alh timing belt change and no start

mcarthur70

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 jetta wagon
i just done my timing belt change had the cam tdc with cam lock and crank at tdc . the injection pump pin goes in . But all it does is crank with no start . i double checked everything before i tried to start it . Here are some pics of my work can any one tell me if i'm wrong and what else to check ? thanks

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
hope these work ?

Yes they do
By the looks of it I think you’re in the wrong hole your pin looks a little crooked
The pin should align with the square rectangle on top the pump if you look at the pictures
Are you sure your crank and cam or correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Yep IP pin isn't in right, doesn't take much to not make it run, just finished changing my timing belt for the fourth time along with a head change.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
The flywheel TDC mark on a stick is easy - there's an index mark in the CENTER of the window and the flywheel mark is very clear as well.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
Did you insert your tools before you removed the belt? Always find your marks and insert your locks before removing the belt.

mcarthur70

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 jetta wagon
Yes , but the flywheel mark is the only one i have seen that is indented . By pictures does that look like the mark on a manual? Also does the cam lobes look at tdc ? I dont think you can get the cam 180 out right? Thanks for the help .

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Yes , but the flywheel mark is the only one i have seen that is indented . By pictures does that look like the mark on a manual? Also does the cam lobes look at tdc ? I dont think you can get the cam 180 out right? Thanks for the help .

Manual Trans

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none

Can Lobes

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Where is the picture of the installed camshaft index tool?

The IP pin tool looks crooked. You have it too zoomed in to see how it aligns with the pump. From the looks of it is way close to the serpentine tensioner indicating you have it in the wrong hole.

I agree.

I like the other locking tool (without the knob), because you can then use a mirror and verify it's correct. I imagine it's harder to see around the knob.

mcarthur70

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 jetta wagon
Those pics was from after i tried to start it. Im sure the injection pump is in wrong hole and im right now getting ready to re set it. But my question is the pic of the cam super 1 posted. My first 2 lobes are pointing the opposite way than that pic. My first lobe is pointing to the front of the car and the second is pointing to the firewall. Am i 180 out ? Thanks for help all you guys, this is my first timing belt from scratch with a tdi lol just used to good old v8's lol. Will post back in a few.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Those pics was from after i tried to start it. Im sure the injection pump is in wrong hole and im right now getting ready to re set it. But my question is the pic of the cam super 1 posted. My first 2 lobes are pointing the opposite way than that pic. My first lobe is pointing to the front of the car and the second is pointing to the firewall. Am i 180 out ? Thanks for help all you guys, this is my first timing belt from scratch with a tdi lol just used to good old v8's lol. Will post back in a few.
This photo is a bit more clear for the lobes @ TDC:

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual

First of all, if you are using the camshaft index tool as I indicated in my email then the lobes can only be correctly aligned as you have it. But I cannot tell if they are accurate to the proper tooth by looking at it visually. I can see how you can be confused by his pic. The lobes are not actually in the correct position.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
First of all, if you are using the camshaft index tool as I indicated in my email then the lobes can only be correctly aligned as you have it. But I cannot tell if they are accurate to the proper tooth by looking at it visually. I can see how you can be confused by his pic. The lobes are not actually in the correct position.
Yup, that confused me the first time I went through the TB procedure looking at the position in the photo posted on the first page. That is NOT TDC orientation.

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none

Yes sorry I sent the wrong Pic
This should be it

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
You CANNOT set the cam position by looking at it. you MUST use the cam lock tool as there's no way to be anywhere near precise enough without it.

Yes, both lobes on #1 must be up -- but the slot has to be EXACTLY horizontal with the head, and you can't do that visually -- you have to remove the vacuum pump and insert the lock tool.

mcarthur70

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 jetta wagon
Update! It was the injection pump ! I retimed the pump per pics from super 1 and it started. But started to do a oil change and the oil filter cap striped with my wrench so ill have to get a strap wrench tomorrow to get it off. Thanks to all of you for the help today !!!!