VWAG launches trade-in incentive for older diesels; European SW update for Euro 5/6

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2017/08/20170805-vwag.html

Embracing the outcome of the German National Diesel Forum earlier this week, the Volkswagen Group announced that it will offer a trade-in incentive for Euro 1 - Euro 4 diesel models which will apply across all brands in the Group. In addition, the software update for Euro 5 and some Euro 6 diesel vehicles will be available throughout Europe and not just in Germany.
So, that's interesting - Dieselgate fallout is now hitting Euro 1 through 4 models. That includes standards that took effect for what we'd call model year 1993 (although the Mk2 ECOdiesels/Umweltdiesels adopted them early), all the way through the standards that the last PDs with DPF had to meet. (The Euro 5 and 6 engines are CRs.)

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
Actually that is probably a very effective way of reducing the problem. VW won't go broke, after all what is the price before the knock off 10,000? People will fall for that most common of car dealer scams and VW could update and resell the trade-ins in addition. Much cheaper than the North American solution.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
It's if the old car is scrapped at the same time, so no, they're not updating them.

Second Turbo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Wagon, 373K, 2nd 01M
Any speculation on whether such a deal might be extended to the US?

Our ALH wagon, at 373,000+ miles, is already the lowest $TCO/mi vehicle I ever bought. If I could buy a new hybrid, for what amounts to factory cost, I might be tempted.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
I'm going to guess no - this was part of a movement to save diesel in the European market, by scrapping old diesels.

The old VW diesels are a drop in the bucket in terms of notable NOx emissions in the US market, and VW's already written off diesel as a lost cause in the US market.

JettaJedi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GL 5 spd, 2003 Jetta TDI GL 4dr 5 spd, 2017 Golf TSI Wolfsburg Edition

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Yes, but in Europe, that car might be worth, what, €1000 on the open market?

Selling a 15 year old Golf Variant there is like selling a 15 year old Camry here.

Also, the incentive is based on what you buy to replace it, not based on what the vehicle is. So, if you replace it with an up!, they give you €2000. If you replace it with a Touareg, they give you €10,000.