MN Chat Thread

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Clutch = dead. I guess 245k is about all you should expect. $1000 sound right to have a shop replace it?
You really should take advantage of this to upgrade to a stronger clutch.

1st_TDI:)

TDI
2000 Jetta Forest Green
FYI

I moved out of Forest Lake and over to St. Cloud. I still work in the cities and will be moving back in a couple years. I will still be tuning in the cities, but more on-site or I have a couple garages I have access to as necessary.
I really need to come by and visit. There are a few things that I could use your expertice with if our schedules can match.:D

DWNUNDR

TDI
03 Golf TDi
just saying hi...

purchased and 03 Golf TDi last week for my commuter..

came from the local Subaru scene...

Looking forward to picking some brains on a few little questions I have..

like on a stock turbo what is the rev range for boosting? seems like mine boost form about 2k to 2700 then drops.. sometimes it will boost again just over 3000rpm... but not sure.. can hear the whistle and feel it a little but still trying to adjust to this car...

anyone into guns..? Ive also got a range in my yard south of the cities.. meet some peeps shoot some guns one day...

Last edited:

B.Reilly01

TDI
2000 New Beetle TDI
Well, after replacing the passenger side wheel bearing on my Beetle, I noticed oil collecting on the bottom of the output of the turbo. That was the final straw, I can't do it anymore with this Beetle. I assumed the oil seal in the turbo was gone. To add insult to injury the passenger side parking brake cable snapped. The windshield still needs to be replaced. I love TDIs and I tried to find another one in my range, but I was also looking at my pontoon knowing that I wasn't going to get my tow vehicle back for another year at least. I found a V10 TDI Toureg for 15K, but that's a stretch and I didn't trust it at that price. So now I have to prep the Beetle for sale, and I've moved on to a Jeep CRD. I'll be fixing the turbo one more time, then parting with this red lemon. Someday I'll get another TDI.

merkerguitars

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta
Clutch = dead. I guess 245k is about all you should expect. $1000 sound right to have a shop replace it?
Hey, sorry for not calling you back. That is about right, flywheel, clutch kit, reseal and install. Do you have a way to get it to Hudson? I might be able to tow i for you.

sirpuddingfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat, 05 Jetta
Well, after replacing the passenger side wheel bearing on my Beetle, I noticed oil collecting on the bottom of the output of the turbo. That was the final straw, I can't do it anymore with this Beetle. I assumed the oil seal in the turbo was gone. To add insult to injury the passenger side parking brake cable snapped. The windshield still needs to be replaced. I love TDIs and I tried to find another one in my range, but I was also looking at my pontoon knowing that I wasn't going to get my tow vehicle back for another year at least. I found a V10 TDI Toureg for 15K, but that's a stretch and I didn't trust it at that price. So now I have to prep the Beetle for sale, and I've moved on to a Jeep CRD. I'll be fixing the turbo one more time, then parting with this red lemon. Someday I'll get another TDI.
My 2000 Golf was a money pit too. It would have been slightly better had I been a little older and wiser, but everything (especially plastic) literally just fell apart. I blamed the Brazilian plant where it was built. My 2005 Mk4 has been solid. Wish I could say the same for my 2005 B5.5...

sirpuddingfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat, 05 Jetta
just saying hi...
like on a stock turbo what is the rev range for boosting? seems like mine boost form about 2k to 2700 then drops.. sometimes it will boost again just over 3000rpm... but not sure.. can hear the whistle and feel it a little but still trying to adjust to this car...
Welcome!
You're definitely not experiencing a standard TDI torque curve. You should have a solid pull to ~3500 and should taper off above that.
I'd recommend buying a cheap ELM327 OBD2 transmitter and getting Torque if you've got an android phone. It will read engine trouble codes and give you a slightly deeper peak at what's going on inside. It can read boost values in real time (up to a .1 second resolution) and even do some basic logging.
If you want to get deeper into things, the real VW OBD2 tool is VCDS.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
just saying hi...

anyone into guns..? Ive also got a range in my yard south of the cities.. meet some peeps shoot some guns one day...
Where is your range? MG's allowed? :D

Schuttsr1

TDI
2001 Golf, 2003 Wagon, 2003 Jetta
Hello,
Just wondering if there are any Biodiesel brewers around the south side of the twin cities or eastern Wisconsin?

haakonpe

TDI
1999 Golf
Well.... The TDI died on me in Abbotsford WI. +1 for AAA - best $140/yr I've ever invested in. -- and I would normally wouldn't use "invest" when it come to insurance.

Thank you JFettig for the sounding board and contacting Bob at Midwest in Hudson. With merkerguitars working on my Golf, I think this makes it a trifecta of the local TDI talent on this forum to work on it.

Not really sure what happened, I pulled into the gas station and was rolling up to a parking spot when the engine completely stopped. I've never felt what a seized up engine is like, but that's the best way to describe what happened. The oil was low, but I never heard any kind of mechanical sound that I would have expected to hear prior to something like that.

At any rate, it will be interesting to hear what the prognosis is. I'm prepared for the worst and hoping for the best.

haakonpe

TDI
1999 Golf
It sounds like Merker has this under control.

Apparently something in/on/near the fuel pump pulley came loose and fell out.

Merk - can you elaborate --- or is my understanding completely off base?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
We think the previous hack mechanic was drunk.

Not something Nick would have seen when he was in there. Nick did find one of the previous mechanics ****ups but wouldn't have seen this.
I'll let Merk post what he wants. I saw pics of it.

haakonpe

TDI
1999 Golf
Based on my dealing with Nick, this was NOTHING he would have done and would have corrected it if he'd seen it.

Read: My faith in Nicks integrity and ability is stuck at 110%

Stuff happens - I'm glad things didn't let loose at highway speed, and no one was injured. If this is the worst that ever happens I'll consider myself to be exceptionally fortunate. When this happened, I was coming back from visiting my brother in Green Bay. He was diagnosed with ALS 2 years ago. I've watched him go from a healthy 2nd degree black belt to a cane and walker. Please note: I'm not trying to pull any kind of BS sympathy card. I'm just providing background context for when I say this is really just an inconvenience, and things could be Much worse.

DWNUNDR

TDI
03 Golf TDi
Last edited:

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Based on my dealing with Nick, this was NOTHING he would have done and would have corrected it if he'd seen it.

Read: My faith in Nicks integrity and ability is stuck at 110%

Stuff happens - I'm glad things didn't let loose at highway speed, and no one was injured. If this is the worst that ever happens I'll consider myself to be exceptionally fortunate. When this happened, I was coming back from visiting my brother in Green Bay. He was diagnosed with ALS 2 years ago. I've watched him go from a healthy 2nd degree black belt to a cane and walker. Please note: I'm not trying to pull any kind of BS sympathy card. I'm just providing background context for when I say this is really just an inconvenience, and things could be Much worse.
Thanks haakonpe. :eek: I'm very disappointed to see this happen to your car which has already been such a basket case for you. As we've discussed before the PO of your vehicle did you no favors every time he touched the car. If he is a member here it would be good to know who this person actually is so as to avoid and/or warn others from buy from them. There are a couple of active members already on that list. :rolleyes:

Oh and I'm pretty sure jfettig was joking - you never know though with the way he drinks. ;)

Redlabel6

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta, 2005 Passat
I'm in Chaska, I'm certainly no pro like Nick and some of the others, but I have 2 TDI's and 2 VW gassers in the family fleet. I know my way around them somewhat.
David

my range is in my backyard

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151670399237921&l=1548d1fed2

just had a noise start up in the engine that has me worried...
just bought this thing as a DD to replace my civic that blew up....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF5_VclPlhw&list=UUCH8zbyhWZPoMHKGr4sQL9w
this is about 10 times as loud as the normal tick

any ideas??

anyone around the Jordan area that has VW knowledge??

DWNUNDR

TDI
03 Golf TDi
I'm in Chaska, I'm certainly no pro like Nick and some of the others, but I have 2 TDI's and 2 VW gassers in the family fleet. I know my way around them somewhat.
David
hey,

well today I am going to pull the cover off the top and check if anything stands out as metal hitting metal...

then Im going to do a fresh oil change and see if that has any chance of helping... maybe the oil is old in it.. I dont know...

mechanical noises dont always go well...

DWNUNDR

TDI
03 Golf TDi
so took the cover off... um well being that 2 bolts I couldnt get too... next thing I know I have the intake, egr assembly and cover pulled off...

I cant see anything in the cam lobes etc that is ... Holy crap look at that damage... so I am stumped..

guess I will clean all the egr and intake etc, put it back together, do an oil change and see if the noise is still there

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
It's quite a distance from Jordan to Hudson, but that's probably where you should take it. Midwest Motorworks.

Redlabel6

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta, 2005 Passat
Rust Warranty

Has anyone had any luck in getting a dealer to honor the 12 year rust warranty? My latest acquisition (2005 Jetta 2..5 gasser) has the front fender rust along with some in the rear wheel wells.

Just wondering what dealer might be the best to deal with.

David

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Eich Motors in St. Cloud honored mine even at 11 years, 11 months.

Has anyone had any luck in getting a dealer to honor the 12 year rust warranty? My latest acquisition (2005 Jetta 2..5 gasser) has the front fender rust along with some in the rear wheel wells.

David

DWNUNDR

TDI
03 Golf TDi
I'll probably be wrenching in the garage all weekend if you want to run it by. We can put our collective minds together on it.

David
Im fixing some other cars this weekend and installing a used motor into the car that I bought the vw to replace as my commuter....... but Im new to diesels and vws and dont get into internal stuff if I can avoid it..

Th e other issue is.. right now it wont drive.. or Im scared to drive it.. it stalled 10 times.moving it 30ft into the workshop last night.. changed nothing mechanical only cleaned egr and intake.. real noisey.. not sure if maybe i now also have a vacuum leak thats causing the rough running/stalling

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
If you put it in neutral and jumper the starter with the ignition off do all the cylinders sound like they have similar compression? Just saying that with bucket lifters a dropped valve is sometimes not too apparent.

Oh right, did you drain the oil from the intercooler? I got lucky with mine and it ran away when I was in fifth gear, so all I noticed was a bunch of smoke that confused me a bit.

Last edited:

sirpuddingfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat, 05 Jetta

David
I had good luck with Schmelz. The rusty area had to be "soft to the touch" before they would move ahead with the warranty fix.

I also had a friend succeed at West Side.