What's the Chance of Seeing 2019 TDIs in a Year?

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
I'm most likely to do my BB at the latest possible time, right around the time that the 2019's are coming out. So what's the chance of VW putting out a 2019 TDI 12 or 13 months from now?

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
I'd say about zero. TDIs may come back, but VW and Audi have both said otherwise, so I don't expect it will be any time soon (if ever).

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
What is the chance of gas price headed north of $4 per gallon?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Pretty good if you go to Europe, Mexico, or just about anywhere other than N. America.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
Hmmm, "Mexico but not North America... "

I'd like to think the sales numbers are indicating a stronger than expected demand for TDIs in the US, which certainly surprised many of us (not so much the popularity, which we all knew was there, but the low price elasticity of the cars). So maybe VW will determine they can equip them properly with the necessary emissions controls, and charge the appropriate price, and consumers will continue to buy them.

Then again, perhaps sales are strong because the supply is known to be limited, and because of the outstanding warranty.

Even though VW says they're done here, I hate to see them walk away from a market they currently control, almost without opposition.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My bad. :eek: Once the great wall is built, maybe the cartographers will redesignate Mexico as N. Central America.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think it's extremely unlikely we'll see new tdi's in the US or Canada for at least several years.

Dr Chill

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 A8L TDI
The only new VAG TDI products we'll see here next year are the leftover 2015 and 16 3.0 TDI's that will probably go on sale next summer.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Many will no doubt recall that VW backed out of the diesel market before, and that this
on-again / off-again policy seems to be something they do, as in stopping Passat wagons, then starting again, now they're gone again. I wouldn't be comfortable making any predictions.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Global diesel demand will continue to be strong because of the economics of 40-50 mpgs. What we don't get here is the world has millions of people who are poor and need anything that will make their life better. See how far a E car gets in Africa where its hard enough just to get electricity for their homes.

VW needs diesels here ,because it is their only product that set them apart from the rest of the car producers here. It will be a tough go to get back the mojo of pre diesel gate however.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
OK gentlemen, thank you for all of your responses. It's kinda what I was expecting to hear, just wasn't entirely sure.

At this point, I think that next year I'll be considering a TSI or a CPO TDI, or possibly a CPO 328d or 328i. I'm going to be getting back around $22k in the BB, and I don't want to spend more than that, maybe less.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
take a look at the GSW tsi 4Mo, lot of bang for the buck, its a sleeper/stripped Golf R wagon, stage 1 tune is pushing stock GTI HP. should be able to find an S for around 22K.

edge130

Veteran Member
TDI
Wife's 2009 Jetta TDI sedan (2009 - 2017)
I heard Toyota has made a statement about going to all electric by a certain year.
I think more companies will be making the shift towards electric soon.
I read in certain European cities, Diesel engines are forbidden, or will be soon.
As the years go by, stricter emissions make it highly unlikely for companies to comply and be cost effective.

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
What's the Chance of Seeing 2019 TDIs in a Year?

Maybe I read the title incorrectly but I'm sure there will still be a huge number of TDI's on the road in a year. Whether one person can actually spot over 2000 in a single year might be a tough one though. I have a MB BlueTec and can go weeks without seeing another one. :)

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
I would say about the same chance as a doughnut at a weight watcher's convention . But then I'm one of the ones who said that there would never be a satisfactory fix for Generation 1 tdis. Of course satisfactory has yet to be proven?

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
If you still want a new diesel, there's the Chevy Cruze and the Equinox diesel is suppose to be out soon.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
If VAG is going to bring back any Diesels, I believe it'll be Audi w/the SQ7.. but even that is looking highly unlikely, however there have been a few SQ7's spotted in the states recently for mule/testing so here's hoping.

Last edited: