96 Passat wheel arch

logique

TDI
'96 Passat TDI / '03 Jetta TDI Wagon
I've got a 1996 Passat sedan. I want to replace the rear wheel arches on both sides because they are rusted out. I found a source at this location:

https://raybuck.com/product/1990-1997-volkswagen-passat-wagon-rear-wheel-arch-driver-side/

However, it says it's for a wagon. When I search for 95-37-58-3 or 96 Passat wheel arch, I only get references for wagons, no sedans. It seems to me that in that area of the quarter panel, there is no difference between the wagon and the sedan. Am I wrong? Will this fit on the sedan?

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
a picture on that web site would be nice...to see how large an area this fits...meaning does it go into the area of the unibody that is unique to the wagon..

realistically...with these cars...they are not show cars or collectable...you probably could just have any decent body shop cut out the bad area and "bondo/fiberglass" in a wheel arch...unless it's extensive rust...

pics worth a thousand words...

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
The picture shown on raybuck.com is for 1990-94 cars, the quarter panel (and wheel opening) for 1995-97 is different. It's close but not the same, I would ask for clarification from the seller about this before I committed to purchase.

If they insist that this is for 95-97 I would send them a photo of that model to prove them wrong.

Steve

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
See that lip at the top - that's the lower sill for the rear window. A sedan would have a folded edge to curl over to the trunk opening.

That said, if this were the only option, the arch section would likely fit, and I would trim it to match the sedan. As a $50 guess, I would try it - the wheel opening is likely the same.

logique

TDI
All the websites for that part number (95-37-58-3) say the same thing 1990-1997 wagon.
I was thinking of cutting off the top part and just keep the arch anyway. From the picture, it doesn't look like the top lip actually reaches the window. I thought it stopped near the middle and would tuck under the existing cut out quarter panel to be welded on. The other part (95-37-58-4) for the passenger side does not have the opening for the fuel cap. So I thought it would reach just under the fuel cap.

Last edited:

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
A good body man can modify anything...

what we really want to see is some pics of your rust problem...how extensive it is...it's possible that you don't need to go this far...but then again it's possible that it's so bad that modifying a 90-94 panel is not a bad option...

logique

TDI
I was going to do the work myself but I'm certainly not an experienced body man. I just did my jetta's rocker panels (cut and weld), and the result is not too bad.
The rust is mostly around the arch area and large chunks of it can easily be removed using only my fingers. Since I'm not sure how successful I can be at forming a new arch with sheet metal, I thought this would be easier.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
See that lip at the top - that's the lower sill for the rear window. A sedan would have a folded edge to curl over to the trunk opening.

That said, if this were the only option, the arch section would likely fit, and I would trim it to match the sedan. As a $50 guess, I would try it - the wheel opening is likely the same.
That crease is not the window lip, it's the crease 4" below the beltline on a B3/B3V.

As I said, this panel is not for 95-97. All you need to look at is 1) the crease and 2) the lack of a second style line in the wheel opening.

This is for 90-94 cars, not 95-97.

Steve

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Arch itself can be used I think. What I did with mine is, I purchased a worn out car with good body for peanuts, and cut out the panel sections I needed to repair mine.

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Also keep in mind that theses aftermarket panels are usually made of thinner metal then original.

logique

TDI
That crease is not the window lip, it's the crease 4" below the beltline on a B3/B3V.

As I said, this panel is not for 95-97. All you need to look at is 1) the crease and 2) the lack of a second style line in the wheel opening.

This is for 90-94 cars, not 95-97.

Steve

I see what you mean now. I looked at pictures of B3s and it's not the same. I don't care about the top lip, but the arch is different too without that extra flat surface that the B4 has. If I do both sides, it could work but it won't look original and it will be different than the front arches.
I could also get the part and modify the arch to look like the B4 as long as the opening is the same size.
Around here, there's not too many B4s to cannibalize from. Lots of Jettas though.
Plan B was to use something like Flex Edge ( http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/flex-edge-metal-0475787p.html ) to form the contour of the arch if the rust doesn't go too far up.

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
in the end...whatever is a workable solution to keep a good car on the road....

Mine has a crunched hood and front end has become kinda fugly and it's getting long in the tooth...interior is kinda worn...

but I'm in the middle of wasting a lot of time and $ rebuilding the front suspension/steering/axles cause over all it's still a solid utility vehicle with few peers...

for me it's the MPG/towing capability of a diesel/cargo capacity of a large wagon with fold flat seats/roof rack with 4 cross bars/would like to add winch up front....that makes me keep this fugly thing on the road...lol

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I've emailed Raybuck about the application of the panel they show on their website. We'll see what they say.

As for repairing or overhauling the front suspension, in my experience this is one of the least expensive suspensions to overhaul. A couple inexpensive bushings, new struts and bearings, maybe springs and a front alignment and you're done. It doesn't get much easier (or less costly) than this.

The value for the dollar invested is very high here even though it's a rather rudimentary suspension system, which is fine with me. If you really want complicated get yourself a B5/B5.5 and have at the front suspension. The parts alone to overhaul that will run you a couple hundred dollars and that isn't including the struts or mounts / bearings.

There isn't a car out there that doesn't require some maintenance, some more than others. I'd rather put my time and money into my Mk3/B3V TDI cars rather than drive something that I can't possibly fix and know nothing about. I have a lot more faith in the work I've done versus what they're selling now as new.

Steve

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
I've emailed Raybuck about the application of the panel they show on their website. We'll see what they say.

As for repairing or overhauling the front suspension, in my experience this is one of the least expensive suspensions to overhaul. A couple inexpensive bushings, new struts and bearings, maybe springs and a front alignment and you're done. It doesn't get much easier (or less costly) than this.

The value for the dollar invested is very high here even though it's a rather rudimentary suspension system, which is fine with me. If you really want complicated get yourself a B5/B5.5 and have at the front suspension. The parts alone to overhaul that will run you a couple hundred dollars and that isn't including the struts or mounts / bearings.

There isn't a car out there that doesn't require some maintenance, some more than others. I'd rather put my time and money into my Mk3/B3V TDI cars rather than drive something that I can't possibly fix and know nothing about. I have a lot more faith in the work I've done versus what they're selling now as new.

Steve
well maybe not "lots" of $...but lots of time wasted...I find something that needs replacement while working on something related...so I order that part...it comes in and I start to replace it and find something else "related" that wasn't noticed as bad until I started R&R on the previous part...

this time it was the axial strut bearing that fell apart when I was R&Ring the strut boot/bumper...had no way of knowing it was bad until it fell apart when removing the coil spring...

just like didn't notice wheel hub until after beginning the wheel bearing replacement, so ordered new hubs...then noticed CV boot so ordered axles...then saw the torn ball join and tie rod boots...then noticed steering rack boots...then strut boots...then strut axial bearing...basically replacing just about everything at once but seems that I'm ordering parts incrementally as I discover each new worn item as I incrementally disassemble stuff...each disassembly reveals another worn out item .... I had replaced all this stuff pretty much at the same time when I bought the car 60K ago...so I kinda assumed everything else was "ok" when I started with just the wheel bearing...

yeah, total sum of all the parts is not that much...even less so since some are warranty exchange at autozone...but had I known all these parts were worn out to start with I coulda ordered them all at once and done the whole thing in a day...it's been on jack stands 2 weeks now...piece at a time...sux waiting a few days for a part, only to find when you begin the R&R some other worn part reveals itself :(

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
well maybe not "lots" of $...but lots of time wasted...I find something that needs replacement while working on something related...so I order that part...it comes in and I start to replace it and find something else "related" that wasn't noticed as bad until I started R&R on the previous part...

this time it was the axial strut bearing that fell apart when I was R&Ring the strut boot/bumper...had no way of knowing it was bad until it fell apart when removing the coil spring...

just like didn't notice wheel hub until after beginning the wheel bearing replacement, so ordered new hubs...then noticed CV boot so ordered axles...then saw the torn ball join and tie rod boots...then noticed steering rack boots...then strut boots...then strut axial bearing...basically replacing just about everything at once but seems that I'm ordering parts incrementally as I discover each new worn item as I incrementally disassemble stuff...each disassembly reveals another worn out item .... I had replaced all this stuff pretty much at the same time when I bought the car 60K ago...so I kinda assumed everything else was "ok" when I started with just the wheel bearing...

yeah, total sum of all the parts is not that much...even less so since some are warranty exchange at autozone...but had I known all these parts were worn out to start with I coulda ordered them all at once and done the whole thing in a day...it's been on jack stands 2 weeks now...piece at a time...sux waiting a few days for a part, only to find when you begin the R&R some other worn part reveals itself :(
That's why when I go in to do one repair I generally just do a thorough overhaul and that way I minimize my labor investment. All the parts for this front end are inexpensive, so unless I replaced it before and recently, which is unlikely, I just do it all and have it done.

60k miles is a good decent run for a lot of the front wear components. I inspect all that every time I change the oil just so I know what to start ordering for the next go round. I typically have some of it on the shelf already since I order from different places but regardless of miles it all still breaks down if it's rubber or synthetic rubber. My B3V hit the road 26k miles ago with a fully overhauled front and rear suspension. I'm at an oil change now so I'll be doing my inspection and starting my list of parts to purchase.

I wouldn't expect a wheel bearing to go that fast if the alignment is maintained every year but it can happen. I keep several of those around because I don't want to have to special order a wheel bearing by itself at the last minute. I think I actually have four on hand at the moment. I just like having parts of all sorts on the shelf for this, it makes me more comfortable and since the Mk3 Jetta tdi takes a lot of the same it just makes sense.

So I got a response from Raybuck about the repair panel. Quote from the email says:

"Steve,
Thanks for pointing this out. Yes, you are correct that this panel will only work on the 1990-1994 model. We are having this information corrected now. Unfortunately we do not have an arch for the 95-97 model yet.

Thanks,

Steve"

Steve

Last edited:

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
60K? ok...I kinda felt I shoulda got more miles outta it...

but ur right, the parts ain't that much if you shop around...but guess I'll be set for another 60K...doing the T belt too since it's due...

sounds like custom fab time on the wheel arch...

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I found this here which looks a bit more like the B4 even if the years are a little off:

https://www.tarostrade.com/rear-wheel-arch-for-vw-passat-1993-1996-right

That's the correct one, the years are wrong because outside of the US the B4 Passat actually came about a year earlier and vanished a year earlier as well. EU B4 production would have been from around 10/93-7/96 whereas in the US we got the B4 from 10/94-7/97.

This is the panel you need, if you can justify getting it from outside the US and probably doing a currency conversion to pay for it.

Steve

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Eu is 93-96, but the wagon was available until 97. Mine was made 25/06/1996 and was one of the last sedans (Pacific series).

logique

TDI
That's the correct one, the years are wrong because outside of the US the B4 Passat actually came about a year earlier and vanished a year earlier as well. EU B4 production would have been from around 10/93-7/96 whereas in the US we got the B4 from 10/94-7/97.

This is the panel you need, if you can justify getting it from outside the US and probably doing a currency conversion to pay for it.

Steve
Yes I'm going to order it.
I was already going to do a currency conversion when buying from the US. Total for parts (right and left) and shipping at tarostrade is 131.04 euro ($202 Canadian). It comes up to about the same amount as the other (B3) American parts for me. It might take a bit more time to get it though.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Yes I'm going to order it.
I was already going to do a currency conversion when buying from the US. Total for parts (right and left) and shipping at tarostrade is 131.04 euro ($202 Canadian). It comes up to about the same amount as the other (B3) American parts for me. It might take a bit more time to get it though.
Good to hear, at least you were able to find the right stuff.

It won't be long before I think most of these repair parts might be gone although with the popularity of the B3/B4 in Eastern Europe it might be a while yet.

Steve

logique

TDI
Good to hear, at least you were able to find the right stuff.

It won't be long before I think most of these repair parts might be gone although with the popularity of the B3/B4 in Eastern Europe it might be a while yet.

Steve

And thank you for spotting out the differences between the B3 and B4. This way, there shouldn't be any surprises when it's time to do the repair.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
And thank you for spotting out the differences between the B3 and B4. This way, there shouldn't be any surprises when it's time to do the repair.
I have a gift for visual recognition.

Just glad you didn't get them bought and then figure out they weren't right. The seller has already changed the listing to reflect the fact that they don't work on 95-97 Passat.

Will be interested in seeing your progress on this!

Steve

Last edited:

logique

TDI
I have a gift for visual recognition.

Just glad you didn't get them bought and then figure out they weren't right. The seller has already changed the listing to reflect the fact that they don't work on 95-97 Passat.

Will be interested in seeing your progress on this!

Steve

I'll try to post back in a few weeks with before and after pictures.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Looks good from here! Where did you end up getting the arch? Did it fit well?

-Todd