Dyno in Rochester NY.

87homebuilttdi

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 tdi, 2006 Jetta DSG, 2003 ALH Wagon
Just in case any of you need one, there is a new Dyno shop in Rochester NY. They have a brand new Mustang four wheel drive unit. My friend and I have been there, it is a very nice machine.
The people that own and run the shop are very nice and seem to have a clue about what they are doing.
We ran a BMW 325is Turbo on it with good results.

The company is called STM, located at 2779 West Henrietta Rd.
Phone is 1-585-730-4314.

If we had enough interest, I would think we could get a dyno day going with Jeff......

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
Bring it on! mid west and Toronto folks are welcome too ;-)

I'm planning on the Fall dyno day at dentsport in Boston (date tbd), but this would be good too.

Do they have a optical rpm pickup. I have a diesel rpm pickup if needed.

Jeff

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d XDrive, 2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5speed Platinum Grey (sold), 2010 Jetta 6speed (bought back)
Sweet, I'm in too. I live half hour west of Rochester. That, and I'm really interested in a chip-tune. A dyno-day, a local drive and RC? Sounds like a good time!

-nate

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d XDrive, 2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5speed Platinum Grey (sold), 2010 Jetta 6speed (bought back)
Hey Jeff - tried to PM you but couldn't. Will you be at TDIFest this year? I'd like a chip-tune.

[sorry for the hi-jack. :) ]

-nate

87homebuilttdi

Veteran Member
TDI
RPM Pickup

I talked to STM today and they said that they have several ways to pick up RPM.
They can plug into the OBD2 port, use the optical pick up, or calibrate the graph to match the vehicles tach, while in one particular gear. The last way is how they did the 1987 BMW for us.
They are more than happy to give us the dyno for a day long event, all we have to do is pre-arrange it.

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta tdi pd-1989 Jetta IDI-1994 F-250 IDI Turbo
N8ronJ- Jeff will be at TDI Fest. I am going to an appoitment at his house this Wednesday and will confirm. If you want chipped at the fest, get up early and be first on the list or you will wait all day. Jeff does not rush on ANY car, he takes his time and gets it done right. He could so 30 cars in a day or 5 depending on how much time it requires. He is one of the few that quality is paramount over quantity.

87homebuilttdi

Veteran Member
TDI
How many people want to attend a dyno day with Rocket Chip in Rochester NY.?
When?
What is the proper procedure for setting this up?
Dave, thanks for the clarification regarding the OBD2 port, that makes it very easy.
Jeff, is this technique cool with you?

vdubdiesel

TDI
2011 JSW, 2003 Golf TDI (gone not forgotten)
I'm interested... I don't know proper procedure but I would start with a conversation with Jeff.
How many signed up does he need to make the trip?
What dates does he have available?
Sign up could start now, and then a date Jeff is available set, and hopefully everyone can make it work.
I guess we need a dyno signup to. We need to know how many cars they can do, and prices.

Sign-up for Rochester Rocketchip tuning:
1.vdubdiesel

Dyno Sign-up:
1. i'd like to see Orion2.0 here as i've followed his build threads
2. i'd to see Spulen81's 4runnerTDI on the dyno its 4x4 to bad it's SOLD

87homebuilttdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Anybody want a tune and dyno pull?

I am going to contact Jeff and find out when he wants to show up.

I need to know who is interested in a tune and or dyno pull.....
Let's get a list started, just respond to this post.

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
I am interested in a tune. Maybe a dyno pull.
Subscribing to the thread...

-nate

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
If you guys can organize this before Aug 1, I am in Rochester now on business. Here for 3 weeks. I think it would be fun to dyno my car, if it is not too expensive, I would like to dyno both my different tunes, and see a car with my setup with one of Jeff's tunes to see what the numbers are. If I had some extra cash laying about, I would see how his tune would work on my car...:p

BTW- from my house in Kansas City to here (Airport in Rochester) is 1073 miles, done in 16 hours with one stop for breakfast, ONE for fuel, one for dinner. Some more useless info-had my car washed and hand waxed on Henryetta Rd. today and the place has lots of flirty hot chicks working there ;)

jsrmonster

TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up

87homebuilttdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Dyno and RC tune. Ready to commit?

Jeff has responded and it appears that Sept. 19 is a good date for him.

I will check with STM Dyno in Rochester, and see if it's good with them.
If so, we will start the list!

Cam

jsrmonster

TDI
87homebuilttdi said:
Jeff has responded and it appears that Sept. 19 is a good date for him.

I will check with STM Dyno in Rochester, and see if it's good with them.
If so, we will start the list!

Cam
I'm planning to be in Ohio on sept 19, Oct is open.
Jeff

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
I've been following a buffalo, rochester, toronto gtg thread in the Eastern USA section and have told the posters there about his. Hopefully it will help generate more interest.
October would be great - far out enough to ink it in on the calendar (and save up some $ for chipping) What's the cost, btw? I'm thinking RC2 or RC3 though I don't know the difference.

-n8

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
So... is this a dead end? If it could be a go maybe a thread should be started in the Eastern USA section in order to generate more local interest.

-n8

87homebuilttdi

Veteran Member
TDI
The idea is not dead, but the response is!
We need at least 6 people, I would think, as the dyno for a day is not cheap. I was told it would be around 1000.00. That comes to 166.00 per person, not including Jeff's time.
I would guess that the total per person could be close to 450.00, but not exactly sure. Jeff would have to tell us....
In my opinion, that's cheap, but I realize others may not share my thoughts....
So, if anybody wants to help make this happen, have at it. I can set it up.
Cam