Memory problem

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V#2 "Flash", 2000 Jetta GL, B4V#1 "PaTuDI" (2008-2018 RIP)
Not the car, mine :p

Just brought the new wagon home over Labor Day. Every so often, turn the key, all the lights come on, GP light goes out, turn rest of the way to start and nothing. Turn key to off, try again and it fires right up. Occasionally when it happens I hear a buzzing from the relay/fuse panel area.

I seem to remember my first B4V doing the same thing some years ago. . . But don't remember if it was the ignition switch or a relay failing or something else.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
ah yes, its a relay issue if i remember right.
if you turn these cars off, you have to cycle the ignition all the way to start it again, it prevents starter damage.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
It could be the alarm module. Easy to check at the starter wire, if the big red/black wire at the starter isn't getting 12v when you turn the key the first time, that's probably it. Easy to fix by just connecting the two big wires on it together.

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V#2 "Flash", 2000 Jetta GL, B4V#1 "PaTuDI" (2008-2018 RIP)
I'm now noticing that while the engine is cranking the GP light comes back on for maybe half a second.

Ideas?