If you have to replace my B4 wagon, what would you get?

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI, 2011 JSW TDI & 2018 Atlas 2.0T S
My beloved B4V was involved in a collision recently and I have this sinking feeling that the other person' insurance company will say that my car is a complete loss. As sad as I am and still partially in denial, I need to start thinking about something to fill that void.

All of us know and love the B4V for its practicality, roominess, ability to be worked on, simplicity, and character. These are all the things I want in my next car. So, my criteria would be;

1) A VW
2) TDI
3) Wagon
4) Roomy
5) Manual transmission

With the current state of affairs with VW and diesels, I feel like I have very little options. I may be willing to go with another manufacturer if VW is totally out of the diesel market and taking its 2014 and newer cars with it.

So, what would you get?

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Based on the damage, is it technically repairable? In the adjuster's eyes, I doubt it takes much to total one of these out.

Start looking for comps. I'm thinking of that one that sold for $11k, on eBay. Adjuster will tell you to find local sales, but with cars this old, it's hard to do.

About 5-10 years ago I got over $5k for an 83 Rabbit I was daily driving. Insurance companies wanted local sales, and I told them to find local sales on a car that old. Their adjuster noted the interior as "showroom condition".

-Todd

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
It was a pretty bad collision so I think it may not be repairable. Not sure how to post pictures but I can email them to you

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Oh no :( Sorry to hear. That's basically the ideal wagon diesel.

I would not touch a commonrail if you previously had a B4. You'll hate working on it and they're too complicated for their own good. I've personally owned mostly MK1/2s and going from that MK2/3/B4 platform to working on Mk6s is not fun.

A4 jetta wagon, either an ALH or BEW should do you well. I personally opted for a BEW, because it was available, because I don't need to buy nozzles to make decent power, and they're a good amount smoother which never hurts.

The ALH is a more simple motor, gets better fuel economy, and is easier to work on. Buy an ALH wagon if you can find one, settle for a BEW if you come across the right one. You can't go wrong with either car. I've fit a full VR swap with my crane in the back and wouldn't hesitate to drive it across country with 200k miles on the clock.

Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mangled metal sometimes looks worse than it actually is, if you have the drive to fix it.

Use a hosting site like Photobucket. They give you the IMG tags, so it's just cutting and pasting links.

-Todd

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
To make things worse, I am on vacation, so I am only on my phone and no real computer. I am in Charleston A few more days and then head back up to the D.C. area; while my Passat is stuck here.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
To make things worse, I am on vacation, so I am only on my phone and no real computer. I am in Charleston A few more days and then head back up to the D.C. area; while my Passat is stuck here.
Sorry to hear about your situation, if you have time post up some photographs so we can try and assess the extent of the damage. I'm hoping that the immediate shock will wear off and maybe it won't be as bad as you think.

As for replacement there's really nothing on the market that compares with these cars. The Audi A6 Avant is as large (or close) but only available here with gas 6 cylinder and AT, Europe was fortunate to get those with TDI power and MT but we didn't. It's basically a market niche that no one fills anymore. One big reason I converted a gas B3V to TDI was to get a car that's the right size with the engine / trans I want and the cargo capacity I need.

I hope you can find something that works for you if it can't be fixed.

Steve

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
FWIW the absolute easiest way to post photos from a phone (and to deal with forums in general) is to install Tapatalk...

There really aren't all that many options that are a true equivalent to the B3/B4 wagons. The older Mercedes wagons are in the same size class and are available with diesels but they're mechanically quite primitive compared to a TDI. They're also a lot heavier so they won't ever match the economy of a B4.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow.... Looks like she did her best to protect you! Doesn't seem to be any intrusion to the passenger compartment. Did the door still open ok?

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
She did protect me very well. The drivers door I was able to open but it will not close. The interior itself was fine, other than both airbags deploying.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wow, that looks worse than I was expecting. Everyone walk away, ok? Any engine damage?

The fact that you're far from home will make this more difficult. Terrible that it happened while on vacation.

-Todd

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Nick, there's no way they'd consider repairing that. That's quite a hit.

How about a Golf or a late model Passat wagon?

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
WOW, that is a big hit! Glad you got out OK. Afraid it is indeed totaled :/

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't know the status of the engine because I couldn't get the hood opened to get a better look. I can't remember whether I shut the engine down after the accident or if it shut itself off.

It would be nice to get the engine and transmission out but I am more concerned now with how much the other persons insurance will provide so I can find a replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI

I tried to take a few pictures of the engine through the mangled hood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Yeah, I agree with the others who've said that it's not likely repairable. That's disappointing because there's nothing out there that can adequately replace it.

I will say though that I would bet that the engine is ok, based on what I see in the photos, it looks like the damage went up and over everything, coolers and upper support in front are obviously ruined but since it appears the front lower engine carrier didn't get pushed back I'd have to believe the engine survived.

My heart goes out to you, there's nothing worse than having something you really treasure and count on being ruined by someone else, and then having them not want to compensate you adequately for the loss.

Steve

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Pretty sure the engine should cut off when the airbags deploy. I believe that's one of the features of the dreaded 109 relay.

Skeej760

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Wolfsburg Passat TDI B4 1Zwagon
Replace Tdi passat wagen with a little cargo van that drives like a car

Ohhh..man, brownman- that really SUCKS. Sympathy to you.
IF you mean, replace the whole vehicle (not, like replace all the broken schtuff), then...
Funny you should ask, because I am reluctantly considering same, as my beloved B4V is slowly running out of parts availability as the 20 year old rubber and plastic dries out...I am not a wrench, and admire the obsessive attention to fixing things by so many here...that i have to pay for someone else who knows what they are doing can do for me. One can become devoted to old VW engineering and even (speaking for myself here, a little ADD) and lose sight of the forest for the -
look theres a Rabbit Build! (Brandon you know who you are...)

Speaking of near aspy-stubbon-ness- Right now I am embarked on FrankenRetroWindowTechBuild B4V #2 in the Entire World, via manual cranks, just because I refuse to be stuck in -40 below rural CO on my 4x/yr trips to ND or WA....;).

And only if MATT AHU replies to say he can do it...so I dont have to blow my brains out taking those doors and parts off for the tenth time, and/or paying the endlessly patient Brandon at VW Carlsbad to fix what I broke...

Sorry, I digressed - IF I have to keep putting in a couple three grand a year to fix and upgrade, at some point I hit breakeven, EVEN with diesel fuel savings, vs something else with lower cost of operation, that wont need work done for a few years, at max efficient regular gas mpg.

Even though I LURV this thing for its freakishly enormous utility, reliably chugging along at 80mph through WYO hinterlands hauling stuff through snow blizzards flying over potholes and ice day and night, in windy remote places where Mother Nature routinely tosses semis and $75,000 montana limousines (aka PTA Mom 4wd pickup trucks) into ditches on both sides, while my little FWD Bavarian Rollerskate is unmolested,

the limiting feature for me is this- there are fewer and fewer mechs who actually can work on them, reliably. Never mind searching remote scrapyards for parts...do you know how cold it is in MPLS looking for door parts in January, fer chrissakes?

So, I must apply reason, rational common sense, that the already geeky tool guy might not have too, by virture of his own mad skilz, and spare time.

I make $2000/yr on direct texpense write off at $0.55/mile as it is, but if I have to spend that plus another $2k, worst case, ever year to keep it going...when do I break even...never mind brain damage trying to read this weird german format shop manual. ***- translate wire diagrams, really? I'm lucky if I dont pour the motor oil in the windshield wiper tank. Thats the little one on the left, right?

(oh, yeah. and, never mind, "is that upgraded injector, chip and tune that I secretly slaver for worth it?" plus those Audi TT whatchamacallits that keep you glued to the road no matter what. I mean, its like keeping up with the JohnJacksons around here in these forums, if you lose your head...and have an unlimited wallet...;)

But, I digress. Back to freakish utility and reliability KISS for my needs:
A step up in utility with peace of mind being new or a year old vs 20 yr old, with FWD driveability, best in class towing 500lbs above the B4v, and 4x the cargo room, also best in class, and at half the price of a pickup with shell, would be the

Dodge ProMaster City- 30 mpg regular gas, ok ok not nearly same as 40 mpg ingreen goo, but max utility and yeah, ok- not so fancy, but who cares what your teenagers think about you, which sadly, is pretty far down in status conscious Kali, as is...(not that I actually care about that, either- I just remind them this car is paying for their college costs )
Anyway- I digress, Dodge drives like a car, pretty peppy in the city, and with 9 speed transmission(huh?) means low revs at 80-85mph...making money the faster you go...

Yeah, I'd rather stick with diesel just because I can tow an oversized horse trailer with it, (well, not actually on a road or something, but maybe across the parking lot), and

a side note- when VW gets to selling off whats on back lots there might be some bargains, but I am not so sure I want to screw with blue pee, in addition to green goo. Maybe I'm probably just getting too old and need to KISS. plus tired of searching for green pump handles in sketchy neighborhoods late in the night if I fail to plan ahead.

Also, and seriously, here in Kali, its not so easy to figure gas vs diesel - didja notice how that G_DDAMM GOV MOONBEAM just doubled the CA tax on diesel, and thats on prices that are inverted already, and $1 higher than the rest of the nation, or at least midwest.
So, at some point there is a breakeven there...someone help me with the formula, willya?
New 23K, in basic cargo trim.
Preowned at $16K, and 100K/7 warranty.
This would actually be great for hauling all my boxes of slightly used door and window spare parts to and from MattAHUs shop, and towing my Little White Whale, to from while is awaiting salvation there...hmmm. I could live in it while scouring remote rural junkyards for more b4V parts...the possibilities are endless.
Anyone know about towing a B4V?

Last edited:

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
No , really. Tell us how you really feel. Seems like a hate hate relationship.

Find another wagon to swap that engine in. Keep on truckin. I'm driving the salvaged wagon now.

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon tdi, 1991 Corrado TDI (sold)1983 Vanagon 7pass.GL 1.6td 1982 Westy;THE PHOENIX 1.6na(NOW JX/5speed) my partner's 2014 Jetta Sportwagon 6spd manual AND MY NEW TOY/PROJECT... Sunny, a bright yellow 87 syncro Westy with 1Z TDI motor
check out a far away from the beltway body shop... they may be able to resurrect it for less than you might think... especially of you do the leg work on finding a donor parts car.

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon tdi, 1991 Corrado TDI (sold)1983 Vanagon 7pass.GL 1.6td 1982 Westy;THE PHOENIX 1.6na(NOW JX/5speed) my partner's 2014 Jetta Sportwagon 6spd manual AND MY NEW TOY/PROJECT... Sunny, a bright yellow 87 syncro Westy with 1Z TDI motor
and I think I saw a nice tdi wagon or 2 for sale on the samba... asking hi prices... but worth
it!

bigrichard

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V GLX 1996; sold the Jetta PD Wagon 2004
Looks dreadful.
Glad everyone is OK

I recently slid my B4V into a guardrail. Ended up being mostly sheet metal replacement from a donor and a new radiator. Really not a big deal.

As long as the unibody frame is straight or can be straightened with minimal effort, the sheet metal is mostly plug and chug with a little pounding with a hammer. The condenser, radiator, supports bumper mounts, bumper and air box are probably gone. Those items can be harvested from a TDI or gasser. The rad support will have to match the radiator. If you're patient, you might be able to find one with a color match. And the donor can be a sedan.

You might ask a body shop to prepare the engine compartment and front frame rails and replace the windshield. You could easily do the rest.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Back to the OP's original question, I'd look for the best MKIV ALH Jetta wagon you can find. Other than a smaller rear seat space I'd consider it an upgrade to a B4. Still reasonably simple, easy to maintain, parts costs are reasonable, and if you can "settle" for 700-800 miles per fill you'll like it. I've owned a B4V, and currently own a B4, but I prefer the A4 platform cars for their improved handling and quiet. Good Jetta Wagons are hard to find, but not as hard as good B4Vs.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400

This was my salvage that I bought back. Fight their insurance for the value. Tell them the Comparables need to be wagon tdi . Then fight s'more.

This spent a long time on the frame puller , some repair , some paint and it's back to commuting 50 miles a day.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
<snip>

My heart goes out to you, there's nothing worse than having something you really treasure and count on being ruined by someone else, and then having them not want to compensate you adequately for the loss.

Steve

Most important thing here is that nobody got hurt! Our cars are just metal. They can be replaced, fixed, etc.

Not so with people.

Kooyajerms can give you pointers on dealing with the insurance companies here in California.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I have to agree with all of I.B.W.s comments but one.
I prefer the BEW PD mark4 to the ALH version.

That said.... I'm starting to look at the feasibility / practicality of a possible BRM swap into a mark6 Passat wagon....

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
I had a much more knowledgeable TDIClub member take a look at the car (at the tow lot) and his opinion was that the engine and transmission is likely ok (other than the externals that got crushed in the collision). I've pretty much made up my mind that I will not be trying to rebuild my car because I honestly don't have the time or space to do it (especially since I am moving in a few months). There are a lot of great parts on this car that I think would be valuable to other B4's or as a potential conversion project. Parts include:

-Dieselgeek short shifter
-Evolution metal skid pan
-14" polished LaCastellet wheels with nearly new Michelins
-sunroof
-other body parts
-headlight switch for fog lights
-engine
-Transmission
-Dashboard
-others that I can't really think of now.

Last edited:

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
I've been looking for a MKIV Jetta wagon, but have also been reading about how the 2015 TDI's are now starting to trickle out to sell to consumers.

Part of me is wondering if it would be better to start off with a 2015 VW versus a 14 year old model. I know there is a price premium, but is it worth it over the long run? I would be interested in your thoughts on that.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You're asking this question to a forum full of people who are maintaining cars 20+ years old...

Did you mind maintaining your B4? Was it nickel and diming you?

With a car payment comes a warranty... maybe a loaner car when it goes in for service. Consider the monthly payment as buying free time.

-Todd