Q7 TDi Glowplug CEL flashing

ZaJettaTDi

TDI
'06 Jetta 1.9TDi Manual (gone 21/12/12) '08 Touran 2.0 TDi (now wife's car) '07 Q7 3.0TDi
Hi all,

Just thought I'd share my experience regarding this.

My 2007 3.0TDi Q7 with 205k km on, Glowplug indicator started flashing last week. No other indications/hickups whatsoever.

So Googled this, and found references to very expensive glowplug replacements, and a ref to Brake pedal switch failure.

So did inspection of brake lights. With lights off, brake lights function was normal, but with lights on, brake lights were always on. Not nice to blind everybody behind me at night. It's still winter here, so get home after dark.

So contacted my local Guru in JHB, and he concurred that it's a good chance of the switch being faulty, which he ordered. Next day, as visit to Guru was only scheduled for the weekend, the key got stuck in ignition!. No amount of fiddling with the lever in and out of P would make the key budge. So locked the car MANUALLY with spare key - the remote will not work, as car is "aware" that key is in the car.

So this weekend, Guru replaced the switch within 10 minutes, and brake lights back to normal, and key popped out! $20 later vs $??? at dealers.

CEL light was reset with PC, but it took one cycle before the flashing light disappeared for good.