VW in for gen 1 fix but list of other stuff it needs....thoughts?

TDI
Jetta
I brought my car in for the gen 1 fix. They called saying it's taking longer than thought. They will need the car through Monday. However, I told them I need a new inspection so they looked over the car and got back to me. Here is the list.

[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Both front coil springs broken, replace 2 springs with new mounts, bearings, and sway bar links $1353.79[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Both rear coil springs are broken, replace both rear springs $437.85[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Center exhaust band clamp rusted thru, replace clamp $89.72[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] [/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Other items needed, but do not fail for state inspection:[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] [/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Dual Mass flywheel is noisy and should be replaced $2,012.24[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Left front axle shaft $488.87[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Oil pan is cracked and leaking oil, replace oil pan, oil, and filter $723.10

Ok so what do I really need done? Also, these prices seem outrageous to me.

[/FONT]

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Prices are kind of laughable. But the repairs they've listed are realistic. I'd take care of the oil pan, springs, exhaust clamp now. And replace the axle and DMF soon, but not immediately.

Where are you in Maine? I'd get the car back, find a guru near you, and have him do the work.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Herm Pasker is in Richmond ME but I'm not sure if he wants to do springs on a later TDI. You could ask. Otherwise You'd be better off coming down to Lowell MA and see Keith Harley at KMH Motors. We have front and rear springs for about $215 total, but labor will probably cost you $400-600, plus an alignment. Still significantly cheaper.

DMF isn't covered as part of the fix.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
How about the buyback??:rolleyes: it runs..right?

TDI
Jetta
Too late now. Argh! They already started fix.

Indigoblue-do you work at KMH motors. I might be worth driving down to get this stuff done. Do you think he could do the coils and oil pan in one day?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I don't work there. But I bet Keith could get it done in a day. Give him a call. He's on the trusted mechanics list.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I brought my car in for the gen 1 fix. They called saying it's taking longer than thought. They will need the car through Monday. However, I told them I need a new inspection so they looked over the car and got back to me. Here is the list.
how many miles are on this car? Are you sure you want to keep it.It sounds like you really abused the poor thing. Man how can so much stuff be so busted up? Busted up drivetrain is not covered by an emission warranty. Why would it be?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
You did not say what year car this is.

if it is a 2009, you might want to replace the oil pump shaft while the pan is down.

TDI
Jetta
It's a 2010 VW Jetta with 97k on it. I hit a deer which caused a dent in the drivers side right where the front wheel is. I'm wondering if this caused the coil spring to break. Would this cause strain in the other coil springs if one is broken? I'm considering filing a claim with my insurance if so. I'm sure the oil pan is leaking because the coil springs causes some extra slack and I must have bottomed out?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Broken springs are very common on this generation TDI. I suspect it's Maine roads and Maine winters that did yours in.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
While I had issues with my rear coils snapping the first loop on my 2010, didn't have any issues with the fronts, but they are known to be a weak link.

A dealer won't throw a new boot on a leaking axle, an independent shop will. If you doing springs all around, it might be worth the time to do shocks and struts as well.

As for the DMF get a second opinion, as all DMF make noise its just how bad is the noise and how bad is the slack.

You taking it to Thompson? That's where I bought my trusty old 2010, best drive back from a dealer I ever had, 130 miles of highway bliss, even had lunch at the Last Unicorn before it got all hipster. Still miss that car, yet its only been just over 2 months.

Last edited: