Loose Vacuum/Brake Booster Hose

Hunter489

TDI
2000 ALH
My hose that runs from the brake booster to the Vacuum pump on my 2000 1.9 alh is loose and wiggly. I was told that is no good. It is loose at the Vacuum side. Here are some pictures. Where could I find the parts to fix this? Also. In the second picture is this black zip tie factory??

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
And, no, the zip-tie is not factory.
On some cars (Golfs?), that tube came covered with the rubber hose over the barbed fitting joints because the hard plastic vacuum tube tends to crack in those areas. It would not hurt to check under the cover hose for cracks. It is very common.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
From the factory, the hard plastic would have gone all the way onto the elbow that is pressed into the grommet in the Vacuum Booster.

I was a cheapskate and made a replacement hose for mine, with a length of air brake hose from a local auto parts store, but they're not that expensive to buy the whole assembly, as long as you don't mind waiting for shipping.

I would strongly recommend taking care of it, one way or another!
This caused a couple of nearly panic inducing moments when I lost brake assistance on an offramp, prior to fixing it.