 45 and Sand Lake/ Stearns School Road, but lately I've been filling up at the Gurnee Fuel Stop (Citgo) because they sell both petrodiesel and biodiesel. They must to move a good volume of D2, since it seems there is always at least one big rig filling up there when I refuel.

Jetta09Chicago

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
BP in Bloomingdale

As of today the following station has been removed from the list:

BP
136 S. Gary Ave., Bloomingdale, IL 60108
630-529-0262
Submitted by: Jetta09Chicago on 12/8/09

When I stopped by this morning, I noticed that the diesel pump now bears a sticker disclosing 5%-20% biodiesel.

Jetta09Chicago

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
New Forum Leader

I sold my TDI today and will no longer be actively participating on this forum.

If someone would like to take over the non-biodiesel station list, please let me know.

Good luck to everyone!

spamlet

TDI
2010 Salsa Red Jetta
Another non-bio location. Not sure if this should be considered suburbs or downstate (would have been easy decision 10 years ago...).

BP
125 Plank Road
Burlington IL

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
Jetta, sorry to hear that. We'll keep the thread alive. I checked the BP at Wood Dale and Devon 2 weeks ago, and it did not have a sticker on the pump. They are probably wondering why someone pulled it, got out and looked at the pump and left w/o filling.

Tom in chicago

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagon TDI
thread

The thread is alive, but how will we maintain the master list? I assume someone needs to volunteer to maintain it and copy the current list into a post under their user id?

If true any volunteers out there?

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
How do you go about setting up a "wiki" like the one used for sign ups for getting your car chipped at GTG's? that would be better since the whole crew could edit it, rather than the burden falling on one person.
I was looking at specs for the new PSD the other day and noticed it is spec'd for B20. What does Ford know that VW does not?

ppcjbj

TDI
2010 Sportwagen sold
Bad News for Down State
Freedom Fuel Stations
1406 N. Prospect Ave., Champaign, IL now has 5-20% bio stickers, since this is a small chain, I will assume all other Freedom stores in Illinios have the same fuel

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
Happy days at Meijer in Bloomingdale-they have a new diesel pump handle, at least the inside side, and it's very smooth so now you can trickle it out to fill your car up to the rim. Before it was either on or off, with no real in between. I'm not used to a clean handle!

okdane

TDI
Jetta, 1998, White & Jetta 2009, White
I was out to buy fuel this morning went to a BP in Country Side had bought there in the past, then notice the sticker 5% to 20% biodiesel. I put my cap back on and left.
Came to a Marathon 5% - 20% Bio same thing at Speedway.
I'm hoping the Shell in Libertyville at Park & Milwaukee still only have the 5% sticker on their pump. The last time I went there was the first time I notice on their pump.
Looks like this is the trend.
Hope VW will have a solution for this problem. None of bought these car to be sitting parked in our driveways.

okdane

Tom in chicago

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagon TDI
VW Engineer

interesting news on link:

"Here is the exact qoute I received from my VW engineer:

"VWoA will stand behind the warranty as long as the vehicle is fueled with commercially available ultra low-sulfur diesel fuel. I know that in the Chicago market this diesel fuel may contain up to 20% biodiesel. Volkswagen is currently testing B20 and the results are pending."

What is A VW engineer? Glad to hear they are testing. Would be nice if they communicated the results to us... :)

Tom in Chicago... my nearest pure diesel station is about 6 miles away (BP at Skokie Blvd and Lake in Wilmette). Not only inconvenient, but pricey. :eek: