2012 passat seats?

ecarnell

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI GLS, 2004, Mettalic Blue
Went to check out the new passat - didn't drive one (no 6spd in stock) beautiful car and size is very nice compared to the Jetta (and better fuel economy)!
The only issue I had were the full leather seats with the suede inserts - has vw ever used this combo before?
While I'm sure they are cooler in the summer - but how will they hold up/clean with little ones in the back?
While the leatherette in the comfortline would be fine - I would have to step up to the highline for the ski pass through.
Also - can anyone confirm that the highline doesn't have any memory option on the ds power seat?
Thanks
Eric

JettersTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
They both get the same fuel economy, except the Passat has a bigger fuel tank capacity; hence, a longer fuel range.:D

wolfsburg_de

Ross-Tech AssociateVendor , w/Business number
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
They both get the same fuel economy, except the Passat has a bigger fuel tank capacity; hence, a longer fuel range.:D
Per EPA, 6MT 2012 Passat TDI gets 31/43 while 6MT Jetta TDI gets 30/42. Only 1 mpg difference but it's still better in the Passat. Interestingly, with the DSG, the Passat gets 30/40 which is worse than the 30/42 of the Jetta.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov

verylongdrive

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf,2001
It may just be a bit of measurement error - considering how way off these numbers are compared to real-world driving, who's to say how much the error in their methodololgy is affected by actual manual vs. DSG differences. Not to mention that going from 42 to 43 mpg is about the same difference in consumption
20 to 20.22 - so the differences might just be noise and round-off error.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
btw my back is drentched after getting in the car after it bakes in the sun all day. the "vtex" does not breath what so ever.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Went to check out the new passat - didn't drive one (no 6spd in stock) beautiful car and size is very nice compared to the Jetta (and better fuel economy)!
The only issue I had were the full leather seats with the suede inserts - has vw ever used this combo before?
While I'm sure they are cooler in the summer - but how will they hold up/clean with little ones in the back?
While the leatherette in the comfortline would be fine - I would have to step up to the highline for the ski pass through.
Also - can anyone confirm that the highline doesn't have any memory option on the ds power seat?
Thanks
Eric
I have not heard of the inset combo before. I can't complain about mine, but haven't lived in them too long. So far they are fine.

My seats have the memory option - I believe it is part of the SEL Premium package.

madhun

TDI
2006 2.0 Tdi DSG Golf Comfortline, 2012 2.0 Tdi Golf Comfortline
Can anyone tell me whether the Sports Pack Option Seats use the same frame as the 12 way adjustable seats and whether the cushioning is interchangeable?

TDICT

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW...SOLD..2012 Passat TDI SEL Black on Black...Now Here
I don't know if VW has used the leather/suede seating combo in the past but the new 2012 Mercedes C 63 AMG (58k list) that I saw uses the same seating materials. Leather with a suede insert. Have not have much hot weather to test them but the suede insert help keep you from sliding around in the seat. Should be not problem keeping them clean.
Don't be tricked by the EPA fuel ratings. my numbers are much better in my every day driving experience.

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
Although the Passat's solenoid injectors may not be as fuel-efficient as the piezo injectors used in the Jetta/Golf/JSW.
My piezo injector 2010 Jetta TDI gets about 2-3mpg less on the same driving cycles as my solenoid injector Passat.

The Passat carries more weight but is quicker off idle, regularly have to back off the throttle from a stop light to keep from burning the tires. No way to burn the tires on the Jetta from a stop light without using the hand brake.

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
My piezo injector 2010 Jetta TDI gets about 2-3mpg less on the same driving cycles as my solenoid injector Passat.
The better mileage for the Passat might be attributed mainly to the use of urea.

I was just talking about the injectors. The questions are: What would the 2012 Passat's mileage be with piezo injectors? and "What would the 2012 Jetta's mileage be with solenoid injectors?

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
The better mileage for the Passat might be attributed mainly to the use of urea.

I was just talking about the injectors. The questions are: What would the 2012 Passat's mileage be with piezo injectors? and "What would the 2012 Jetta's mileage be with solenoid injectors?
Good question, not known at this point how much efficiency is gained from piezo vs the new generation solenoids used in the Passat.

Delphi says there is no difference;

http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0199-6062251/Injector-wars-Piezo-vs-solenoid.html

WFL

TDI
2012 TDI Passat DSG Grey Comfortline
My DSG Passat gets an easy 3 to 4MPG improvement over my 2009 mt TDI Wagon and this is before it is broken in. Its quieter and has more power. In every way it is better.

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW, 2012 Passat TDI SE
I would not want a leather seat with a sued insert. What's the point of that? The durability factor goes out the window. You are better off with pleather in the SE model.