Newbie's Get Valuable Information Here!

jrholt

Newbie\'s Get Valuable Information Here!

I am very grateful for all the info on TDI Club. I have been able to get squeeks & rattles fixed. Decide on proper modifications for my TDI, and even decide on a chip (Wett) thanks to Dave & Griffin. . .even got a group buy going in the classified.

I'm seriously interested in the skid plate but after looking under the vehicle, wondered why a person couldn't have a smaller, say 18" x 36" stainless plate fabricated and bolted up to protect the pan and tranny. It may be cheaper and do a better job? Comments? Thanks, JRH

Bob_VT

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
Re: Newbie\'s Get Valuable Information Here!

Hello, I am a newbie here too (first post). I recently purchased a 2000 Jetta TDI and have been going through a "learning curve" myself. Today I did a full oil change and I am missing the belly pan.

I made a paper template and transfered that into a carboard template. This week I am going to visit a local metal shop who specializes in stainless steel. Once I get the details worked out I will pass them along. My initial design is much larger than 18 x 36. I intend to protect from under the bumper to the cross member. I even have plans for an oil plug access hole.

I strongly agree that stainless is the way to go.

Now if I can only get a replacement wheel lock key from the VW dealer I will be happy. I have a flat (tonight in my driveway) and no way to remove the wheel.

Bob

[ October 12, 2002, 18:29: Message edited by: Bob_VT ]

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE

As you can see from the photo above, you need to consider how the plate is supported. The plastic side panels would not be adequate support, nor supporting along the front like the original plastic pan. The rear needs to be supported too.

Pictured above you see the bolts in the rear (with the rivnuts) and the front side posts. These are the supports for the VW plate. The side skirts have holes in them (cut into the originals, or replaced with holes already cut) for the plate supporting cross bar and notched around the posts. The skirts do not hold up the plate, they're only splash protection from the wheels/tires.

I advise consideration of these things before having a simple plate made to screw in place of the existing plastic panel.

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .

Also one reason this factory piece is so strong is the 5 stiffing rib in the pan. This puppy will support the weight of the car and bust concrete blocks. I speak from experience.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon

I too just bought a 2000 Jetta TDI. It does not have a skid plate either. My question is, is one necessary? Its an item ususaly only seen on 4 X 4's to protect the under belly from big rocks and logs. I don't plan on any off-roading with my Jetta though!!!

The car I bought had been in an accident so thats why its missing. I guess the bodyshop didn't feel it was necessary to replace(or was greedy, charged for it, and pocketed the money). Either way should I replace it?

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2

It is not necessary until it's too late.The oil pan is very low on these cars and made of cast aluminum.The right hit on the pan will break it very easily

Clueless One

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI

This seems to be the shedding season for trucks. It just takes one little item like a truck tire tread to ruin your oil pan. I got a look at the bottom of my skd plate last week. The paint was scraped off in a couple of places. Either of which could have zapped the oil pan.

Protect you investment.

wonderwagen

Check out bildon.com , they have something called "Rally Oil Pan Guard" for $45.00, if it suitable for rally, it might be useful on I-95. (It is listed under A1/A2/A3/A4; "A4 Golf/Jetta parts")

Jorgen.

[ October 14, 2002, 05:47: Message edited by: wonderwagen ]