Eligible owner restitution for totaled car

JayE

TDI
2014 Passat
Many people have posted on here asking questions or informing others of their experience with the claims process after their vehicle was totaled. Some posts stated they are getting close and were told they will receive a new offer within a week. After that, they never post again or answer questions. I hope this is because they were successful in getting their restitution payment and have moved on in life, but it does little to help the rest of us who still have many questions and are handcuffed by this process as we wait.

Has anyone had success in getting paid for the eligible owner restitution payment for their totaled vehicle through the VW claims process? Or is everyone being told the same thing, i.e. you are on a mailing list and must wait for VW to figure this thing out. If anyone has had success, what was the wait time from when you submitted the paper claim? There probably are not many people in this situation, so I feel like I am being blown off throughout this whole process. It took 2 1/2 months to get my buy back approval, which of course is no longer an option, and I am curious to find out how long I will have to wait for the new process for totaled vehicles.

---
My background situation: I submitted my original claim in early November 2016 for a buyback. In late November 2016, I hit an American Black Bear that ran across the road at night while I was driving 55 MPH+. The car was determined to be a total loss. After many calls to the claims center over a 6 week period, I received bad advice on what I needed to do. In January, I received my final approval for buy back but I no longer owned the vehicle (it was transferred to the insurance company).

After many uneventful calls to the call center, I read on this message board that I needed to do a paper claim. I received the paper claim from a law firm and sent it off two weeks ago via fax. But despite many follow-on calls, no one can verify if they received my new claim that will take the place of my approved buy back claim.

- The law firm will not check up on this until next week, which will give VW claims almost 3 weeks just to say they have received my new paper claim.
- I have been told on 4 occasions that I have been added to a mailing list for owners who fall under my situation; each time they state I wasn't on the mailing list yet.
- This week they said they escalated my claim to a new department, and I should receive a phone call or email "eventually". That doesn't sound too promising.

JayE

TDI
2014 Passat
Done

Alright. I finally settled everything and received the eligible owner restitution for my totaled VW Passat. Glad it's finally over and I can put this issue to rest while getting on with my life. Good luck to all of you in the same situation. You should get resolution soon.

Pdizuzio

TDI
2012 Jetta
That's great! I still haven't gotten anywhere. May I ask what changed to get the process moving?

patter98

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL, 2015 Touareg TDI Lux
I am glad to hear someone was able to get through the process. I am stalled out again, i felt like there was some momentum a couple weeks ago as I got a notice via email they needed a document from my insurance company saying it was transferred to them. This was the first communication from VW I had since December which was regarding the buyback not the totaled restitution. So I submitted what I had from insurance company via Fax the same day but it was rejected 4 days later saying "incorrect document" so I called up the insurance company and spent 45 min on the phone getting a letter that covered exactly what was needed per the paper packet. I sent that back in via fax and haven't heard anything since and that was on 2/20. I called earlier this week and they said the document shows received and uploaded on 2/21 awaiting review.

Back to waiting. Would be interested to hear how JayE's transaction was finalized, was a formal offer available online or sent a different way? Did you have to go notarize it like the other offers? Then how was money actually transferred? I still see my buyback offer online from December but they are communicating with me via email using the same Claim # so nothing has changed online for me at all in the portal.

Justin

LeahPharmD

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2004 Jetta TDI Wagon (Bio-diesel), 2012 Golf TDI (SOLD BACK)
Phew! I am glad you were able to do this! I am sitting on a "totaled" car right now because I was afraid "selling" the car to the insurance company would disqualify me.

VW hasn't figured out what to do with "my type" yet

Jagerauto

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta Tdi
Lets bring this thread back, I'm still waiting. Totaled car in October, the eventually got me an offer letter for the buyback.. Seems after calling 9-10 times they never got it switched to a totaled vehicle, even though it was all over the notes on my claim. About a month ago my offer letter was gone, with the screen just showing "documents approved". Each week i contact them and get a different response. This week I'm told I will get an offer letter in the mail, not online. Was told this is how it has to be done for the totaled vehicles.

I was also told restitution that was close to $3700 would be slightly more due to the vehicle being totaled. Who knows. Just want this to be over with.

I did however receive my former owner restitution for a touareg 3.0 I owned.

ahut2000

TDI
2016 Golf Sportwagen TSI - Jetta TDI totaled
I totaled mine in October and was just told today that my check should be mailing out this week.

Lets bring this thread back, I'm still waiting. Totaled car in October, the eventually got me an offer letter for the buyback.. Seems after calling 9-10 times they never got it switched to a totaled vehicle, even though it was all over the notes on my claim. About a month ago my offer letter was gone, with the screen just showing "documents approved". Each week i contact them and get a different response. This week I'm told I will get an offer letter in the mail, not online. Was told this is how it has to be done for the totaled vehicles.

I was also told restitution that was close to $3700 would be slightly more due to the vehicle being totaled. Who knows. Just want this to be over with.

I did however receive my former owner restitution for a touareg 3.0 I owned.

Jagerauto

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta Tdi
I totaled mine in October and was just told today that my check should be mailing out this week.

Awesome good to hear, keep us updated please! Plan on calling them next week as well. Going to do the weekly call hoping it gets me somewhere.

Did they have to mail you the offer letter?

ahut2000

TDI
Awesome good to hear, keep us updated please! Plan on calling them next week as well. Going to do the weekly call hoping it gets me somewhere.

I originally filed to turn in the vehicle in summer 2016. It got destroyed by a tree in October, and I changed the claim to totaled/restitution. I had already had the original offer letter notarized and sent in and then I had to re-send the paperwork and get a letter from my insurance company showing that they owned the vehicle and had totaled it out.

I talked to the VW claim counsel lawyer people because the folks on the phone are not helpful!

ahut2000

TDI

\
I received my check. I requested an EFT but got a check in the mail. VW gave me no information and no tracking number and when I contacted them they told me nothing had been mailed out.