Buying/trading advice with questions

moroza

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 Passat sedan
I have a black 96 B4 TDI sedan with either 157 or 167k on it (odometer pixels are ambiguous). It's a reliable DD with no major mechanical or other issues. Paint is ok except for the hood. Minor and easily repairable body damage. Only rust is one wheelwell where a tire exploded and took off some paint. Interior ok, dirty, one worn seat.

It has thus far failed to capture my heart and I have no sentimental attachment to it; it's just a very efficient and otherwise moderate/reasonable/competent/solid appliance.

I'd be more excited about a wagon, and this opportunity presents itself:

A white B4V TDI with 300k. "Ran when parked"; needs a starter and a battery to testdrive. Front right frame horn is bent inward from an accident but it drove from TX to MT like that. Clearcoat is heavily worn to the point that the paint itself is lifting off like white dust. Interior ok, but it sat for four years with the windows cracked open and there's water in/under the carpet. It has no sunroof which is a huge bonus for me (a bonus I paid ~$700 to effect on my BMW). There's rust around the windshield but nowhere else.

I've been offered a straight trade for mine, including parts to fix it up (fender, grill, black interior, odd-n-ends... the owner is a small specialty wrecker/dealer and has the goods). I like wagons, I like no sunroof, I like black but can live with white, and I'm a professional mechanic (but not a paint- or body-worker at all).

Were you in my place, would you take the trade?

Also, there is a black B4V with good paint, but it's a VR6. I'm no stranger to electrical projects and major driveline swaps. Still, how big a can of worms is converting this one to a TDI?

Questions, comparing the B4 to the B4V:
1. Fuel mileage? Worse aero and more weight must mean theoretically lower mileage. Is it enough to notice?

2. Road noise. There's a lot less sound deadening back there than my BMW, or my B4 for that matter. I'm already not impressed with the road noise in my sedan. Is a B4V meaningfully louder?

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
Instead of a trade, how much $$ would he want? If you have the space, maybe you'd rather have a "fleet". Trading a reliable DD for "it runs in Park" may be a highly regrettable move.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
The water inside would put me off, all of the other things I wouldn't have a problem with but water in the cabin is a recipe for yuck.

The interior would have to be completely removed (seats, console, carpets) in order to effectively dry it out and do the work properly. The pads under the carpet get wet and then they smell and continue to do so.

I like wagons but I'm not sure it's worth the trade. I also don't like the idea that it needs a starter in order to test drive or even hear it run.

I'd want to keep what I had while I got the wagon in good working order TBH. How much to just buy the wagon?

Good luck

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Doesn't sound like a fair trade, at all.

When was the last time it ran? Can't temporarily install a battery and push/pull start it?

-Todd

moroza

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 Passat sedan
I think they wanted 1-1.5k for it. I passed on the trade, partly for the accumulation of reasons, decisively because I wear a lot of black and white paint coming off would get real old real quick.