Issues starting 2012 TDI Golf

2012TDI-swilson

TDI
2012 Golf 4d 2.0L TDI
I’ve had my Golf TDI for a while. I had the emissions fix done and the airbag replaced (finally). Recently (after the airbag was replaced) when pushing the start button and pushing on the brake the car does nothing. I thought maybe it might be the brake pedal part of it that was doing it so I started to push on the brakes 2x which brings the pedal up a little higher but doesn’t seems to change the start issue. I have recently been trying to roll my finger around on the start button and sometime after 3-5 seconds all the lights come on and it will start after the glow plug light goes off just like it used to. Is there any history of that push button switch going bad after a few years that anyone has experienced or heard of. I’m nearing one of my routine maintenances so I will probably have them take a look at it but the problem is that it’s intermittent. If it sits overnight, it will almost always be an issue to start it. Sometimes it just starts right up on the first push. We’ve also been having problems with shutting it off. Last night I pulled into the garage, pushed the button and it stayed on, pushed it 2 more times before it finally turned off on the 3rd try. Just curious if this is a common issue or something specific to my car. Thanks Scott

2012TDI-swilson

TDI
2012 Golf 4d 2.0L TDI
Thank you very much

That was an excellent referral. I has a step by step procedure for disassembling the switch and cleaning it. I’ll give this a try. Thank you for sending me to that site. Scott :)