Adding a coolant heater to 01m cooler coolant lines?

rt_hawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi Q7 TDI S-Line
I took off my stock 01m trans cooler and replaced it with a tube and fin style air to oil cooler with a magnefine filter in line. Work great, trans temps are way better. Anyway, I used a hose splice that came with the sonnax kit to tie the coolant lines together. Could I put a coolant heater in that spot instead? I don't know how the coolant flows through there so I figured I would ask and see if anyone else had done this. If not, would a heater in that spot provide enough flow to be worthwhile? Or would it cause damage from not having enough flow?

Thanks in advance, Sean.

John B

TDI
01 Golf 02 Golf
Sounds like a good idea to me. I've shot a lot of deer in your area. Bear Valley.

rt_hawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi Q7 TDI S-Line
Richland county has been producing some nice deer. Own some land in bear valley or just hit up a friends/public land?

Last edited:

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI Manual(performed 01M to 5-speed swap) - 183,000 miles and climbing!
That is a great place for a coolant heater since it always flows through that loop. Well done!

rt_hawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi Q7 TDI S-Line
Good deal, I bought a kats tank heater, 1000w, it is suppose to be mounted vertically, with the arrow pointing up, does it really matter? Couldn't I just put it horizontally with the "down" side, where the inlet comes out of the side, up? Should make the coolant flow up I'd think...anybody done this, have input?

rt_hawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi Q7 TDI S-Line
Anyone know if you can mount a kats heater on its side, this one does not have a check valve?? The inlet will be where the fluid would exit as it rises then, should flow, right?

John B

TDI
01 Golf 02 Golf
Richland county has been producing some nice deer. Own some land in bear valley or just hit up a friends/public land?
My dad has a 60A piece in richland co & some in Bear Valley in Sauk co. Definately more deer in Bear Valley. I'm going to do your heater idea. My trans guy said ditch that cooler & use air.

rt_hawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi Q7 TDI S-Line
Cool, if you need pics let me know, the whole coolant cooler is kinda silly in warm temps, trying to cool a transmission with 195 degrees water...

rt_hawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi Q7 TDI S-Line
Last edited: