Buyback cars, what is the warranty?

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
I bought my buyback car from a wholesaler, not a VW dealer. As far as I knew I would be entitled to the 12 year/162K warranty on the emissions. I also heard the car originally came with a 3/36 bumper to bumper which I knew was expired. I am a little confused about the power train warranty though, I didn't think I would have one but I have been hearing I may have an extended power train warranty, anyone know the specifics on that?

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
As long as your car has had one of the two phases of fixes performed, you’re entitled to the warranty listed on the pamphlet that came with your car.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Make sure you use Capital letters, the lookup is case sensitive.
Thanks that worked. It did indeed show the same info my brochure shows, 11 years or 162K on the emissions system. What I am curious about however is the power train warranty. I did not buy a CPO nor from a VW dealer but I am assuming (hoping) that I still get the power train warranty which I believe is 5 yrs/60K correct?

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
The original powertrain was 5 years/60,000 miles from original delivery daye. The transmission is not covered under the extended diesel emission warranty but most of the motor/emissions components are covered.

keith102

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6spd
Interesting that the 2015 Golf TDI I just purchased 2 weeks ago shows that only partial modification has been completed on it. The dealership I purchased it from says both stages were completed. Guess I'll be calling VW tomorrow to figure what's up.

Modification Completed for this Vehicle (VIN):
PARTIAL

BMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Touareg TDI
Interesting that the 2015 Golf TDI I just purchased 2 weeks ago shows that only partial modification has been completed on it. The dealership I purchased it from says both stages were completed. Guess I'll be calling VW tomorrow to figure what's up.

Modification Completed for this Vehicle (VIN):
PARTIAL
My 15 shows the same. Bought one about a month ago Phase 1 was done back in 12-17 had phase 2 done a year later 12-18 but still hasn't updated. Not sure how long it would take to update on the site? I wonder if the warranty would also re-start from the new date of phase 2?

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
My 15 shows the same. Bought one about a month ago Phase 1 was done back in 12-17 had phase 2 done a year later 12-18 but still hasn't updated. Not sure how long it would take to update on the site? I wonder if the warranty would also re-start from the new date of phase 2?
Same here, the dealer says mine is complete but the site says only partial

Last edited:

BMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Touareg TDI
I just sent off an email to a VW rep that was helping me before I did the phase 2. I asked her how long will it take to update on the site after phase 2 was done? And if the warranty will re-start from that date?

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Out of curiosity I downloaded VAG DPF just to see my oil ash load. According to the program it is 10.9 grams which, if the dpf was replaced 1,000 miles ago is way high and if it wasn't replaced is way low. With only 27K on the car at the time of the emissions mods I suspect the dpf was left alone and will be replaced at 70K per the brochure. To me the ash load being that low on the original dpf is very encouraging unless I am missing something.