Requesting "Previous Registration"?

emeraldzippy

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta MK5-DSG-119K-Malone 1.5 Past: 1997 Passat, 2012 Jetta wagon, 1987 Ford Ranger diesel, 1982 Chevette diesel
Finally got some green check marks, but they're requesting a couple extra docs.

Saw other posts of vw requesting "Proof of Vehicle Acquisition" which turned out to be a bill of sale, right? Some still had theirs, others not...seemed to not hold up too many folks...hopefully.

But the other one I couldn't find in the forum; "Previous Registration". Has anyone been requested to provide this? DO they mean just an old expired registration? Don't keep those laying around...

tjsadler

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6m
I believe that you are in California. If so you can go to the DMV website, register for an account, and pay about $2 to get a vehicle registration history report.

EDIT: Here's the link but you'll have to create an account first: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/online/vrr
The one you pull online isn't a "certified" copy but I doubt that the claims goons will be able to tell that one way or another. If they do need the certified one then you'll have to spend the day at the DMV where "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy". Oh wait, that was Mos Eisley but the DMV is a close second.

Last edited:

emeraldzippy

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta MK5-DSG-119K-Malone 1.5 Past: 1997 Passat, 2012 Jetta wagon, 1987 Ford Ranger diesel, 1982 Chevette diesel
Ha! I JUST registered on the dmv site to do exactly that, after learning that our local third party registrar cannot. Yeah, to book an appt to save the grueling 2-3hr visit is still a couple weeks out for availability.

I'm assuming you've done exactly this? Anyone else?

And per the Proof of Acquisition? Any newfound tips there? Official? Handwritten?

Thanks tjsadler, I know you were dealing with a salvage title as well, and that it worked out. Cheers.

Edit: Just realized since my DL was issued in Alaska, I can't do the online request; off to the slog I go :(

Last edited:

tjsadler

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6m
I went online and got mine just in case but they never requested it. I'm the original owner so maybe that was the difference but I'm not sure. Good luck with the DMV. I hate going there!

Screenial

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I received the "previous registration" demand as well, the link won't let you get that online, and I spent a lovely hour at the DMV for them to tell me the only way to get that record is to fill out a INF 70R and send the request in the mail. Oh, and of course there is a $20 fee. Has anyone got around this BS? Why are they asking for this? I bought this car new, why is this needed??? :mad:

emeraldzippy

Veteran Member
TDI
That doesn't sound right. I'm in CA too, and it cost $5 plus the hour waiting, got it printed then and there in Pasadena. Maybe try a bigger DMV.

Can't you can print the online one at home, and then scan/upload? Different because it doesn't have DMV letterhead, but still official.

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 6 speed, 2012 Passat DSG
A bunch of people have gotten this request. Im going to try and solve it via snail mail, as that document no longer exists and the car was sold into a dealer network by the first owner, and shipped to my location, then purchased by me. I don't even really know where it was registered prior, but I believe NY state.

Same problem, Ill post how it turns out for me since im not planning to drive 200 miles to NY state and stand in line at the DMV. Ill see how they digest what I send them first. :D

Screenial

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
That doesn't sound right. I'm in CA too, and it cost $5 plus the hour waiting, got it printed then and there in Pasadena. Maybe try a bigger DMV.

Can't you can print the online one at home, and then scan/upload? Different because it doesn't have DMV letterhead, but still official.
When I attempt it online it says "Record is currently unavailable through the Internet. Please complete the INF1125 form and mail to the DMV Headquarters address displayed on the form"

When I went to the DMV I was given the INF 70 and she pointed to the $20 fee box. It would be great if they could have printed something for me there. albeit, it wouldn't be the first time multiple trips to the DMV have given me multiple answers :rolleyes:

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
I just mailed in a copy of all my registration documents plus the dealer bill of sale and a short letter explaining why i do not have a previous owner registration document.

Upon reflection i can see why they might have asked this question as my current registration is fairly devoid of information and a start date.

We will see what they say.

EDIT-general text of letter-

To whom it may concern,

On xxxx date i received an email requesting a prior registration document. Unfortunately, i have already submitted my original registration document from sept xxxx via the online portal and it has been accepted. I purchased my 2012 Passat from a used dealer on september xxxx date, and as part of the purchase deal, they registered the car for me. They did not provide any prior owner registration documentation and i am unable to provide that.

Enclosed you will find another copy of the original registration document, a copy of the subsequent renewed registration document, and a copy of my bill of sale from xxxx dealer on xxxx date. I hope this may provide the information you seek.

Sincerely,
Xxxx

Last edited:

speedrye

Veteran Member
TDI
13 JSW DSG, 14 JSW DSG
^^That's about what I did. Basic letter describing that I only purchased the car last year and that I don't have access to the previous registrations for another owner. I did include a copy of my bill of sale and also mentioned that Carfax shows the original purchase in 2012 in NC and subsequent registration every December since.

I did fax my pages in per the email I received since it gave the fax or mail option. The portal only shows the mail option, so hopefully this works as it should.

Green Hare

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Glad to see I'm not the only one here. After having my docs "approved" back on November 3rd I too received notification that they wanted prior registration, on January 10th. Well sorry Claims, I don't have that. I sent you my current registration when I submitted my claim, and that remained valid until almost the end of the year, when just before my tags expired, I transferred them to my TDI replacement.

I sent about an 8 page fax with cover letter explaining that I only have the registration valid for the 2016 calendar year, but also included all of the original paperwork from when my husband and I purchased the car on July 31, 2010, from the odometer statement showing we took delivery with 77 miles on it, to the original application for title. Just today my portal is showing the blue eyeball on the prior registration.

I think the part that is most annoying is that numerous calls in to the claims line have reps telling me that all my docs are approved, my offer is generated, reading me the offer, etc., but can't figure out why it wasn't sent. Oh well, maybe this kicks it back in motion.

jorhay

TDI
2011 Jetta
I had green checks since Nov 2nd. No action until Jan 5th, when Previous Registration was requested. I didn't have any previous registration, I had already submitted my registration from when I purchased the car.

So I wrote a letter explaining that and resubmitted my first registration. A week later the system rejected it as an incorrect document.

On Jan 12th I called the 800 number and the lady I spoke with said i had to get the registration history for the car from the dmv. I told her I had already submitted my registration history and she reiterated that I needed the entire registration history from the dmv.

So I called the local dmv, Hamilton Co. TN, and spoke with several polite people there that had not received this request re the VW recall. They stated that previous owner's registrations were personal information and not available to me. After several group discussions, their recommendation was to submit MY registration and inform VW that's all that I had and could get.

I called back to the VW hotline and got a different representative and a different response. She said that I needed to submit my current registration. My previously submitted registration was valid WHEN I submitted it, but has since been renewed.

So I scanned in my current, active registration and uploaded that into the system.

Back to green check marks, still being reviewed as of this AM.

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
I just mailed in a copy of all my registration documents plus the dealer bill of sale and a short letter explaining why i do not have a previous owner registration document.

Upon reflection i can see why they might have asked this question as my current registration is fairly devoid of information and a start date.

We will see what they say.

EDIT-general text of letter-

To whom it may concern,

On xxxx date i received an email requesting a prior registration document. Unfortunately, i have already submitted my original registration document from sept xxxx via the online portal and it has been accepted. I purchased my 2012 Passat from a used dealer on september xxxx date, and as part of the purchase deal, they registered the car for me. They did not provide any prior owner registration documentation and i am unable to provide that.

Enclosed you will find another copy of the original registration document, a copy of the subsequent renewed registration document, and a copy of my bill of sale from xxxx dealer on xxxx date. I hope this may provide the information you seek.

Sincerely,
Xxxx
To update this I received an email today saying my previous (lack) of registration has been accepted, all green checkmarks again.

Narvelous81

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI
I got a previous registration email yesterday. Called claims and they said they needed 2015's registration. I don't have a copy of 2015's but I had a copy of 2014's. So I faxed that to them last night with a small letter stating that Texas DMV's don't keep old registrations in their computers. So we'll see what happens now.

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
To update this I received an email today saying my previous (lack) of registration has been accepted, all green checkmarks again.
sending the explanation letter resulted in an emailed offer, so this roadblock is surmountable, they are indeed reading these explanation letters.

KEP-GUY

TDI
2015 Jetta 2.0L
Previous Registration

I don't think the term "Previous Registration" may specifically refer to the vehicle registration. I think it may be better worded "Previous Ownership Documentation".
I purchased a used 2015 Jetta TDI from an authorized VW dealer several months ago in 2016.
After I filed a claim, I also received word from VWGoA requesting "Previous Registration".

First, let me say this dealer originally sold my vehicle -new to the first owner. It was traded in a year later. Then I purchased it as the second owner --all transactions were from the same dealership.

I phoned VWGoA and asked them what kind of specific info do you need. Their reply was:
"have the dealer send you on the dealer stationery
1 -The name of the original owner.
2 -The dates the first owner possessed this vehicle.
3 -Include the VIN."

I then contacted the dealer for this information. The dealer kindly told me they could not do this as it was a violation of Federal Privacy Laws. But the dealer did provide me with an up to date Car-Fax Report. The Car-Fax detailed the when purchased by first owner-when it was sold back to the dealer and when I (second owner) bought it. You know, dates, mileage, etc. but no names.

My next move was to contact the Wisconsin DMV and obtain form:
wisconsindot.gov/Documents/formdocs/mv2896.pdf[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Vehicle / Driver Record Information Request form[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Printed it and filled it out. Enclosed $10 fee for a Certified Copy and checked box 7. Mailed it out.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]A month later, I received from the Wisconsin DMV the info VWGoA said they needed.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Finally, I mailed the Car-Fax and the Certified Wisconsin Vehicle History documents to VWGoA and within about ten days, I received notification that they have received all the necessary documentation and a Green Check Mark too.
[/FONT][/FONT]

whatshouldido

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
suggestions for dealing with deny of proof of registration

In July 2016, I transferred the plate from my recall eligible 2011 JSW TDI to a 2006 Jetta. During the transfer, the notary took the 2016 registration card for the 2011 JSW. So I now have no registration card for the 2011 that I've kept in storage since then for the buyback.
I submitted the form to Pennsylvania Dept. of Transportation for proof of registration in December 2016. They provided the registration transaction history, but won't provide copies of old registration cards. I've submitted the 8 pages of information provided by PA twice since December 2016 and VW has rejected this documentation each time. They claim they will only accept a previous registration card with expiration date.
VW won't even tell me if I go and buy a brand new plate for the 2011 and get a new registration card if they will accept that.
They've accepted all other documents and told me they want to process my claim but need the registration card before they can move forard.

Can anyone help me with advice on what I should do next? I'm lost, they won't help me so now it seems like I have to go to an attorney for help.

Thank you!

peckham1

TDI
1980 Diesel Rabbit & 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon & 2011 Jetta TDI Sportswagen &
Registration History Submitted

Just got my printout from CA DMV and loaded that up. My appointment isn't until December 2017 and I have to get it smogged in October 2017. Should I just blow it off, or should I get it smogged? Pointless...:mad:

After y'all submitted the registration history - were you cleared, or did they throw another barrier into the mix?

Also, we just got notified that there is a FIX for CA TDI Jettas. Any thoughts? They did not explain how the fix works, though.:confused:

Cheers,

Darlene