Ithaca NY or Rochester NY

eztalking

TDI
None =(
I am looking t buy and was wondering if anyone had a positive or negative experience at either the VW dealers in Rochester or Ithaca NY? I am learning toward Ithaca for service since my girlfriend works there and it would be convenient. Any feedback on either dealer would be appreciated. Thanks

iamstuffed

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI Blue Anthracite
I bought some oil from Dorschel when I visited my girlfriend's parents in Rochester. I was surprised they had the correct oil for my car (505.01), since TDIs aren't common in NY.

Vincent VW wanted $28 per quart! I asked the person on the phone several times to repeat that amount, and sure enough, they repeated it. Dorschel was more reasonable, I think $7 per quart. The person at the parts department at Dorschel seemed nice and polite when I visited.

I have no experience with either's service department though. Are you looking for a dealer to purchase from or to have your car serviced at? Why not learn how to do your own maintenance?

eztalking

TDI
None =(
Yes Yes and maybe? I am looking to buy. I don't currently own a TDI. That would be the first step in this process.

I would probably have the shop do some things and I would probably do some. I have never owned a diesel engine so I need to become more custom to that. I had an Audi A4 at one point and found it difficult to work on. Not that it couldn't be but it was a hassle. Like changing the oil you had to take the skid plate off the bottom to get to the drain. Not that it was hard. It was just more of a headache. I would do some of it to answer your question.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Are you looking to buy new or used??? Automatic or manual?Parts dept is decent at Dorschel,never had service done there though.I bought a bolt at Vincents once-was not impressed.I don't believe they have any used TDI's for sale right now. Read these forums thoroughly so you know what to expect with these cars-most dealers are not too good working w/TDI's,especially here in NY where they hadn't been sold new since 2003 until last year.If you are looking to buy new-try Chris Farnham(member 3193) here on the forums-many club members have bought from him and he can probably get the best deal around on a new TDI for you(and maybe used also)....

eztalking

TDI
None =(
I am looking new. I want manual but I need to talk the girlfriend into it. She has never driven standard and is worried about driving it. Dorchel had a fair number on the lot. (At least their website says they have a lot.)

Does Chris work for a dealership? If so what dealership/state is he in? I will try to get in contact with him.

Thank you for sharing your experiences about Dorchel and Vincent. Where in WNY are you located? I am down in Corning. Located right where the catalytic converters are made for the TDI.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I'm halfway between Buffalo and Rochester-Chris works for Langhorne VW in PA.-just outside Philly.There is a VW-only dealer in Orchard Park-their labor rates were reasonable last time I checked ($75/hr,IIRC),and the people in parts were friendly.I haven't heard any horror stories about them,I think they are one of the better VW dealers in the U.S.-a diesel is best vehicle to learn a manual on-more difficult to stall out than a gasser...