My stock MK7 - 2015 Golf Hatchback TDI 6MT -week 1 review

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI, was 06 Jetta TDI, 15 q7 tdi, was 11 Q7 TDI
I've had it for 1 week and drove it for 1500km, 1300km by me, and probably 200km by my wife.
Each fill was about 700km worth. 1st fill calculated on pen and paper turned out to be about 5.3L/100km, the 2nd fill was 5.8L/100km.
The 1st fill was mostly commuting to work, with very little city driving. The roads were also pretty slick, so speeds were down around the 80-90kph.
The 2nd fill included about 200- 250km of city driving, Heidelberg down to Ayr through KW twice (10 roundabouts every km or so for a big stretch along ira needles), driving down/up Franklin Blvd in Cambridge to get to Hamilton, plus a roundtrip to Toronto (260km) on the weekend with the family (wife and 2 teenage kids). Fuel economy was respectable.
I put in about 12L of adblue in the vehicle, as I got it with a near empty adblue tank (2500km warning when I picked it up)
I got the windows tinted with a ceramic tint on Friday (35% in the front, 20% in the back) White cars look suhweet with tinted windows.
Oil Change on a Cdn Model with Coolant heater.
Pain in the buttocks. Coolant heater is in the way of the oil filter, It is held in by a bracket with a really tight spring clamp, and the bracket itself is screwed into the engine block with a torx screw. Both seem to have to come off to finagle the oil filter out of there, and back in.
I did an oil change as I do not know the history of the car, and the current oil change sticker from the Infiniti dealership where I bought it indicates that it needed to be done at 70K km (I was at 66K km) I have my doubts that it was vw 507 oil. It had a fram filter in good shape in it. (I am indifferent to FRAM as a brand, and have used it multiple times on other mostly non-German applications). I put in a Hengst (sp?) filter in. I did not have an aluminum crush washer at home, so I used a copper washer (from Harbor Freight) for the drain plug. It seemed to have the right amount of crush. I put in 5L of LM Toptec 4200, with a splash of Total 507 oil.
What's more of a pain, is that whoever traded in this vehicle didn't seem to include the coolant heater extension cord. It's over $100cdn from the dealer, I have a lead on one for $50 from another person who didn't turn it in with the car, but I am on the fence as to whether I need it. It's garaged most nights in the winter, and my BRM Jetta always started without one...
-----
Finally Driving impressions.
I'm coming from a 2006 BRM Jetta 5speed that's been tuned 3 weeks after I bought it 5 yrs ago. I loved the low end grunt from about 1800-2500rpm with the Malone 1.5 tune. The BRM has over 312K km on it, and a small oil leak, and exhaust smell sometimes at idle.
----
It was not love at first sight. I really missed the lowend torque from the BRM.
HOWEVER, In a week this car has grown on me considerably, I feel myself sneak a grin every once in while, when I am rowing through the gears.
It's definitely missing something down low, but seems to wake up around 2200rpm, up to about 3500 rpm. I think this is where the powerband is in it's post-Dieselgate stock tune. (in some ways, you almost have to drive it like a NA gasser.?)
I have taught my right foot that it needs to go a little deeper into the throttle, but more times than not, there is some decent acceleration to be had. I could get a pedalbox for $$$, but I think it's just cheaper to retrain my right foot.
6th gear is tall... for County roads with speed limits of 80 and 90kph, most people travel between 95-105kph... 6th gear has no grunt to pass a schoolbus effectively at those speeds. I need to retrain myself to shift into 5th or 4th for an effective pass. This is the part I miss the most.
When I got the car, I spent the 1st couple days researching TD1, tunes, piggybacks in an effort to add more soul to this vehicle. I had done the VCDS tweaks with throttle and anti-shudder already... Now, I'm not so keen that I *need* to mod how the ECU fuels the car (partly because the piggyback solutions all seem based out of Europe, and a pain to get good info on) I likely going to keep it stock for now...
--- Next steps ---
- take a peak at the cabin and air filters, and see if they need replacing.
- contact VW to see if I need to register with them to get the 2nd DPF replacement, or any future warranty work.
Piggyback tuner is on the backburner for now.
-- Researching Android based head units, and likely going to see about getting one for this vehicle. I want to make sure the CANBUS integration works at least 95%, as well as warm boot times, and instantaneous switching for the rear view camera.... A couple Chinese based companies make some that fit the MK7 dash.
-- Going to treat myself to some tailored rubber floor mats (not WeatherTech). There is a set on Amazon.ca that intriques me, and my wife was asking for bday gift suggestion so that will hopefully come in the next few weeks.
-- going to do a DIY refinish job on my trashed alloy VW winter rims...I prefer the silver look, but going dark to appease my 13 yr old son... I'm shooting for graphite, but he's trying to convince me to go the blacked out route. Should be a fun dad-son project.
-- what do people use on the 'pleather'/vinyl seats? Just interior detailer?

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Thx for the review!

My wife put floor mats in from Findway, a CAN company, in her GSW. They are cut to fit the Mk7, rubber underneath, and carpeted on top to match. I prefer these greatly over the Weathertech and similar all-rubber styles, although the Monster Mats in my MkIV do hold lots of melted snow-water.

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
+1 on the Findway mats.

And you can improve the throttle response using OBDEleven it or VCDS.

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI, was 06 Jetta TDI, 15 q7 tdi, was 11 Q7 TDI
+1 on the Findway mats.

And you can improve the throttle response using OBDEleven it or VCDS.

Yeah, I already did that when I test rode the car before I bought it... Saleslady didn't mind...

-- Got an email from Siriusxm yesterday... got a 3 month free trial... switched it to satellite and it works!

gqboy

TDI
2015 Golf
Let us know how it goes with the head unit search. I was contemplating to upgrade to MIB II at one point but after hours of reading decided that it was too complex for my comfort level. Oh, and $$ too...

TDI73

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
I have 2015 Golf TDI 6MT - first owner, and I would suggest a heater cord, for next winter for sure. It will start no problem without being plugged in, but I find it helps with much faster warm up . I use it only when it is below -10C - my car is outside all the time. I too also have 2006 BRM and yes, it starts ok in -20C left outside all night....
$50 for cord is ok price.....