Traded in 2004 RX8 for a 2004 Jetta GLS TDI

BriGuySTL

TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan
Just traded in the inefficient torqueless wonder for a Silver 2004 Jetta GLS TDI. Don’t get me wrong I loved my RX8, but with gas at $2.99 and me about to get married and looking for a house, I needed to find something more economical. I’ve only had it for 13 hours so far, but I’m liking it, and will like it better when I have to fill up the tank, whenever that maybe. I’ve been poking around on the sight and will continue to do so, and learn as much as I can.

I have on quick question though. What is supposed to be in the compartment on the left side of the trunk? There an unplugged wire there and what looks like a slot for box of some kind. Didn’t think of looking there when I was test driving, and want to know if I’m getting screwed out of something.

Anyway glad to be here and can’t wait to start learning.

Last edited:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
a CD player or the highly desirable PhatBox!

yeah, I hear the RX8 can suck with the best of them...one of my co-workers has an '04.

Welcome aboard!

BriGuySTL

TDI
It's funny this thing as 138 less HP, but 18 more ft-lbs of torque, and the max torque in the RX8 didn't kicking till passed redline in the Jetta :D . I'm happy with my decision of trading the cars, but just hope I got a good deal :( . By the way, what is a PhatBox?

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
by the way welcome :) all you will need to tweak the power a bit is get in contact with kerma and he can hook you up with some power mods :)

BriGuySTL

TDI
Thanks for the info and pics. I have actually stumbled across the kerma home page and I’m very interested in doing some mods, but want to verify that my engine was taken care of and can handle increased power.

The PhatBox looks cool. I was thinking about putting an in-dash dvd/nav unit in the car later, but I think I’m going to look into this PhatBox a little closer and see if it is something I would want.

BriGuySTL

TDI
dieseldorf said:
yeah, I hear the RX8 can suck with the best of them...one of my co-workers has an '04.
I got between 17 and 20 mpg. Stopped tracking in the winter but I bet it was between 15 and 18 mpg :( . Longest I got for a tank was 285miles.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I traded in a Subaru WRX for my 02 Golf TDI!!! Haven't looked back at all. My 02 Golf is my 2nd VW and my first diesel.

I drive about 1k miles/week in my TDI and I was doing about the same miles in the WRX back in the 2001-2002 timeframe. It was expen$$ive back then at 22MPG in the WRX. It would be horrifically expensive today!!

The WRX was a blast to drive but a TDI is way better suited for the large amount of driving I do. My 02 Golf TDI literally paid for itself in fuel cost savings alone compared to the WRX. Now I won't ever own another gasser again (hybrids included) if I can help it. :cool:

BriGuySTL

TDI
This is my 2nd VW Jetta, I traded my 1998 Jetta 5-speed for my RX8. Lol and now the 8 for a Jetta, it's the circle of life.

jthesby

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Silver TDI Golf
BriGuySTL said:
I got between 17 and 20 mpg. Stopped tracking in the winter but I bet it was between 15 and 18 mpg :( . Longest I got for a tank was 285miles.
I'm worried and wondering what's wrong with my car if I only get 285miles at half a tank:). Welcome aboard. Wow under three bucks for gas... here in northern california your lucky to find the reg stuff under 3.35:(... all those poor gassers;)

BriGuySTL

TDI
I can't wait till I have to fill her up! :) I think I have 75 miles on this tank now, AND THE NEEDLE HARDLY MOVED.:D I'm not even halfway between 1/1 and the 7/8 marker.

2005TDI_1994IDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2005, Indigo blue
Willkommen

You might want to get a metal skid plate for your car to protect the oil pan. I installed the panzer plate from diesel geek. There are other plates on the market available. The plate was easy to install, if you follow the instructions.
I also installed a Mann provent filter to reduce intake blocking problems. I don't know if this helps, because I have not checked for buildup.

Just remember the fuel cap is on the passenger side, you will forget this often, I do.:)

BriGuySTL

TDI
Thanks

Bob_Fout said:
The vent button is your friend
I fill up on my way home a lot, I heard that it is not good to top it off unless your going to be doing a lot of driving (especially in the summer), am I wrong with this or is it not that big of a deal?:confused:
2005TDI_1994IDI said:
You might want to get a metal skid plate for your car to protect the oil pan. I installed the panzer plate from diesel geek. There are other plates on the market available. The plate was easy to install, if you follow the instructions.
I also installed a Mann provent filter to reduce intake blocking problems. I don't know if this helps, because I have not checked for buildup.
I was looking into those, and plan on getting one. I just need to recover financially a bit. I have big plans for this car, but a small pocket book, so I mainly dream of all the things I want to do. :) I think the skid plate would be a good investment though.
Is that an air filter or something else? I plan on taking my car to the Oilhammer shop off of Page for my first oil change and going to ask him if the car was taken care of and if the intake needs to be cleaned.

2005TDI_1994IDI said:
Just remember the fuel cap is on the passenger side, you will forget this often, I do.
Thanks, I don't know how many times I'm going to do this before I get used to it.:eek:

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
BriGuySTL said:
I fill up on my way home a lot, I heard that it is not good to top it off unless your going to be doing a lot of driving (especially in the summer), am I wrong with this or is it not that big of a deal?:confused:
Diesel doesn't expand as much as gas. If you fill and vent until you see the fuel at the bottom of the filler neck, you'll be fine. When you drive the fuel will settle and the level will drop even more.

marco246

TDI
Jetta, 2004, wheat beige
BriGuySTL:

You'll also want to get up to speed on the motor oil saga, especially if the car is still under warranty.

BriGuySTL

TDI
marco246 said:
BriGuySTL:

You'll also want to get up to speed on the motor oil saga, especially if the car is still under warranty.
The car has 60k miles on it and the sticker on the windshield is from the dealership I bought it from and states that the next oil change is at 65k, so they must of changed the oil when they got it. The salesman said that they took care of all the 60k scheduled maintenance when they got it, but he’s a used car salesman so I trust him as far as I can throw him. I’m going to take the car to the Oilhammer shop here in St. Louis and see if he can find anything wrong with the car. I also bought a 4year/48k warranty, so if there is anything wrong I can get it fixed (hopefully)

2005TDI_1994IDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2005, Indigo blue
Mann-provent

Is that an air filter or something else? I plan on taking my car to the Oilhammer shop off of Page for my first oil change and going to ask him if the car was taken care of and if the intake needs to be cleaned.
The Mann is basically a filter that seperates the oil from the crank case vent located on top of your valve cover. The VW does not have a filter for some reason. Since there is no filter, oil gets sent to the intake system. Some people have determined that this extra oil along with the vented gases and exhaust from the EGR can cause clogging of the intake system, which can reduce performance.
The Mann is over kill, ie, it is huge. The Mann is designed for larger diesels, but has 2 popoff valves to protect the motor in case of clogging.
You can search this site for pictures of a typicall install. I would send you my pic's, but don't know how to send them. I can e-mail you the pic's if you want.
I would get the plate first.:)

BriGuySTL

TDI
Thanks for all the good info 2005TDI_1994IDI, I'll defanintly look into the Mann filter.:D

rotarykid said:
mine was yellow

I really miss my Rx4 :(

Piston goes bong , bong , bong

Mazda goes mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:D
The ultimate goal is to save enough money with this car to buy another RX car as a 2nd car and keep this for winter and long trips, after I get married and get a house, but I'm not kidding myself chances are I might not be able to do that for awhile, if at all:(

I miss being able to take turns at twice the speed that other cars can, the 9000 RPM redline, and the smoothness of the motor. But the RX8 was a little too gutless for me, my next set of triangles in peanut shells is going to have an angry snail attached ;)

jthesby

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Silver TDI Golf
BriGuySTL said:
I can't wait till I have to fill her up! :) I think I have 75 miles on this tank now, AND THE NEEDLE HARDLY MOVED.:D I'm not even halfway between 1/1 and the 7/8 marker.
Look up ventectomy:D, i can usually get 150miles before the needle moves off the full marker

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
BriGuySTL said:
The car has 60k miles on it and the sticker on the windshield is from the dealership I bought it from and states that the next oil change is at 65k, so they must of changed the oil when they got it. The salesman said that they took care of all the 60k scheduled maintenance when they got it, but he’s a used car salesman so I trust him as far as I can throw him. I’m going to take the car to the Oilhammer shop here in St. Louis and see if he can find anything wrong with the car. I also bought a 4year/48k warranty, so if there is anything wrong I can get it fixed (hopefully)
Just change the oil NOW if you can't be 100% certain that they used 505.01 spec oil. Also, make your plans now to go to Old Navy's GTG in the fall - He's in SE Missouri http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=177181

BriGuySTL

TDI
DrewD said:
There is a cure for low torque rotary engines. It can be found on www.torquecentral.com I intend to ditch my 1.3L next year.
I'll give it a look, but I'm done with rotory's for now.

jthesby said:
Look up ventectomy:D, i can usually get 150miles before the needle moves off the full marker
I found a link to a DIY, but I still have a question about how it effects your fill ups. Can you still just stick the nozzle in and let it go? And will it automatically stop itself, or do you have to watch it so it doesn’t over fill?

owr084 said:
Just change the oil NOW if you can't be 100% certain that they used 505.01 spec oil. Also, make your plans now to go to Old Navy's GTG in the fall - He's in SE Missouri http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=177181
I've seen that thread and do plan on going, and I think I will take your advice and get the oil changed now. Better safe that sorry

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
I found a link to a DIY, but I still have a question about how it effects your fill ups. Can you still just stick the nozzle in and let it go? And will it automatically stop itself, or do you have to watch it so it doesn’t over fill?

Sure you can but if bleed the air out when you're filling up you can put in an extra 2--3 + gallons . @ 40 to 50 mpgs that is an extra 100--150 miles before you have to fill up again .

And please leave off the roman script , it makes the post harder to read ;)

BriGuySTL

TDI
rotarykid said:
Sure you can but if bleed the air out when you're filling up you can put in an extra 2--3 + gallons . @ 40 to 50 mpgs that is an extra 100--150 miles before you have to fill up again .

And please leave off the roman script , it makes the post harder to read ;)
Sorry about that I'm a crappy speller and copy everything into Word so I can spell check it lol :D

So filling up wouldn't really change. Stick the nozzle in and let it go, when it clicks keep manually adding more until it is toped off. Is that about right? You can't do that without doing the ventectomy?

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
There is an alternative to the ventectomy. After the the pump shuts off the first time, use the side of the spring coiled around the nozzle to push the "nub" sticking out from the side. You will hear a whoosh of air, then continue filling. Or, you can use the tip of the nozzl;e to push the nub. It takes longer than if you had a ventectomy, but it works.