Speedo, odometer, and mileage errors

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, DSG, Pkg 0, White.
After reading about the speedo error here I decided to check my car using a Garmin GPS. The speedo is off by 7 kph., but it looks like my odo gains about 1 k. per 100k., with the mileage having the same error. Does anyone else have this? Am I being too picky (anal?)
Thanks

DZLPWR

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, Gray
My car is exatly 7 kph out too and is i also gain 1 km per 100. I asked the dealer about it and they talked to vw and they said this was acceptable. I guess its not to bad. The odometer is alright with me. And the speedo keeps you from getting those nasty little speeding tickets.

hagar

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 white Jetta 5sp & 2006 Mercedes CDI
I have about the same result. Measured with a GPS, indicated 75mph is about 72 real. Indicated 100 miles travelled on odometer is about 102 real, so I gain another 1mpg or so.:D

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Those offsets are the same as both my A4 and B4. It's the normal, acceptable error.

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, DSG, Pkg 0, White.
Thanks guys, it's good to know I wasn't imagining it. I don't mind the speedo error, I just wish the tripmeter and mileage were accurate. That would make mpg calculations more precise.

tdisedanman

Veteran Member
TDI
Ex 2005 Passat, TDI and ex 2005.5 Jetta TDI
I just had my car in the shop and mentioned my displeasure with the MFI being off 6-8 MPG. I told them my wifes TDI passat 2005 was consistenly off by 2-3 MPG and wondered what was wrong with the Jettas MFI. They told me there were two different manufacturers for the console but one software designer. I though maybe they would finally figure out what we have all be saying. But, alas, i got the same "working as designed" statement. I think VW knows there is a problem but since it does not affect the operation of the vehicle, will not admit it.It is said that it is designed to be off by about 20%. I guess the designer was no math wiz. I think we will be hung out to dry on this issue. Since everyone with GPS says the MPH is low by 3 and the odometer is ok, things are not so bleak. But, it would be nicer to have a real clue as to our MPG.

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
tdisedanman said:
I just had my car in the shop and mentioned my displeasure with the MFI being off 6-8 MPG. I told them my wifes TDI passat 2005 was consistenly off by 2-3 MPG and wondered what was wrong with the Jettas MFI. They told me there were two different manufacturers for the console but one software designer. I though maybe they would finally figure out what we have all be saying. But, alas, i got the same "working as designed" statement. I think VW knows there is a problem but since it does not affect the operation of the vehicle, will not admit it.It is said that it is designed to be off by about 20%. I guess the designer was no math wiz. I think we will be hung out to dry on this issue. Since everyone with GPS says the MPH is low by 3 and the odometer is ok, things are not so bleak. But, it would be nicer to have a real clue as to our MPG.
MFI/MPG is off by 13% or 14% as reported on these forums. It can be re-programmed with a VAG-COM, or a competent Dealer.

Speedometers are roughly 75 indicated, and 72 actual, and Odometers (mine) are right on.

tdisedanman

Veteran Member
TDI
Ex 2005 Passat, TDI and ex 2005.5 Jetta TDI
Tim Birney said:
MFI/MPG is off by 13% or 14% as reported on these forums. It can be re-programmed with a VAG-COM, or a competent Dealer.

Speedometers are roughly 75 indicated, and 72 actual, and Odometers (mine) are right on.
My dealer refused to adjust this as VW states the MFI is working as designed. TDI Never Die was nice enough to meet with me and attempted to fix this. He was able to connect and read the engine settings bit when he switched to # 17, received a response that says, " no response from controller." any ideas why?