Jittery Needle on Temp Gauge

Daily Diesel

TDI
2012 Passat TDI MT-6spd
Have any of you noticed your temp gauge needle jittery (up and down a few mm) on its way up to normal temp? I noticed this the other morning and confirmed it again today. Once it gets up to normal it dosen't budge. Not sure if I am describing this well, but if it happens to yours.... you will know what I am talking about. Is this normal or common? I want to make sure that my temp gauge is working 100%.

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
Haven't noticed anything like that on mine, I'll watch it a little closer over the next few days.

Daily Diesel

TDI
2012 Passat TDI MT-6spd
Got a CEL (1,400 miles) and it seems to be related. My code reader stated "P0116, Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit Range Performance". Dropped it off at the dealer for CEL (but I didn't tell them about my code read), and showed them a short video of the temp gauge bouncing. I also made mention of the fuel gauge not making it to full. They gave me a free loaner (JSW TDI) with no questions. I'll let you know what the workorder says when I get it back.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
ohhh more VW electronic goodies!!!!

<Thread drift> Someone want to snag pics of the wiring harness for the drivers door jamb, see if we'll have to repair these passats like the mk4 and mk5s. I want to say they did attempt to correct that on the mk6 Jetta sedans

Daily Diesel

TDI
2012 Passat TDI MT-6spd
I will provide a full report on all issues when I get it. Service manager told me today that the VW "field engineer" will be paying my car a visit on Thursday. I was told to hang on to my loaner till then. Seems like these guys want to make sure they really get this right. Positive experience so far. Stay tuned.

Daily Diesel

TDI
2012 Passat TDI MT-6spd
Just got the call to pick it up. So.... they said the replaced a coolant temp sensor and a faulty fuel sender unit..... Stay tuned for a formal update that is based on the service report.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
fuel sender unit? isn't that built into the new fangled "Medium Pressure Fuel Pump"* or "Super Lift Pump"

*MPFP failures?

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
fuel sender unit? isn't that built into the new fangled "Medium Pressure Fuel Pump"* or "Super Lift Pump"

*MPFP failures?
Don't think it's MPFP failures, I would bet it has more to do with the fact that the fuel gauge has problems reading full.

Daily Diesel

TDI
2012 Passat TDI MT-6spd
Here is the latest.

Temp Gauge (fixed) : They first conducted a "wiggle" test on the wiring harness and confirmed wiring and connections were ok. Then they replaced the temperature sensor, seal, and coolant. Everything is working fine.

Fuel Gauge (NOT fixed): Upon diagnosis with VW QTM, found that the fuel gauge sending unit was not reading correctly. VTA DP-702540 (i don't know what this means, but maybe you do). They replaced fuel gauge sending unit.They filled the tank with diesel and said the problem was resolved. At the time of pick-up, I fired up the car...and what do you know....it wasn't on full. Immediatley went back in and got the service manager. Showed him the vehicle, and the apologies began. They offered to keep the vehicle, but I told them I'd bring it back after Thanksgiving (I missed driving it.... the JSW DSG is peppy and fun, but its not for me). They said, that their next step is going to be to swap out the instrument cluster and have the VW "field engineer" assess the outcome. They asked that I come back with all my keys. I will give you fellas an update in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, I will drive the hell out it.