Thanks to all and a must read....read last reply

bulverde

Haven't been here in a while and love all the changes. Here's the problem. I commute from San Antonio to Austin and love the TDI. Went 96,000 miles on my '01 Jetta with no prblems. Then check engine light came on. Brought it to the dealer and the mass airflow meter was bad. Paid $600.00 to replace. 5,000 miles later, it went out again. Replaced under parts warranty. Then again at 112,000 and 118,000 miles??? The last time, the dealer said that they overlooked a dirty air filter and thus the reason for all the failures. I follow proper maintenance but accepted it as gospil. Now...at 130,500 miles, the check engine is on again, burning 3 times the fuel (the normal symptom of the mass air flow meter) and since I am beyond the 12,000 mile parts warranty, I have to pay another $600.00 to replace.

Here's the problem. I have no problem repairing a broken part. But, when the vehicle goes 96,000 miles without a failure and then goes through 4 and soon to be 5 mass air flow meter within the next 30,000 miles, I think the dealer is fixing the core problem but not the global problem.

1) Has anyone had this same experience?

2) Can I buy this part aftermarket for less $$.

Help....

Kurt

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Help with Mass Air Flow Meter

I can help you with the replacements at an economical cost. Follow the links in this thread.

I think your dealer is blowing smoke. Have you checked the electrical connector to your MAF? IIRC, some MAF problems were solved by replacing these connections.

The rest of y'all chime in. Only thing I can think of.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon

VW has lowered the price on the TDI MAF's. they are now about $80 or so. And easy to change yourself, so no need to pay the stealership 1 hour labor to remove & replace 1 clamp & 2 screws.

As already mentioned, the connectors are known to cause problems. Poor contacts can cause irregular voltage and this can prematurely wear out the part. Try the 'cage' mod where he puts dielectric grease in the connector housing.

Dutch

Veteran Member
TDI
110kW 2.0 TDI Golf model 7

A (normal) failing MAF has a lower output voltage than a good MAF at the same airflow. In my opinion this is caused by wear or fouling. I've seen quite a few of these MAFs, but they NEVER had a CEL. This failure can be fixed by a recalibration circuit I made. I've tested it quite some time and it works perfect.(http://www.geocities.com/tech4tdi)
If your CEL is on, I would expect something different. Either the MAF is really toast or the connectors are a problem.
Reading your story, I don't believe you have normal MAF problem. First check the MAF connector. See what it looks like and measure the 12V and 5V voltages on the connector. Also check the ground wire of the connector.
After that you can measure the output voltage of the MAF. (Ignition on, engine not running) It should read 1.0V.
If the MAF is really toast, you should find out why. It doesn't make sense that they burn out. So also check the battery cables and alternator connection just to make sure the battery voltage is not the problem.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS

Just another thing to check but... if your dealer 'overlooked' checking your air filter the it follows they probably never heard of a snow screen. You should check yours to make sure it's not completely blocked. Do a search here for 'snowscreen' or 'snow screen' and learn the ins and outs of cleaning it. It may not be the source of your problem but it's worth checking out.

bulverde

Wow!!! Thanks for all the help. A few answers. Yes the CEL light is still on. Thought it may have been bad fuel but the fuel mileage and history made me think differently. New tank of fuel and light still on.

Next...I think I can change the Air Flow but wouldn't really know how to check the connections. There must be a bigger problem that is causing such a continuous failure.

A few questions....Is there a water seperator? Could this cause a problem? What is the snow...? Never heard of it.

I still work in Austin. Embarrassed to say that I own an extended warranty/roadside assistance company but still need the dealer to fix. I purchased a new timing belt, etc from a guy in Austin. Is that you??? I would really like an opinion other than the dealer and appreciate your assistance. Let me know how to contact you.

Kurt

Dieselgeek

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2016 Golf TDI

It was me, Jim Royston aka "dieselgeek", that sold you the tbelt kit. Either Runonbeer or I can check out your MAF wiring. Sounds like something's up with the wires.

bulverde

Thanks...and a must read for TDI Club members

I replied to my previous post to give everyone a little history. There are many references made here and kudos deserved. This is why I love the club!!

I took dieselgeek up on his offer to look at my car and try to determine why I have used 5 mass air flow meters in 30,000 miles. I purchased my last timing belt kit from him and knew of his detailed nature.

As you all know, Dieselgeek is in retirement, specializing in the parts distribution business and no longer working on vehicles

I brought my '01 Jetta TDI to him and pleaded for help. No way it could use 5 MAF's in 30k....He agreed. Must be the wiring. After much discussion, he agreed to check out the wiring and discovered an actual glow plug problem not another MAF. Happy days.

Here's where the kudos begin. Dieselgeek came out of retirement for a brief moment to check out my TDI. For that I am grateful.

Asked him about the unheard of "snowscreen" pointed out by FlyTDI Guy and you were dead on the money!! The screen was absolutely blocked. We cut it out. Thank you for pointing out this unknown issue.

Here is the real deal...During the test drive with dieselgeek, he pointed out that the stock shifter was long, loose and sloppy. My thought? A commuter car that I love but not in real need of performance mods. Boy was I wrong.

I agreed to add the dieselgeek Ultra SS short shifter (as long as he would install it taking further advantage of his retirement). The CNC machining was really quite beautiful and exacting in its measurements. 15 minutes later and we were back in the car trying out the new shifter.

A quick test drive with dieselgeek and I noticed a difference but was soon on my way.

It has now been 6 days with the new shifter and I am enjoying it more and more each day. The shifts are shorter and more positive. It is fun to feel the car in gear and, as a coffee drinker (and radar detector user), the short shift is much more ergonomic allowing more room.

With 132,000 miles, my next purchase is the new timing belt kit that dieselgeek indicated comes with water pump, improved pulleys and belt and good for 100,000 miles. I may look to clean the intake, get a performace chip and get the egr replacement tube at the same time.

Sound like an advertisement?? I hope not not. Just really thankful to all in here for the advice and appreciative of dieselgeek for coming out of retirement. Special thanks for turning me on the short shift kit.

thanks to all,

Kurt

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Re: Thanks...and a must read for TDI Club members

Thats really fantastic to hear! This is what this club is all about.

cevans

garnet

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Jetta
Re: Thanks...and a must read for TDI Club members

I bet its the SNOW SCREEN, same thing happened to me.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Thanks...and a must read for TDI Club members

Glad to hear all worked out well. Dealers are notorious for just throwing parts at a problem until it goes away, usually at the owners expense. Indeed, this club is a wealth of TDI specific knowledge and a much needed resource if you want to properly maintain your car. Spend much time reading here and both you and your car will be better for it...