Oil filter different, older VW diesels vs. TDI?

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2002, green, Eurotek STG1
I used to have a 1985 VW Jetta diesel, and IIRC it was a spin-on. My 98 Jetta A3 TDI is also a spin-on, but I believe they went to a cartridge type in 99...I have no more information /images/graemlins/smile.gif

MacGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta, black
Just for curiousity I checked on the Impex site, the filter for a 87 1.6L diesel is #068115561B $9.64, and the filter for a 97 TDI is 068115561E $8.64 or $12.00 depending which brand you choose...I'm not sure the difference, most aftermarket filter makers list the same filter for either eg Baldwin B114 listed for both the above examples...

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
The two filter numbers just have different spring loads for the oil bypass.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
The non-TDI oil filter, the B, has a spring tension of about 15-lbs for the bypass valve.

The TDI oil filter, the E, has a spring tension of about 35-lbs for the bypass filter.

This higher spring tension is only an issue if you use a high viscosity non-synthetic oil in winter, say a 15W-40 or a 20W-50. The bypass valve insures that there will be oil flow to the engine during cold starts.

The Baldwin B114 is a replacement for the E filter. It uses the 35-lb spring in the bypass valve. I use the B114 in my car.

Brian, 97 Passat TDI

ALCO

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 A3 Jetta, silver/2005 B5 Passat, silver
Could one of you fellows direct me to an authoratative source for info on the bypass pressure differences? The Mann website shows that the only difference is cannister size but this is not the first time I've seen references to the differing bypass limits in threads. Thanks!