89 toyota pickup ahu swap

Bobob729

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Got my little toyota for my swap. its a 89 base model with a 4 speed and i have already started accumulating swap parts. I got a w58 transmission out of a supra a 22re cad plate and thats about it. Motor is coming out of a 98 jetta with OE t5 nozzles and a malone tune already on it also with a rebuilt injection pump and a rebuilt motor. I plan on keeping the electronics so it may take some time to get everything wired and all. (this will be the hardest part for me but im not worried) Any help is appreciated. I just need to start pulling motors to get stuff started. I plan on doing body work as i build but whatever comes first, will come first. Heres a pic of the truck i dont have the car pics just yet.

Last edited:

Bobob729

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
not bad for 400 bucks. im going to try and start pulling the harness out of the jetta monday if the weather permits. my tranny and plate and all should show up tues wednesday and then need to figure out what clutch to go with. Any suggestons i have the bigger toyota flywheel already

djtc

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 golf tdi
You should do a low solid axle 4x4 conversion since your 2wd frame has a higher frame arch vs the 4x4 frame

You could machine your flywheel to accept the larger 5vz clutch aisin part number. Ckt-040

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
ahu mtdi samurai swap, 1991 jetta ecodiesel
I agree, the 2wd's work great for doing solid axle swaps on.

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
No doubt about it, but unless he plans to off road with it I would leave it the way it is and take advantage of its light weight and small tires. It will be quick and get great mileage.

Bobob729

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
You should do a low solid axle 4x4 conversion since your 2wd frame has a higher frame arch vs the 4x4 frame

You could machine your flywheel to accept the larger 5vz clutch aisin part number. Ckt-040
with all the searching i have done it looks like that is the route im going to take

Bobob729

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
No doubt about it, but unless he plans to off road with it I would leave it the way it is and take advantage of its light weight and small tires. It will be quick and get great mileage.
this is all i want i wouldnt mind 4x4 but im building this for a good mpg truck so i have a way to haul my skis other than getting my golf dirty and still get 40 pulling. After i made a trip from wichita ks to daytona beach and back with a ski and only spend 130 each way. I decided to do something different and hope it comes out well.

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
I am finishing the build up of my AHU to put into the truck in my sig (also 2wd). Gonna be nice to see another one, make sure you keep this updated. :)

Bobob729

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I will definitely keep it updated u should make a build thread to.. Like I said hardest part is finding what wires I need. Anyone have any help on this? Need diagram and what wires I will need most of the pics in older threads are gone and pictures show a lot bit so far that's all.

Last edited:

Bobob729

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
alright so getting back to this. Ive been busy working on my skis instead of the truck for the summer but got the motor out of the jetta and wiring. I have the 68 pin ahu ecu and want to make sure before i start cutting up wires exactly what i will need. If from everythign i have read is correct.. I should need the following sensor shown in this
http://www.haywood-sullivan.com/vanagon/TDI/tdi-technik-eng.pdf all i need is a definite answer because i dont want to be the guy who screws my self and has to start rewiring twice. Any help is appreciated