Do 2.0's have to be registered for buyback

Motodude

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 q7tdi. 2012 q7tdi
I have a 2.0 for buyback and I did my other ones so long ago I cant remember. It is paid off but would rather just file it non use and get the title if I can instead of getting plates and paying for registration also.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Pretty sure you need to prove it is "on the road" so a registered car is a requirement.
Intent of the BUYBACK is to remove the cars from the road....
The paperwork REQUIREMENTS include a copy if the current registration.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
They only grab the title at the signing. Many reports of people turning in cars with temp transportation plates.

Also many states have grace period for registration to be road legal, NH is 10 days.

The wife registration on the '12 Passat is up this month, signed up for a date last week, got the 11th of July, we'll see if that one day will matter.

Motodude

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 q7tdi. 2012 q7tdi
They only grab the title at the signing. Many reports of people turning in cars with temp transportation plates.

Also many states have grace period for registration to be road legal, NH is 10 days.

The wife registration on the '12 Passat is up this month, signed up for a date last week, got the 11th of July, we'll see if that one day will matter.
I turned one in that registration had expired 2 months before turn in date

vinculum

TDI
2009 Sportwagen TDI, 2005 Wagon TDI
"Your vehicle does not need to be currently registered to be eligible. In order for the vehicle to be eligible, it must have been registered in the U.S. at some point between September 18, 2015 and June 28, 2016, but the registration need not have been in your name. In order for you to be eligible, you must have registered the vehicle in your name at some point after September 18, 2015."

https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/2-0-models/

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
Several different models. Selling them back to VW
The answer is no. It does not need to be registered.
Yes, but it must have been registered in your name at some point, and you have to upload a copy of that registration.

The registration does not have to be current. But it must be in your name.